1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Future of RifE

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Failed to mention: it is a civ4 mod.

2. Valkrionn

Just finished restructuring the main forums; there is a new forum for E'item, where any and all announcements will be made first.

3. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

i'd suggest making a thread here as well for every major announcement about Eiten ... (or at least a thread) ... you know ... to show that it's still active (signature relevant) ...

4. Valkrionn

Of course. I said it would be there FIRST, not only. ;)

5. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

yeah, yeah, let's hope it won't end up just like the rife blog

6. JEiK66

JEiK66 Chieftain

A toast to RiFE! May your future endeavors surpass what came before!

Thank you so much for all you have done.

7. Trappisto

Trappisto Chieftain

Thanks all, RiFe has been the most long lived gaming experience of my life. Absolutely fantastic.

I look forward to learning about E'item, although I guess I must face up to it being further away then Rife 1.4 ever was!

One more question (from a player far from bored with the Rife) - Will the rife code and 1.4 plans be available incase onyone else from the Civ modding comunity would like to continue developing Rife/Erebus and building on all your great work?

8. Valkrionn

All of our code is available on the SVN at all times, and anyone is welcome to it. ;)

9. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

I wonder Valk - will you/we release the design sheet ?

10. Valkrionn

Most likely not, as some of those designs are still being used

11. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

well it seems E'item will came before RifE 1.4 :D as 1.4 seems to be abandoned and what we'll have is a 1.3.195+ (likely a 1.3.288+) :D
    EDIT : but the good news for me is that as it will be a cIV BtS mod... I'll be able to play it :D :woohoo:

12. Valkrionn

13. Calavente

oupsy...
    sowwy sowwy.

so Eitern... euh... Ei'ten ... .... E'iten.
    okay... I think I've got it. I won't make any more errors, pinky promise ;)

BUt if you are open to discussion (I know you are not - well, at least I know you won't change the name ;) ) I'd say that names with apostrophes are hard to write :D even if quite common in fantasy settings.

and how to you pronounce it ? "He-aïtèn" ? "Hé-heaten"?

well, I'll manage, and become your biggest fan. or at least the hundredth biggest fan or something like that.

good luck ^^

14. Valkrionn

Honestly, I pronounce it "Iten", the ' is mainly just... there. It's the name of the Earth-Mother-Goddess for one of the civs (analogous to Gaia), and all of their names have apostrophes. The little flavor text I have written up won't reveal much, so might as well post it.

"In the beginning, E'iten, the Mother, provided for the Ek'enaen. Food was but an outstretched hand away, prey came willingly to the slaughter, and all were at peace. The Ek'enaen revered E'iten above all others, for what child does not love their mother most? Jealous A'uen, Death, tried to tempt the Ek'enaen to revere him instead, but knew only Fear, which can never conquer Love. For centuries A'uen screamed his rage at E'iten, filling the skies with his hate and the earth with his rage. The Ek'enaen were shattered, barely clinging to life on those parts of E'iten least touched by A'uen's anger.

Finally, Ay'as, Wind, took pity on the Ek'enaen, blowing away A'uen's hate and drowning his rage with her tears. The Ek'enaen again felt the sun's gentle kiss on their skin, and still revere Ay'as above all; All, that is, except E'iten.

-Transcription of the oral history of the early Ek'enaen"

Few things to keep in mind: Their gods are not real, unlike in FfH. This is simply as close to an explanation of a wholly natural disaster as they are capable of making. The nature of that disaster is, of course, a secret for now.

(Incidentally, the Ek'enaen are the group I described as brown-skinned orcs without spikes.)

15. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

Calavente ... and you still haven't seen Opera's names - student of linguistics can be sometimes dangerous when generating new names, especially if she even makes her own fantasy language

16. Jheral

Jheral Prince

Aye; Opera built a world to go with a conlang - not the other way around...

17. Calavente

lol.
    I'm waiting for it :D
    But take notice that nothing can be as bad as the elven names from tolkien :D
    I don't fear the names, I don't fear the names, I don't fear the names...Etc

Well I understand Opera's proceedings as far as you described it :D one can become enamoured with a conlang ; then you invent the culture/people speaking it, then the neighbouring countries...Etc
    I'll be all "ears/eyes" to see it. I think It'll be as fun to discover opera's language than discovering her civilization... (I think I remember that Opera is a girl. Is she?)

My only comment was "apostrophs in a middle of a name have become givaways of fantasy settings". In truth I do not agree completly with this sentence I read somewhere, but I thought it was appropriate here..

18. Foxdrake

Foxdrake Chieftain

Well I've played all the Civ's (I, II, Call2Power, AlphaCen, III, IV - and all expansions) but have not played V.

Why? Too much bad press. Simply put, I heard/read that it sucks.

I even returned the console version "Civ-Rev" for the Xbox 360 - which I read is very similar to V. Hated that, so if V is Civ-Rev redux...f-that.

All that said, is that the short of why you're staying with IV?

And if so, god bless you sir.

19. Valkrionn

Not at all. I like many of the basic ideas of V, and with some work it could be a great game.

The reason for staying with IV is quite simple; The DLL for V is still not available.

20. Alornal

Alornal Chieftain

I understand, and wish you well on your new adventure. Hope to follow along; Civ4 is one of the few games that runs ok on my comp.