[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is and isn't the most complex. It's definitely the most complex in terms of different game mechanics (which is part of the reason the AI has trouble).

This is complexity.

However it isn't terribly complex in terms of overall strategy even disregarding the AI. There's minimal empire management challenge and it's basically expansion over all else.

This is depth.

You can use complexity to buy depth, but at the expense of approachability. Complexity that doesn't add depth is bad.

I think that Civ VI is both more complex and deeper than previous games. That's not to say that Civ VI is a deep game, though. The others were just less so.

new depot for upcoming stuff and no updates to it for days shows that it is purely to show that the game is not dead

Due to the lack of any activity or news in the time periods we hoped for, I sort of zoned out when it comes to news surrounding this game, not really expecting anything anymore. It's really great to see confirmation of something being on its way now, despite not really thinking that Firaxis were done with the game.

Without going on a rant I hope that the next expansion doesn't make this game more casualized, for which I feel this game has suffered from greatly. A lot of the mechanics, especially compared to other games in the 4X genre, involve the player looking at and clicking a button, then they’re done. Yes, it may make the game take slightly more longer, or make it a tad bit more interesting, but I feel as if the developers are too afraid to rework core mechanics and give the game more depth. Mechanics like loyalty rarely make a difference unless the AI is being notoriously impaired, and a lot of fun in this game, ironically, comes more from poor coding and bugs as opposed to what the developers actually intended. Oh well :crazyeye:

Could someone summarise what the last few dozen pages have been about? Is there anything beyond 'there's this new slot for DLC', or has it all just been wild speculation and hype?

Could someone summarise what the last few dozen pages have been about? Is there anything beyond 'there's this new slot for DLC', or has it all just been wild speculation and hype?
That's pretty much it. But it's pretty definitive proof that they are working on additional content, settling one if the major debates that had been raging in this thread.

just reading eagle pursuits posts will do since 2-3 days ago.

It is and isn't the most complex. It's definitely the most complex in terms of different game mechanics (which is part of the reason the AI has trouble).

However it isn't terribly complex in terms of overall strategy even disregarding the AI. There's minimal empire management challenge and it's basically expansion over all else.

I've said before they have all the pieces (loyalty, amenities, revolt, etc) but don't seem to want to pull the trigger. I suspect because they don't want to be too much of a frustration to the lower level players who just want a fun builder. I really wish they would take another look at how they do difficulty levelling as that could assuage a lot of issues.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Soren Johnson's Ten Crowns is his comment about playing and balancing the game as a challenge first WITHOUT any opponents (AI or otherwise).

That's odd because I consider myself low level fun builder and I have more frustration with Civ 6 than Civ 5. Feels like on lower diffs it was easier to snowball into empire sim on Civ 5, there were less things to micromanage in Civ 5 and it was possible to win easier with fewer cities in Civ 5.

I don't understand how Civ 6 is supposed to be less frustrating to low level players when it tries to enforce some anti-snowball restrains everywhere with further situational micro-management. Policies were changed from step by step snowballing into evolving and switching set-up of limited amount of benefits, Envoys cannot just be bought by spamming Trade Routes and piling up large amount of gold resulting in alliance with majority of world, units don't start with free promotions, district placement must be managed further, district limits must be managed, Wonders have larger restrictions and cannot be piled in single powerhouse city. I could go on.

It is good to see we’re back in more-solid CivSpecFanatics territory. Hopefully the wait to finding out what’s coming next isn’t too long

I do wish I could have builders auto-improve in Civ6. Towards the end of the game it starts getting a bit tedious. That would be a good new mechanic they could add :)
Future era builders get replaced with worker drones that don't have charges and instead just auto-improve features over time!

Also I do miss some of the "national" buildings from Civ5, I think there could be a place for something similar in Civ6. Currently the only unique building/district like that is the Government Plaza.

Reactions: Xur
i dont think we will ever see automated workers in Civ 6. Same for civ 7 if their current reason for making them have limited charges holds.

i do wish ME had an automated build road/RR along this route. it would also be nice if the AI built RR...

i dont think we will ever see automated workers in Civ 6. Same for civ 7 if their current reason for making them have limited charges holds.

i do wish ME had an automated build road/RR along this route. it would also be nice if the AI built RR...
Right now the AI collectively can’t put pants on. It would be a miracle if they could build A railroad

Would it not be a good idea to make a seperate sticky on the most important updates. Like a maintainance from one or multiple moderators/members. Who could make an update when something significant has changed. For the last 5 months or so this was relevant at 3 times or so. Civfanatics would not have to go through 10 pages of winter patch tabs. Since information is so scarce it could be usefull. But when firaxis drops the bomb there have always been members who have spend a lot of time to make a good summary. Even when the flow of information is high. So the sticky could be relevant at all times.

It could also be beneficial to the moderators as this tread has trailed off so many times. There have been weekly reminders by the moderators to behave ourselves and keep on topic. (i apologise for not strictly behaving as well at some times. But you know. impatience)

Right now the AI collectively can’t put pants on

lol. This is a great quoto to phrase it correctly.

Last edited:
Would it not be a good idea to make a seperate sticky on the most important updates. Like a maintainance from one or multiple moderators/members. Who could make an update when something significant has changed. For the last 5 months or so this was relevant at 3 times or so.
I'd say no, because officially NOTHING has happened in the last 6 months. This thread is based on datamining, wild speculation, a survey that was sent out last year, and the devs saying, "We're not done!" at the end of a video 6 months ago.

Officially, there hasn't been a peep since then. So "important updates" from Firaxis are... <crickets>

If the mods made an "Eagle Pursuit only thread" where he posts only the "hard facts" it would make it look like we actually knew things. But... we don't. We know literally nothing. For all we know the "runner" depot is a build for a fantasy spin off conversion. That's HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but it's possible. So marking anything as "Stuff That's Important And That We Know" is the equivalent of saying that someone knows, with 100% certainty, who will win each and every state in the US Presidential general election in November before the Democratic primary is even over.

I wouldn't expect an official announcement for a little while, especially if it's a big DLC.

*dons speculation tinfoil hat*

If it's XP3, one possible interpretation of the 'Runner' codename, taken with Ed's tweet, could be that they intend to announce it the week of the Boston Marathon (20th April). As this is about 2 months from now, that would fit with the gap between SteamDB update and announcement that we've seen in the past for big DLCs.

That might mean we're waiting a while. On the other hand, we now know for certain that *something* is coming, and the longer we're waiting, the more likely it's something big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom