[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RF - Eras: totally new feature.
GS - Natural disasters: totally new feature.

No matter how much you gussy up trade, it is NOT a totally new feature. I quite agree it would be interesting and A Good Thing, but it's not a big enough peg to hang a new expansion on.

This goes back to the sad story of the development of Microsoft. Word 2 was not a bad word processor. But in every further release, instead of fixing things, Microsoft added new features and more bloat. Why? Because of their marketing department, who are not going to run an advertising campaign on the theme of "Hey, we fixed stuff that was broken" but instead, "Look at the new features: Object Linking and Embedding!". (Remember that? Ever used it?)

Civilization is not Microsoft Word, but it's still the case that Firaxis has a marketing department of some sort, and they may not be happy with a campaign for "Civilization VI: Merchant of Venice - now with better trade than it had before" - though I'm sure it would be fun. (And a good excuse to bring back Venice.)

Well an expansion means :

9 leaders.
Economic victory type.
Some new stuff.
Adjustments.
Well if they introduce new victory type like economic victory, then it may be enough to have a solid theme for expansion. Add some tweaks to trade system, 9 new leaders and it totally looks like a expansion content that I would actually buy.

GS - Natural disasters: totally new feature.

No matter how much you gussy up trade, it is NOT a totally new feature.
Ok, so I'm going to tell you AGAIN, because apparently you are a very slow type: I'm NOT saying "trade", I'm saying developing the resources to be something more beyond +1 yield or +1 amenity, while ALSO making improvements to the trade system to go along with it.

Moderator Action: Please do not troll. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
dont start a dlc vs expansion discussion please , you will scare away the firaxis bean counting people away and we will get nothing. let them finish it and sell it , we can decide later how much we are willing to pay and how long we will wait for the inevitable price reductions

So xp3 announcment if there is going to be most likely would be last week this month ... according to historians here ...

I would love to see late era more dynamic, it is most problematic thing in entire game .... maybe economy and trade could make it more interesting, some Medieval, Industrial power houses to lose everything because of trade, but if there is going to be something about trade it wont be big deal, and that is my biggest problem with Civ 6. Thing dont matter than much: loyalty, climate change, disasters - everything is good idea, but it is not soo important in game.

There is definetely more room for a third expansion centered around economy and diplomacy.

It's not about fixing, but redesigning the whole systems and make them more dynamic.

Althogh even if they don't do it, as long as they release that thing modders need to properly mod the game I'm happy. The base is already very good imo.

We had eras before, and all the base game actions generating Era Score, just without a drawing. All they did was slap Point tracker on it, make it milestone and make bonuses based on Points. How is this big enough feature for entire expansion but the proposed expanded trade (storage system, new type of resource, new type of dealing not quite like deals not quite like trade routes, enhancing buildings through resources gained this way slotted to them, economic victory connected to this) isn't?

Yeah I'd guess an economic victory and possibly the return of corporations as the cornerstone of a new expac. Possibilities:
-Basic 'crafting' based on buildings and resources. I.e. iron + coal = steel
-Custom luxury goods (from great merchants, from crafting)
-Corporations based on the above two
-Have to 'dominate the market' with your goods to win the economic victory.

"Dominate the market" could have many implementations. More of a 'fungible goods' market system ala Endless (unlikely imho). Possibly the literal implementation of the civ 5 'blue jeans and coke' cultural victory - i.e. you have to get your custom luxury goods into every other civ (create 'demand' that creates unhappiness without them, spies can create black markets in civs that refuse them, etc.)

Other significant features that could come:

-Plagues seem like a definite possibility given the scenario in GS. They could also do some form of 'co-op' victory with plagues, i.e. Civ:pandemic where a mass plague comes and everyone has to work together to defeat it. Unlikely, but it comes to mind everytime I think of plagues because of pandemic.

-Ideologies - at the moment there's minimal. My ideal would be less 'communism vs capitalism' and more things like 'environmentalism' or the like - where your actions have to be in sync with your chosen ideology or your citizens start getting unhappy.

