1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Future Update?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Two things help this formulation: first, military and civilian medicine had a lot of 'cross-over' from the Medieval Era on as they were dealing with many of the same diseases of over-crowding (either in a city or a military army encampment) or trauma and second, in virtually all military establishments after the Renaissance (first 'modern' armies in Europe in the 17th - 18th centuries, for example) medical support was administered by the same supply establishment that brought up supplies like food and ammunition. Complete militarization of both was amazingly long in coming (not until the late 18th and mid-19th centuries, depending on which army you study), but it means that Medical Support can be part of Military Supply and also Civilian Epidemic Control without stretching any of the terms too much.

An elegant solution, since, presumably, a Plague Mechanic in the game would also affect both military units and civilian 'population points'.

2. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Yep, there is an Ideas & Suggestions forum which is the appropriate place for such discussions. Of course, for whatever reason there's only a sliver of the views you get here, so it's the kiss-of-death forum essentially, but there it is.

We definitely don't need the Paradox approach of introducing new systems while the existing game is left in need of tweaking.

Check the AI wonder spam, where a civ will be milling out every wonder it has the capacity to build, even when it needs to be attending to other needs.

Check the AI atacking city-states even when an ally is the suzerain.

Check the barb camps that can spawn units at the bleeding edge of technology, don't have to accrue strategic resources, and regenerate units instantly after destroyed.

Check all these crazy districting costs where I can't build a lousy harbor in the medieval era without it taking 25+ turns.

Check all the world council votes where all the civ's choose the same outcome, thus letting them push through votes that no amount of favor can block. Sick of having a Great Prophet embargo that I'm the only ones fighting against.

Stick to the essentials.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Krajzen likes this.
  3. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

I don't precisely know what it is, but I know there is some approach to adjust a few of the civ6 formulas and tech costs so that the game flows very smoothly and accommodates 'getting the harbor up on an island outpost' but also doesn't devolve to district spam. At this point they wouldn't change it, but at this late stage in the civ6 cycle I would be fascinated to hear how the devs feel the systems turned out. No product is perfect and I know they have opinions on what could have gone better.

Krajzen likes this.
  4. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

I don't see why the could not change it to something more fitting now that they have more data.

Krajzen likes this.
  5. oSiyeza

oSiyeza Warlord

I agree in most of what you said. I was not arguing that plague doctors did counter the plague, that did not happen. My point is that ancient medicine, including plague doctors cannot be just dismissed as ineffective.

I have to point also that your data is correct, Occident was hit much harder than India, China or Middle East, but your conclusions are not. The reasons why that was the case are indeed in debate, and the reasons why the plague stopped in Europe are also in debate. But here is the thing: we know that mortality in Europe was much higher than anywhere else; we know that the spread in Europe was much faster than anywhere else; we know that cold weather did not stop the plague in Europe, but it did everywhere else; we also know that in India, rat populations died by the millions before the rat parasites jumped to humans in significant numbers, and it was so noticeable that people learned to predict the plagues, that also never happened in Europe.

All in all, modern research discards the rats as the main vector in Europe and points to a fast human to human transmission that did not happen in Asia. So modern medicine points that the European plague was not exactly the same or was completely different than the endemic bubonic plague of India.

Also, among the contributing factors according to the experts on why the plague lost effectiveness in Europe with each new wave is, besides growing immunity and population factors, the effectiveness of quarantines in seaports.

In the end, nobody knows how effective the quarantine procedures were in saving lives. You say not much, I think it may have saved thousands or hundreds of thousands of lives. We don't know, but the truth is that even nowadays, when a new disease appears, we still use quarantine, cause it is still the best way to fight an unknown disease.

PS: I totally recommend watching "the hot zone", is a miniseries about an ebola outbreak that almost jumped to the US. One of the most interesting things about it are the small segments in Africa that show a bit of how the outbreaks were contained by local militia; how local medicine men and traditions were partly effective, but also served often to spread the disease; and how western christian missions caused by accident the death of entire populations. Is really scary stuff, and as far as I know, is a somewhat accurate depiction.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Boris Gudenuf and AntSou like this.
  6. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Thank you for the clarifications. I was not aware that they had tracked differences in the type of Plague hitting Europe versus India, which would go a long way towards explaining the different effects of the epidemics.

My 'quarantine' data comes from the first Official Government measure, adopted by Venice in 1403 CE (when they also invented the term 'quarantine' to describe the effective isolation of the city against disease). Geoffrey Parker's book Global Crisis includes considerable data on the effects, spread, and in some places disastrous consequences of the plagues that accompanied the climate and political disasters of the 15th - 17th centuries world wide - indicating, among other things, that the infamous Medieval Plague was by no means unique, nor even the most widespread set of disasters of the historic area.

And, of course, we are now living through another 'quarantine era' in respect to the Coronavirus outbreak, although so far, the measures being taken appear to be less than totally adequate (since the first US case of the disease was discovered less than 100 kilometers from my home!)

AntSou and oSiyeza like this.
  7. Haig

Haig Deity

Today in Facebook the official Sid Meier's Civilization shows a picture of hall of fame from a player who has won with all the leaders.

Normal person in me: "Ok they are highlighting this to inspire players"

Civfanatic me: "Clearly they are teasing me by showing how the hall of fame has room for more leaders! Have they no shame?!"

679x, Jeppetto, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  8. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: If you want to discuss details of a Plague mechanic, please start a thread in Ideas and Suggestions. Back to topic please.

Victoria and acluewithout like this.
  9. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

I am pretty sure it has been established that Kevin has no shame.

Kjimmet, WillowBrook and Haig like this.
  10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Finished my Chandragupta game last night, I only have one left to go. Latauro, he's one of my least liked, mainly because he's hard to use well. I'm undecided how I want to play him. I always play huge map, epic speed, so it took a while to finish.

And yes, there is space at the end of that list, but seeing it's the end of a list, theoretically there's infinite space.

11. Socrates-

Socrates- Chieftain

Kinda new to this whole rumor-mongering-scene so I might be Captain Hindsight, but since there's a total of nine leaders missing to fill in the gap there 'must' be a expansion on the way right.. If I remember correctly both R&F and GS added nine new leaders to the game.. :)

kaspergm and Haig like this.
  12. nauberry

nauberry Chieftain

The orginal reddit post is already two months old. It makes you think, why are they posting it now?

WillowBrook and Haig like this.
  13. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

On PC version HoF layout there are 9 leaders "missing". But on PS4, HoF layout looks like this on my TV:
    Spoiler :

Only 6 leaders "missing". Make of it what you want.

Funnily enough, the iPad version HoF "misses" 9 leaders, like on PC, but on iPhone there are only 6 "missing", like on PS4.

It seems finding a common denominator for 11 and 13 is in order. Which is 11x13=143. So only when we have 143 leaders, those rows will be neatly aligned on all the platforms. I can't vouch for X-Box and Switch not throwing a wrench into these calculations though, can't check them.

So there we have, FXS have brought it on themselves - 143 expected leaders in total. I'm fine with this :) A DLC or expansion plan for 10 more years :smoke:

AsH2, Meluhhan, Hawke9 and 13 others like this.
  14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I had a fun game with him going religion. The GA attack bonus works with religious attacks too (or at least it still did when I played it). And hopefully you start near a bunch of mountains and other appeal areas so you can use your improvement.

15. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I like your line of thinking, but tbh., while I'm all for another expansion for Civ6, which will hopefully bring it better up to its potential than its current state, after that I hope development will proceed towards Civ7. Civ6 has too many inherent flaws to be sustained for another 10 years imo.

16. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

(Post below is from December 15th...)
    Crossing my fingers for some kind of news starting today or as late as next Thursday...

Hawke9, AntSou, Socrates- and 8 others like this.
  17. AntSou

AntSou King

You know that scene where the Mountain just offhandedly murders Qyburn as if he were nothing but an afterthought? Like swatting a fly?

That's what you just did.

Hopefuls: "There's nine spots left in the hall of fame! It means 3rd ex..."

MrRadar: *Curbs your enthusiasm*
    ---

Tbh I don't have much enthusiasm left to be curbed, but still... like beating a dead horse.

Jeppetto likes this.
  18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Look on the Bright Side: Beating a dead horse tenderizes the meat . . .

AsH2, Kimiimaro, Hawke9 and 4 others like this.
  19. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

No news today. Another pointless filler

Duuk likes this.
  20. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Sorry! I'll try to uncurb it with this inspirational quote:
    “Let's think the unthinkable (meaning: let's think 3rd expansion is still coming), let's do the undoable (continue to wait patiently and hope for it). Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”
    Not sure how to interpret the last part, so in short: “Don't Panic.” :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.