[GS] Future Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't said this in a few pages, but the whole "we need to add health" thing continues to drive me nuts. Health=Housing. Replace the two words in your head and you basically have a health mechanic. If you want to tweak it, makes all the sense in the world. Let's please not double it up with redundant systems.

Yes, in the current implementation the mechanic labeled housing is really a stand-in for both housing and health. However, as health and housing are pretty obviously not the same thing, there's nothing unreasonable about wanting them implemented as two separate mechanics instead of one, just as there's nothing unreasonable about you wanting to keep it the same to avoid feature bloat. But the people who want a health mechanic aren't blind to the fact that health has been combined with housing - they just don't like that it's been combined with housing.

I haven't said this in a few pages, but the whole "we need to add health" thing continues to drive me nuts. Health=Housing. Replace the two words in your head and you basically have a health mechanic. If you want to tweak it, makes all the sense in the world. Let's please not double it up with redundant systems.

You're the one assuming that a Health mechanic would be a copy of Civ 4 Health and therefore redundant since there's Housing in Civ 6.

What about Plague and Epidemics? That's Health too.

There's potentially non-redundant ways to go about it. Disease is a fundamental aspect of Human Civilization. It has wiped out peoples, brought about Dark Ages, and still hover's over our heads today. There's so much potential.

If I am looking at correct page (I even forgot how I got it, I think someone here mentoined the SteamDB page) there has been quite a lot of commits for QA for Max and Linux.
The most recent updates have been for the internal testing branches for Mac and Linux. Before any patch, those builds will need to go to 2k for approval, and that involves two other branches.

Maybe the housing system could get a bit rework?^^ People seem to like complaining about it anyway, in particular to how easy it is to get housing now.

Maybe ExoticNight refers to knights having to travel to a foreign country, as in a crusade. This could refer to an overhaul of the religious system. Maybe some type of quest needs to take place for a RV.

So, in light of the resumed qa testing, I have a tin foil hat of my own.

The last qa update prior to this was by Firaxis on Nov 11th. The last Aspyr qa update was Oct 30th.

My theory is that by late October things were looking grim for the console ports. First, all the Aspyr people got sidetracked from the patch and expansion to work on the console ports. Two weeks later, 2K ordered Firaxis to have an emergency all hands on deck shift to QA-ing the console ports. This meant that all patch work and all expansion work was delayed by anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks. That includes marketing. The ultimate effect was that 2K opted to delay the announcement and release of the expansion. Maybe they only had to delay it by a week and a half and it gets announced in the next few days. Or it got delayed so much they just said screw it and wait until after the holidays.

But this explains why Firaxis had a release party for some ports that ostensibly Aspyr did all the heavy lifting on. As a thank you to all the people who had to do emergency crunch time in November.

/tinfoilhatoff

I'm starting to think that this tin foil hat theory is on point and the expansion exists but got delayed. It's either that or aliens.

Maybe the housing system could get a bit rework?^^ People seem to like complaining about it anyway, in particular to how easy it is to get housing now.

I wouldn't bat an eye if they fully converted Housing into Health, to be honest.

tbh, the first thing i thought when i read ExoticNights was "Civ 6 - 1001 Nights." :D
Scheherezade as an alt leader for Arabia confirmed :crazyeye:

Okay, I'm taking a Christmas avatar now and I hope by the end of Christmas time I will have a new leader available for a new civ avatar. :D

I'd actually take Scheherezade, if she comes out cute.

Her leader ability will be acquiring 1001 unique Great Writers over the course of the game

Her leader ability will be acquiring 1001 unique Great Writers over the course of the game
So she would be Russia? Would she lose automatically if one is captured?

tbh, the first thing i thought when i read ExoticNights was "Civ 6 - 1001 Nights." :D

...but maybe that is the real hint. :think:

Eclipse and EMP mechanics... oh boy. :crazyeye:

Sorry, but it is not a matter of blaming someone.
It is just the basic information I need as a customer. I will explain to you why we should all expect it from Firaxis.
This is basic customer information. If someone has a certain amount of money in their budget to buy games and possible Civilization VI third expansion is on the list - lack of this information is blocking your purchase decisions. Even more, if you lose your patience and allocate all your budget into other games than it is not good even for them... Games today are more and more services and a predictable publishing cycle is very desired.
I do not expect anything more. Just a simple answer. Yes or no.
Then we can start craziest speculations. About third expansion or Civilization 7. It doesn't matter.

I don’t know what to say beyond it’s frustrating there isn’t more news.

It’s a tricky one, because the game is on good shape. Some stuff still needs a bit of tweaking, but since the last patch most of the game is really solid. And the game is also arguably a bit short on content in a few areas, particularly around the end game, but that said there is a tonne of good stuff to play and explore particularly with all the new fab maps.

I also generally like FXS’s media strategy - basically just hanging out with them on the couch when there’s a patch or expansion, and a bit of posting / tweeting if something is a bit curly and needs to just be put to bed. I really don’t want endless dev diaries or chatter on forums - feels needy.

I’m also sure they’re good reasons for not saying anything, although hard to Guess what those reasons are.

But, yeah, it’s frustrating. I’m not enjoying the current silence. I’m happy to wait for a patch or expansion or whatever, but I’d like a horizon just so I can plan my time better.

Yes, in the current implementation the mechanic labeled housing is really a stand-in for both housing and health. However, as health and housing are pretty obviously not the same thing, there's nothing unreasonable about wanting them implemented as two separate mechanics instead of one, just as there's nothing unreasonable about you wanting to keep it the same to avoid feature bloat. But the people who want a health mechanic aren't blind to the fact that health has been combined with housing - they just don't like that it's been combined with housing.