-Enhanced religious play with 'state religions' as has been suggested.

-Revamp of loyalty and amenities so you have cities more likely to leave your empire if you expand to fast (maybe level or slider dependent)

-Revamp of alliances and diplomacy - I think if your allies go to war with each other (or one of your city states) you should have to choose one, or have a trade option to force peace.

-I've said before that I'd love to see goody huts, barb huts, free cities, and city states all be on thing. I.e. your early interaction/choices can help evolve a barb hut into a free city then a city state, or deal with it for a bonus. Unlikely as well imho in Civ 6, but might be more what we get in Humankind.

Yeah I'd guess an economic victory and possibly the return of corporations as the cornerstone of a new expac. ... Other significant features that could come: ... -Ideologies - at the moment there's minimal.

I'd hope any revamp of the economics side of the game is tied to ideologies, given that ideologies are really more about how societies organise their economies rather than about political systems.

Last edited:
Anyone remember Star Trek: Birth of the Federation, Microprose’s Star Trek 4x game?

Outside of the main empires, the alien races were like minor civs. You could interact with them with non-aggression pacts, friendship treaties, affiliation treaties and finally full membership, where they’d join your empire and you’d get their unique building/bonus permanently. You could also subjugate/liberate them by force.

I wish city-states could grow into minor civs that you could interact with in this manner.

Suzerainty implies a vassal relationship, which shouldn’t be the only way to interact with city-states.

I'd love to see a trade rework that involves trade routes, amenities transported, colonies, etc.

Yeah, my ideal would absolutely be something along the lines of luxes having to be transported by trade routes instead of magically distributed. At least at the get go. Maybe something like two cities being connected by railroads means that is no longer necessary.

What do you think now of chances for a patch in November?
I don't want to kill anybody hope but I would recommend keeping calm. Scenario, where we will not have third expansion is still the most likely. Firaxis should start working on it before Gathering Storm release - it means far before our famous survey. It is not a spontaneous decision that is implemented in a few weeks. What I mean is a decision that there will be the third expansion should be made back in 2018 at least.
What I do expect is a winter patch and maybe (it depend on the survey) a new series of small DLC in 2020.

But. It does not mean the third expansion is impossible. Just watch out not to be disappointed.

I don't want to kill anybody hope but I would recommend keeping calm. Scenario, where we will not have third expansion is still the most likely. Firaxis should start working on it before Gathering Storm release - it means far before our famous survey. It is not a spontaneous decision that is implemented in a few weeks. What I mean is a decision that there will be the third expansion should be made back in 2018 at least.
What I do expect is a winter patch and maybe (it depend on the survey) a new series of small DLC in 2020.

But. It does not mean the third expansion is impossible. Just watch out not to be disappointed.

People do not base it on the survey but the fact that the leaker who leaked GS long before its announcement leaked civs for possible third xpack too.
It's still possible they changed their plans and will release content differently, though.

People do not base it on the survey but the fact that the leaker who leaked GS long before its announcement leaked civs for possible third xpack too.
It's still possible they changed their plans and will release content differently, though.
Well, first of all, this is not true.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/next-expansion-civ-6
not to mention many people in this forum infer similarly.

Second, the leaker said third expansion is possible He didn't say it is certain.

Well, first of all, this is not true.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/next-expansion-civ-6
not to mention many people in this forum infer similarly.

Second, the leaker said third expansion is possible He didn't say it is certain.

First of all, that's one article, other people only speculate off that that there will be additional content, not its form. In fact the survey seemed more focused on the form of the content.

Second, he literally said possible/likely/might about everything. He didn't directly leak things, he always speculated. So yes, third expansion is as possible from his words as Hungary as full civ or possibility of Eleanor leading either France or England. Sounds like good odds for me.

Also I was mainly responding to the fact you said not having 3rd expansion is most likely scenario, which is hardly true, especially since YOU literally said the decision would have to be made fairly in advance, which makes the leak very relevant, more relevant than the survey. Yes, there's still possibility they changed plans, but considering its opposite "most likely" is really hard denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom