[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say no, because officially NOTHING has happened in the last 6 months. This thread is based on datamining, wild speculation, a survey that was sent out last year, and the devs saying, "We're not done!" at the end of a video 6 months ago.

Officially, there hasn't been a peep since then. So "important updates" from Firaxis are... <crickets>

If the mods made an "Eagle Pursuit only thread" where he posts only the "hard facts" it would make it look like we actually knew things. But... we don't. We know literally nothing. For all we know the "runner" depot is a build for a fantasy spin off conversion. That's HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but it's possible. So marking anything as "Stuff That's Important And That We Know" is the equivalent of saying that someone knows, with 100% certainty, who will win each and every state in the US Presidential general election in November before the Democratic primary is even over.

Technically, a spin-off is its own app and wouldn't be tied to the game it's based on.

Would it not be a good idea to make a seperate sticky on the most important updates.
I'd say no, because officially NOTHING has happened in the last 6 months. This thread is based on datamining, wild speculation, a survey that was sent out last year, and the devs saying, "We're not done!" at the end of a video 6 months ago.

Officially, there hasn't been a peep since then. So "important updates" from Firaxis are... <crickets>
Moderator Action: Would you please allow us to manage the site. This is off topic and unnecessary. If you feel the need to tell us how to manage things, please start a conversation with one of us or report a post and explain what you think needs to be done.

Technically, a spin-off is its own app and wouldn't be tied to the game it's based on.

Unless civ6 code base could become framework for spin-offs being released as DLC's, like fantasy 4x, steam-punk 4x, proper offspring of alpha centauri and beyond earth (a man can dream :) ).

I was hoping for such a "long life span" of civ6 for quite some time. If base framework would be good enough, releasing some conversions or spin-offs on it as DLC's would be viable business model IMHO.

Unless civ6 code base could become framework for spin-offs being released as DLC's, like fantasy 4x, steam-punk 4x, proper offspring of alpha centauri and beyond earth (a man can dream :) ).

I was hoping for such a "long life span" of civ6 for quite some time. If base framework would be good enough, releasing some conversions or spin-offs on it as DLC's would be viable business model IMHO.

Even then, it's more of a copy and paste deal. The spin-off would be it's own thing and would have it's own files that are copies of the Civ VI files with the modifications needed for the spin-off.

Beyond Earth is a separate game from Civ V on SteamDB with no links between them.

Even then, it's more of a copy and paste deal. The spin-off would be it's own thing and would have it's own files that are copies of the Civ VI files with the modifications needed for the spin-off.

Beyond Earth is a separate game from Civ V on SteamDB with no links between them.
True to that. With my idea there are technical difficulties, where you basically have to either sell civ6 base game to every person who wants to play one of the spin-offs, or you have to make civ6 base game being free to download. It's most likely easier to go with your suggestion and just use base code to release it as separate app in the stores.

The question is just what's more interesting for them, a separate game with the risk of people refusing to buy something looking just like a big civ6 mod at full price, or making it a civ6 DLC with the risk of people refusing to have to buy the base civ6 when they are only interested in the new content.

They surely know the answer, between Beyond Earth price/sales, the survey, the prices/sales of civ6 expansions, the development cost of Red Death released with a free patch, etc...

While I'm still in the 3rd expansion team, I won't be fully surprised by a change of the spin-off development model.

Civ6 engine seems more mature than Civ5, I think they made a few change to the Civ5 core to develop Beyond Earth on top of it, while Civ6 is maybe able to integrate something of that scale directly.

If it's XP3, one possible interpretation of the 'Runner' codename, taken with Ed's tweet, could be that they intend to announce it the week of the Boston Marathon (20th April). As this is about 2 months from now, that would fit with the gap between SteamDB update and announcement that we've seen in the past for big DLCs.

If "runner" means anything, my guess is that it means no more than this and or that Ed is involved (although, I assume Ed is involved in everything to one degree or another).

I'm certainly not expecting anything getting released soon.

Beyond Earth based on Civ 6 engine would be very cool. I'd prefer it as an actual spin-off to Civ 6, e.g. which actually requires the Civ VI base game and maybe made new units available for Civ 6 future eras, but whatever. If they did that with BE, they could maybe do that with Colonization as well - i.e. release it as a Civ 6 spin-off, requiring the Civ 6 base game, but just focused on the colonial era and with it's own funky monkey mechanics. Perhaps a game built more around naval dominance and or attitudes / beliefs / allegiances for your citizens.

Still, BE using Civ 6's engine would be awesome - districts and split tech tree in particular seem a natural fit for BE.

Last edited:
Glad to see hope back in your beautiful faces! Haha

Just my two pennies on why this cannot be a regular DLC.

Its obvious that FXS cares a lot about civ, since the civ dev cycle was far longer that the one of XCOM2, and that game was a smash hit. However, after so long from the las DLC content, it is very weird that they decided de to start adding more DLCs. To do only one would be also pointless, and to start a new DLC cycle now does not make a lot of sense.

So here is what I think it may be happening. Just like in XCOM2 with the legacy operations. They may just be doing a closure addition to the game. Which would be a big DLC, with some polish, some new content like two civs and two leaders, some new scenario a lo RedDeath, some stuff asked for by the fans such as a Notre Dame Wonder, some improvs in the World Builder, to make it finally functional. And just some additions to close the game dev cycle. Maybe it is also released for free like in XCOM2.

The other only option that seems to make sense for me, would be an expansion at this point.

Gathering storm had codename Vesuvius , now we have runner .... didany DLC's had codename before they were released ? I think not. I belive it would be expansion, I am like 80% sure ... they will say hounestly "This is not big as Gathering Storm, which was out largest expansion ever, but we surely put a lot into this final expansion, and in next weeks we would go thouht details with you guys"

Gathering storm had codename Vesuvius , now we have runner .... didany DLC's had codename before they were released ? I think not. I belive it would be expansion, I am like 80% sure ... they will say hounestly "This is not big as Gathering Storm, which was out largest expansion ever, but we surely put a lot into this final expansion, and in next weeks we would go thouht details with you guys"

"Vesuvius" and "Runner" are not analogous. Vesuvius never showed up as a name on the Steam DB. The only reason people know about it is because a leaker said it. "Runner" isn't a "code name" it's just the name of the package. For GS it was boomgoesthedynamite then it was changed to something generic.

If Runner is indeed a third expansion we'll likely not ever know the "code name." To answer your question though yes other regular DLC have had package names like this.

If "runner" means anything, my guess is that it means no more than this and or that Ed is involved (although, I assume Ed is involved in everything to one degree or another).
IIRC, Ed was not publically involved in any of the big patches since the release of GS (which doesn't mean he wasn't involved at all, just that the patches weren't his primary thing), supporting my speculation that he's heavily involved in whatever is coming next.

If "runner" means anything,
in my world runner means we finally have something that seems to work OK. It’s an alpha version ready for first tests... or beta if all alpha tests are internal.

i could not find any entry to pax east 2020 by firaxis , ed beach or anything related to civilization. surely if the release was within a few months they would have been present there to make some kind of announcement?

i could not find any entry to pax east 2020 by firaxis , ed beach or anything related to civilization. surely if the release was within a few months they would have been present there to make some kind of announcement?

Not necessarily. When was the last time that Firaxis announced anything in an event? The last I remember was Xcom 2 War of the Chosen at E3, back in 2017.

Not necessarily. When was the last time that Firaxis announced anything in an event? The last I remember was Xcom 2 War of the Chosen at E3, back in 2017.

They have made announcements adjacent to events though. Beyond Earth springs to mind. It was announced during but not at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom