[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longshot here, but could they be doing an A->C on Runner?
Such as boomgoesthedynamite -> invention of dynamite/construction -> railroads/tunnels (also nobel prize if they wanted a double)
Maybe its Runner -> Marathon -> Something to do with the battle of Marathon? Like the Persian fleet?

Bit of a stretch I know, but if so thats not terrible for a naval rebalance kind of idea.

Honestly, the two things I am most looking forward to are:
  1. Getting some clarity on what FXS’s plans are for the game, and

2. This thread getting put out if its misery.
I don’t know what we’ll get, and am too exhausted / over it to try guessing when we’ll get something.

But I’m maybe quietly hopeful it’ll be good, both the inevitable patch and whatever content we get.

Other than being cryptically (and at times annoyingly) silent sometimes, the game has been going in a really good direction and FXS seem to have the right approach overall.

So long as Ed is involved, and people keep buying content, I’m reasonably confident good things will happen even if all my particular pet ideas / grievances etc don’t get addressed.

[edit: format, typos]

Last edited:
Just knowing they are working on something puts me at ease.

They could have done this "news without news" ages ago. The depot Runner should have come first, followed by the STK achievements.

That's how little they have to do in terms of non-communication to keep us engaged. Not optimal, but still a step above their current approach.

I really think we get so little because people get so engaged with so little. Let’s not do that and their approach will change.

I think Firaxis just has a slightly old-fashioned approach to community engagement.

The Humankind threads on these forums get just as excited over the tiny details, but an Amplitude representative engages with us almost every day (obviously only within what they are allowed to disclose). It’s a much healthier and more rewarding approach and proof, I think, that they have learned from other studios’ failures.

speaking of engagement, I saw the video for Baldur's Gate 3 yesterday, and I'm excited about that. Though I admit I wasn't a big fan of D:OS 2, but I'm still optimistic for BG3. I do like some of the things Larian studios is doing.

As for runner, we'll have to play the waiting game. I admit I would like 8 new civs and 9 new leaders with a full expansion. But we probably don't need too many new systems, we have so many already, but maybe 1 new system to shake up gameplay. And dare I say, it's time to bring back ideology from Civ5, the one good thing from that game. Though I'm not sure how it would work with the future governments, but it could still work since those governments are just extensions of tier 3 ones.

Well I think we need at least 2-3 new systems ... all of them in late game, maybe one in some new renaissance era, and at least two in industrial and modern to make game more interesting. Something about trade and corporations would be must have for game in order for most people to finish games they started ....

Well I think we need at least 2-3 new systems ... all of them in late game, maybe one in some new renaissance era, and at least two in industrial and modern to make game more interesting. Something about trade and corporations would be must have for game in order for most people to finish games they started ....
Throwing the kitchen sink at things hardly ever works IMO. It'll just muddy things up. The issues with civ are not that there are not enough "systems"

Throwing the kitchen sink at things hardly ever works IMO. It'll just muddy things up. The issues with civ are not that there are not enough "systems"

Agree.
I think an overhaul of combat would be a good "system" that doesn't pile on to the 16 other concurrent "systems".
Oh, and it could serve as an excuse to improve the AI.

Agree.
I think an overhaul of combat would be a good "system" that doesn't pile on to the 16 other concurrent "systems".
Oh, and it could serve as an excuse to improve the AI.
I think doing more to integrate the ones that are already there (or alternatively make it more clear how they already are)

Ya yeet.

Some changes in depots revealed name Civilization VI Portculis. It would be odd to have such on the nose change before official announcement, at the same time even weirder to keep project name in files as one would assume they'd have to rename it all - even GS uses GS in files instead of Vesuvius, right?

Or is there something I am missing, maybe just some name of utility that was known before and I am over-exciting over nothing? The Hunt for the Bird of Prey, I summon thee for help.

EDIT: And just as I post this the prophet spoke.
EDIT2: And I just realized those are removals too. Alas me.
EDIT3: Ah yes Win64Portculis has been in files this whole time anyway, false alarm.

Ya yeet.

Some changes in depots revealed name Civilization VI Portculis. It would be odd to have such on the nose change before official announcement, at the same time even weirder to keep project name in files as one would assume they'd have to rename it all - even GS uses GS in files instead of Vesuvius, right?

Or is there something I am missing, maybe just some name of utility that was known before and I am over-exciting over nothing? The Hunt for the Bird of Prey, I summon thee for help.

EDIT: And just as I post this the prophet spoke.
EDIT2: And I just realized those are removals too. Alas me.
EDIT3: Ah yes Win64Portculis has been in files this whole time anyway, false alarm.

The Smoke build updates occured before they removed those configs.

Where did "smoke" come from? Is it a build that has been used before? I see in the update an hour ago, that it went from 3478373 to 4710895. But I struggle to find this old build or "smoke" in contents.

Where did "smoke" come from? Is it a build that has been used before? I see in the update an hour ago, that it went from 3478373 to 4710895. But I struggle to find this old build or "smoke" in contents.

They used it during the lead up to Gathering Storm. I presume it's for Smoke Testing, which is a general test to see if anything breaks.

I wonder why they are testing everything except Runner on it? Are they prepping it for Runner or is there some new functionality being tested for the existing game?

Well, if they started with smoke testing --- that's probably indication everything what is intended to be there now is there ... but probably not finished. Even though sometimes there can be added features after smoke testing, but I would assume that in game development you would start smoke testing after you added everything you planed.

Well, if they started with smoke testing --- that's probably indication everything what is intended to be there now is there ... but probably not finished. Even though sometimes there can be added features after smoke testing, but I would assume that in game development you would start smoke testing after you added everything you planed.

It's everything except what's going to be in Runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom