G-Major 14

What leader did you use, Ozbenno?

Elizabeth. Financial for massive cottage spam in 2 of 3 legendary and philisophical for GA spam in 3rd legendary.

I just played as per jesusin's guide research-wise.

I've been running map-finder this arvo and have yet to find a map showing more than one health resource :mad:

On to my 6th attempt. This is crazy. I can barely get Alphabet in the BC years, let alone Liberalism.

6 attempts! My head spins.

You can't be serious about Alpha, are you?
You have no barbs and a corn-rice-gold start, don't you?
You beeline to Alpha, don't you?

I am on my 7th attempt now.

I don't beeline Alphabet because I need Bronzeworking first don't I? Can't do many goldmines or clear any forests without it. What is the fastest beeline to alphabet?

I don't think I've ever had corn, rice, and gold together in any of my attempts so far.

In my last game, alphabet took 60 turns to research. I was second to last to get to it.

So this game can't be done without a very specific freaky start then? Is it my random starts rather than my lack of skill that is holding me back?

probably, I think you'll eventually get it, but without mapfinder to find the better maps for this gauntlet, you'll probably end up taking 15-20 attempts again.

I don't doubt you'll succeed though, you managed to win a couple of these gauntlets just by refusing to give up! :goodjob:

I don't beeline Alphabet because I need Bronzeworking first don't I? Can't do many goldmines or clear any forests without it. What is the fastest beeline to alphabet?
No, you don't. Change your views. This is not any game. This is Deity. You won't research BW, they will research it for you.

The only way to keep the pace is to trade. So please, really, beeline to Alphabet (or CoL-Alphabet if you can get the religion and be first or second to Alpha). Please, do, I would like to see you winning a game this Gauntlet.

I don't chase the fastest beeline to Alphabet, but the most useful one. You have 2 pigs? then through AH. You have cottageable land? then through pottery.

MapFinder is mandatory if you want to be the best player in this Gauntlet. If your goal is "just" to win a Deity cultural game, then you don't need it, any good start will do. If you get a bad starting position... I don't know if it is winable, why not regenerate?

First attempt, first ever deity game and roughly following jesuins' game plan got me within 12 turns of a win when Asoka launched. I guess this will actually be possible :crazyeye:

Had a solid start with gold+corn+3floodplains, and i dont think i will win with anything less...

So how is this game best set up? I picked Liz on inland sea with low sealevel, and as opponents i went with Washington, Mansa, Hatty, George, Louis and Asoka. I'm not sure if these are the best in terms of trading and not backstabbing... It also seems like you have to be lucky to get decent spots for the rest of your cities. I had to build my 6th city along the edge of the map with only 5 non-desert plots, and this was in 300BC...

Off to give it another try, good luck to anyone else chasing their first deity win :D

So how is this game best set up? I picked Liz on inland sea with low sealevel,

If you're having trouble with the AI launching, slow them down by playing high seas (or at least medium). Or add extra opponents. They get less space, but so do you, so you may need to grab land faster. Don't forget, you're can steal cities with culture or at least get land that way. Try an early artist bomb to reserve space for settlers later. If your goal is the top finish of 1280 AD, then the AI will never launch by then and low seas is fine.

@superslug

So, any hope on Warlords' inclusion?

Interesting. In my 8th game, I missed Liberalism by only 5 turns. So I now I know it's possible, but I still don't see how you get enough cities and culture in time. By the time Asoka launched in 1665, I only had 10,000 culture in my best city.

Here is my 9th game. Mansa Musa somehow managed to go from not having Education one turn, to having Liberalism the next - so I missed Liberalism again. But this shot of my empire at the date of Mansa's launch shows that I got close this time.

G Major 14 8.JPG

So, with just one more food source in my GP farm, or a couple more cottageable tiles in Nottingham, I could have made it.

@superslug

So, any hope on Warlords' inclusion?
This one's showing considerable interest for a Deity gauntlet, so yes, I'll add Warlords....as soon as I can actually connect to the Hall of Fame. :(

Ok then - which is going to be easier? Vanilla or Warlords? The English unique building is pointless for this so will make no difference.

the greeks might gain a bonus since they essentially have 2 theatres...and the incans get a boost from their granary giving them culture as well.

Here is my 9th game. Mansa Musa somehow managed to go from not having Education one turn, to having Liberalism the next - so I missed Liberalism again. But this shot of my empire at the date of Mansa's launch shows that I got close this time.

View attachment 156824

So, with just one more food source in my GP farm, or a couple more cottageable tiles in Nottingham, I could have made it.

You can gain some advantage by not trading paper and education of course.

I had 2 testgames till now:

In the first I had the insane idea of raging barbs (rofl @myself) but I built my capital on a stone-plains-hill, which really rocked. Got owned by bars of course...

In my 2nd game I got dowed by Frederick. But as I learnt by now, I should have open borders with religion-foundings civs only. Do you upgrade your warriors? That could perhaps help too, but costs money.

This one's showing considerable interest for a Deity gauntlet, so yes, I'll add Warlords
:bowdown: :bowdown: :king:

I have finally succumbed and given MapFinder a test. It's a bit frustrating though. It never manages to get through more than about 20 maps before stopping.

I think Elizabeth is definitely the one for this gauntlet, surely. Unless you're planning a quechua rush first.

Top Bottom