1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Future Update?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

2. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Prince

Denis Shirk said 'we're not done' in the September update announcement. That might not mean an expansion, but myself and others would like one. (I think) Gathering Storm was a finantial success so it seems like another expansion in that mold would be logical.

Hawke9 likes this.
  3. Pistol90

Pistol90 Warlord

Maybe one reasonable explanation would be they didnt planed third exp, but after two-three months in 2019 they changed they mind ... that would be reason why there is this delayed.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  4. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Another possibility, which may have already been covered in this 134-page Thread/Hawser, is outside Pressure:
    In September they may have been planning a modest Expansion/DLC to "round out" a few things, but about that time the discussion of Humankind began to pick up steam (The Humankind Thread in CivFanatics started in late August), and then the announcement (not followed up yet) of Soren's Ten Crowns 4X game, and since then announcements on UbiSoft's latest installment of the new Settlers game which looks suspiciously like a form of "Colonization" 4X game and much more Historically-based than the previous Settlers versions.

So, were I a Firaxoid I would start to hear the faint howls of metaphorical wolves closing in on my 4X Troika.

More prosaically, it may have caused them to go back and see just how much they could cram into a next offering to forestall some of the forthcoming competition, or at least deflect some of the critical discussion from these Forums and elsewhere. Since, presumably, the 'not done' part from September 2019 is their best shot at getting something out ahead of the Competition in 2020, it would make sense to make that 'pre-emptive shot' the best one they could.

5. Pistol90

Pistol90 Warlord

Yeah, and if they put enough things in Civ 6 everyone will just try those games for month, and return to Civ 6 because it's simply offers way more. That move will kill any competition of FX at the beginning.

6. Icicle

Icicle Prince

A dating app where women have to initiate contact.

RohirrimElf and Loerwyn like this.
  7. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

IF that were true, why are there so many Threads on this Forum alone with suggestions for changes or improvements, Mods to change, improve or completely revise, and complaints about the mediocre handling of numerous portions of the current Civ VI game?

Given their history so far, I doubt that anything that Firaxis and/or their affiliates can or will do will "kill any competition". In fact, given their developmental prowess so far displayed, I suspect that some of their moves will make the competition look even better . . .

8. bbbt

bbbt Deity

If we are getting a third expansion, I think the most likely reason for a delay was suggested previously: that they are aiming for a simultaneous release on all platforms (also a potential reason for patch delays now that everything is in sync). I.e. PC/Mac/iPad/Switch/PlayStation/Xbox.

9. Pistol90

Pistol90 Warlord

Because this is forum for Civ fanatics, not regular players. It's like Formula 1 driver say to his mechanic "This car sucks, we need better acceleration, grip etc" ... if you give F1 car to regular person he would be like in space ship.

I belive 90% people who played Civ never won on Diety, or spend 5% time on that game like people here.

Victoria likes this.
  10. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

No file changes visible in steamdb, but that cuts both ways - perhaps they aren't working on anything imminent. However, recent activity can also mean that bugs aren't worked out and therefore no imminent announcement.

We know there was work on a patch last year. Why has the patch release been delayed? Such questions are fuel for pages of speculation....

Meluhhan and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  11. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

Wait, maybe we should start a thread on that.... oooohhhhhh....

12. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

Aside from the comment from Dennis last fall, we also have:
    • Missing Civs like Babylon, Maya, Portugal and others that many people consider essential
    • "Rumors" of a 3rd XP from the leaker who "predicted" Gathering Storm with 100% accuracy
    • A spacing of the Hall of Fame design that perfectly fits the number of leaders for a 3rd XP
    • A single game experience that is now available on more platforms than ever before, which makes the potential market for a 3rd XP much larger - instead of making a console or tablet only version (a la Civ. Rev.)

13. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Difficult civs like the Minoans aren't impossible -- it'd just be difficult to do the leader justice.

The leader would have to be Minos or Pasiphaë and they're only legendary... but the historicity of Gilgamesh and Dido is also tenuous at best. So historicity isn't an issue.

The language would have to be garbled Linear B, instead of the untranslated Linear A they actually spoke... but then Civ6 has Gilgabro speaking Akkadian instead of Sumerian, and heck, Civ5 had Boudica speaking modern Welsh and Attila speaking broken Chuvash. So language isn't ultimately an issue either.

The Minoans could theoretically be done. It'd be kind of a sloppy job, but it'd be the best that could reasonably be done.

Now the Olmecs on the other hand, would be much harder. We assume they spoke something like proto-Mixe-Zoque, but we don't know for sure. And we don't even know the names of any of the leaders. It's a shame too, because they are otherwise a very worthy and indeed, an important missing entry.

14. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Perhaps it is all about just getting it right.

If it is coming this would perhaps be the last, well last biggie change so they want to polish it well. Then there is more platforms for testing it on. So it quite possibly be a much more longer change time than previous iterations so expecting the same cycle of change is a fantasy.

15. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Seems unlikely we're getting a Third Expansion at this stage. FXS added, what, 10 achievements to Steam? That sounds like not quite enough achievements for a Third Expansion...

My best guess is that, based on the survey, we're getting something between DLC and maybe a few "mini-expansions". Maybe based a bit around particular themes, like they did with Civ 5. Unlike Civ 5, and again based on the survey, I think the DLC / Mini-Expansions will be more than just Civs, Leaders, Wonders and Scenarios. I'd expect there will also be buildings and units, maybe a new district, and possible some discreet new mechanics (I'd be really surprised if we don't get Ideological Pressure or something like it).

If there are new mechanics, I'd guess they will be limited, and may actually come via a free update rather than as part of the paid content - I bit like how the Khmer DLC re-worked Religion and added Warrior Monks etc. and this was provided for free.

I don't know if FXS had originally planned a third expansion and then changed their minds. The leak suggested a third expansion was envisaged, as does the gaps in the HOF. But my best guess is something did change which lead to the survey.

One reason is that they thought DLC / mini-expansions would allow FXS to develop the game for longer, by breaking development into smaller steps. Sure, that might ultimately be more profitable, but in fairness it could also lead to a better game. There's so much in the game now, that a more incremental approach might be better, to avoid throwing everything out of balance. That approach might also let FXS balance resources better between developing Civ 6 and developing either IP.

Kjimmet, CPWimmer, Meluhhan and 3 others like this.
  16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think the same way. I think they had been angling towards a 3rd expansion for a while, but something prompted them to reanalyze their approach. Whatever they're going to do soon is a result of a new marketing strategy guided by the survey we filled out last summer.

Inawordyes, Kjimmet, CPWimmer and 3 others like this.
  17. Alucard648

Alucard648 Chieftain

You forgot missing wonder - Statue of Zeus.

CPWimmer likes this.
  18. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Yes, I'm a little hopeful that "not getting a Third Expansion" actually ends up meaning "getting all the stuff that would have gone into a Third Expansion, plus a bit more, plus a longer tail on updates / patches and livestreams with those guys at Firaxis".

Indeed, that would probably be a better result overall, even if it means we don't get the "big bang" of one big sexy expansion.

19. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Plus a higher cost, of course. The smaller DLCs provide far less content per dollar than the large expansions do.

20. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

I hope firaxis could find a new business model for civ 6 that focusses more on improving existing systems and less on adding more content. Improving the AI might not sell wel, but it is more exciting then new features for me personally. I would get really excited over a naval combat overhaul and tweaked agression in 2nd part of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.