I much prefer housing to health. More abstract. More indirect. Giving every tiny thing its own named Mechanic actually makes the game feel much smaller and quite silly.

I much prefer housing to health. More abstract. More indirect. Giving every tiny thing its own named Mechanic actually makes the game feel much smaller and quite silly.

Amen to this! Too much metrics is too much. And in particular, I don't see how housing fails to capture health and more. The only reason for a new sub-metric like health would be imho if we need it to put a 'fun' mechanics like plagues that interacts with it. But it would have to be indeed fun and enrich the experience to counterbalance the cost of having yet another parameter dulling the experience.

I was looking at a list of upcoming games, and I don't think Take-Two has anything announced for 2020 yet at all in terms of AAA games (they have things like Kerbal Space Program 2 coming on their Private Division label). I find it unlikely they wouldn't have at least one major title per financial quarter, unless they've decided to sole exist on GTA and Red Dead online micro transactions. The Civ expansion remains the best Q1 2020 candidate imho.

On the other hand, take two's website itself seems like it would be last place to look for info. Their page currently lists Civ 6 as 'coming soon' - on PC (and no mention of Xbox/PS/Switch): https://www.take2games.com/games/index.php?game_id=342

So she would be Russia? Would she lose automatically if one is captured?
Since Great People can't be captured, it's more likely she would lose automatically if she went a turn without generating either a Great Writer or a Great Work of Writing :lol:

Back to serious speculation. If we don't hear anything today, next week remains a remote possibility, but if not I think we are looking at 2020 before we get any news. I am surprised we haven't seen anything of a patch or hotfix, though. It seems sloppy to go until the New Year without patching That Exploit since it seems to be really damaging to the MP game in particular.

I suppose it's possible they had a patch in the works and they are now looking at fixing this as well, so have delayed it?

Since Great People can't be captured, it's more likely she would lose automatically if she went a turn without generating either a Great Writer or a Great Work of Writing :lol:

Back to serious speculation. If we don't hear anything today, next week remains a remote possibility, but if not I think we are looking at 2020 before we get any news. I am surprised we haven't seen anything of a patch or hotfix, though. It seems sloppy to go until the New Year without patching That Exploit since it seems to be really damaging to the MP game in particular.

I suppose it's possible they had a patch in the works and they are now looking at fixing this as well, so have delayed it?

if nothing gets announced this week i believe the devs are facing some setbacks. It would be bad not to offer something during this time of the year. If only a 3 second gif of a powerfull storm or say eathquake without explanation.

I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!

Don't you worry, I'm just another crazy theorist. The idea of LongjumpingBuffalo being a reference to Rise and Fall comes from my speculation that the names of 3 expansions would vaguely match the tone of three perorations of speeches Churchill gave during the Battle of France, forget about it. That being said, my bet for the name of the EP is 'Finest Hour'.
I mean, nights are pretty much the most enjoyable time to explore a hot jungle, isnt it? Yeah, not gonna happen.
Or maybe 'Darkest Hour', dark exoticness of the dark being a reference to Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'?

Regarding Buffalo's civs, his guesses are less impressive if you think how they could have emerged. There was a picture of a Maori leadermodel leaked already, there was an Ottoman ship and there was a concept art of a medieval queen thought to be Eleanor, as there was Castle of Poiters or something in the background. Incas and Mali were both quite predictable, Noongar, Colombia and Burma, while interesting proved themself incorrect. The only really impressive guess was Hungary (with an incorrect leader), but he claimed to be a Hungarian translator, so we could just assume that he was just a wishful Hungarian or something.

However, you'd think that if he really was Hungarian, he would know that there is no official translation of Civilization VI...
What, they pitched the whole roster to the leader speech translator?

Screenshot_2019-12-05-11-25-46-1.png

Don't you worry, I'm just another crazy theorist. The idea of LongjumpingBuffalo being a reference to Rise and Fall comes from my speculation that the names of 3 expansions would vaguely match the tone of three perorations of speeches Churchill gave during the Battle of France, forget about it. That being said, my bet for the name of the EP is 'Finest Hour'. I mean, nights are pretty much the most enjoyable time to explore a hot jungle, isnt it? Yeah, not gonna happen. Or maybe 'Darkest Hour', dark exoticness of the dark being a reference to Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'?

Regarding Buffalo's civs, his guesses are less impressive if you think how they could have emerged. There was a picture of a Maori leadermodel leaked already, there was an Ottoman ship and there was a concept art of a medieval queen thought to be Eleanor, as there was Castle of Poiters or something in the background. Incas and Mali were both quite predictable, Noongar, Colombia and Burma, while interesting proved themself incorrect. The only really impressive guess was Hungary (with an incorrect leader), but he claimed to be a Hungarian translator, so we could just assume that he was just a wishful Hungarian or something.

I wasn't aware of that second bit. In any case, I still believe it's the same person. The nickname structure, and the fact it was referenced by AssemblingTyphoon, and Typhoon's post referencing him was on the very same day Buffalo's account was created.

However, I'm less inclined to believe the nicknames on reddit mean much. AssemblingTyphoon was the only account created here, and there's nothing cryptic about it.
---

As for you Churchill's theory, why would you think it relates to the speeches when you've got something better to base it upon? The names of two of the volumes of his World War work are:

Triumph and Tragedy.
The Gathering Storm.

Their Finest Hour
is one of the names of the volumes. But how would that fit as a vague descriptor of the game mechanics? The titles Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm capture the essence of the game remarkably well. Whose Finest Hour? People's? That would fit into a game giving Pops their own Culture and a reworked Loyalty system.

I don't think the next title can have another negative connotation like Gathering Storm, however. so Darkest Hour doesn't quite fit imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom