Frequently Asked Questions - (FAQ)

Beorn-eL-Feared said:
Then, in it, you add the line Noaipatrol=0
You can also have it keep your current screen resolution by adding the line KeepRes=1 (useful on LCD's)
Or make it skip the intro video, line is PlayIntro=0
GREAT!

All this great tips! Thanks! :goodjob:

I think I'll a backup copy of the changed conquests.ini file in case my PC crashes again!

that must be quite a record bump for a FAQ-thread... ;)

i once thought i understood it, but obviously haven´t, so i am asking this:
how do you earn a cow award? (same question in other words: what is the base score?)

it obviously isn´t the highest Firaxis score...

templar_x

As far as I recall, base score is the cumulative in-game Firaxis score before the victory bonus is added. It averages the values for happy population and territory over the turns played.

To win a Cow award, you typically need get close to the domination limit, and maximise your population, as fast as possible, then play to 2050 AD without triggering a victory. This "milks" the score - hence the name.

But, assuming you are interested in award-bagging, you might as well trigger a victory condition on the penultimate turn. You have practically the same chance of winning the moo, and you gain the opportunity to win an otherwise-uncontested award, typically the 100k.

Sorry, yes. I should have made it clear: Victory avoidance is only required up to, and not including, the last turn.

I have returned to Civ3 after not playing for 6 or 7 years. I am playing a COTM (just my second conquests game) and need some help on general rules and whatnot. Is there a tool I can use or should use to sum up the QSC part of the game? What might be the most common no-nos...I take it we aren't to reload but what else?

If there is a one stop shopping place for all the info I need I'd like a link. Using Win7 btw in case I need a utility.

Thanks in advance.

Is the Steam version compatible with the cotm competition? And anyone know how to launch PTW on the steam version?

Hi, welcome :wavey:

The Steam version should work fine for the GOTM (PtW) and COTM (C3C) competitions as far as I know.

Not sure. I don't have the Steam version, I have Civ3 Complete. In my installation, there is a separate executable. You might want to try looking in the \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ folder. That's where your Steam game software lives, and if you have PtW then it will be in there somewhere.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly:

Do we download the GOTM from the thread on this forum then post the final save in the same thread? Or is there a different way to turn in your saved games? The FAQ didn't really specify how to turn them in so I just wanted to be sure I'm assuming correctly.

Also, is there a way I can download the latest patch? Sorry if this one's been answered before. There's so much info on this site it's hard to sift through it all!

Hi, welcome to GOTM-land. :wavey:

Have you visited the GOTM web site.?

Here is the summary text from the home page ...
Each month we publish new start files for the most popular Civ3 and Civ4 game versions. Players download and play them, and submit their final saves for comparison with the other entries. We rank the entries by speed and score, taking into account the type of victory or defeat.

It's easy for any CFC member to join this friendly competition:

• Click an image link in the left or right side bar of any page to go to a current game page for your Civ version.
  • Download a Start File from that page, and play the game once without replaying any turns.
  • Upload your final save before the deadline for that game, using the Submit page.
  • Discuss your game with other players in the Forum Spoiler threads.
  • We will post results and statistics to rank your attempt against those of other players.
Check the introduction page for more details.

The link had a couple of extra characters that crept in, now fixed. For some reason the site is a bit slow tonight.

Ah there we go I see where to download and submit now. Thanks for the link. You might want to add that onto the first post on the page so that other new people like me won't be confused on where to go.

I did. We probably got out of the habit of including links as there are very few new Civ3 players out there, and even fewer who find the GOTMs.

There is a link to the GOTM home page in the GOTM forum entry under the Civ3 forum listing, of course.

I didn't answer your question about patches. The CFC Home page has links to lots of the basic data. This is the link to the Patches and Updates page for Civ3.

Thanks!

Another question, among the current games listed is "Classic QSC 128"

In this do we start our own game under the quick start option and submit our game that way or do we have to download a save like all the other GOTM games?

Thanks!

Another question, among the current games listed is "Classic QSC 128"

In this do we start our own game under the quick start option and submit our game that way or do we have to download a save like all the other GOTM games?
You use the GOTM 128 save and then submit your save from the end of your 1000 BC turn. The QSC just compares everyone's stats (of those who submit their saves) at that point in the game. You shouldn't start a new or seperate game. Use the 1000 BC save from the game you'll be submitting for GOTM 128.

Top Bottom