• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Gaddafi is history! Tripoli is free!

NATO didn't inflict damage on Gaddafi on its own. While they resupplied the rebels, and their bombing campaign was undoubtedly crucial in eliminating ranged attackers and bases, a ton of the fighting was carried out in close quartered urban areas where bombing wasn't really an option. The rebels were also the ones to shut off Gaddafi's gas. Air campaigns can't win wars on their own.

Who tortures people in their house? That's...pretty weird.
'Weird' isn't an uncommon term to describe Gaddafi's rule, is it?

Three of Gaddafi's sons - Saif al-Islam, Saadi and Muhammaed - have been captured. [Confirmed!]

Sky News reports that all representatives from Gaddafi's regime have left Hotel Rixox.

They also report that rebels are now 1 km away from the city centre! :D

Abdullah Senussi, Gaddafi's brother-in-law and former Chief of Intelligence (with a brutal reputation), has reportedly been killed in fighting close to Rixox Hotel.
Rebels have taken over his home and found several prisoners there. One of whom had been tortured to death.
Wow, that gives a new meaning to "working at home".

I realize this, I have been opposed to the NATO response almost immediately after they started bombing Libya (even though I supported intervention), but you can always hope for the best for Libya and the Libyans.

I've supported it from the start. My problem with it was that it

a) came too late
b) wasn't decisive enough.

But meh, all's well that ends well, right? ;)

-----------------------------------------

I hope Gaddafi doesn't escape capture, I want to see him humiliated, that little bastard.

NATO didn't inflict damage on Gaddafi on its own. While they resupplied the rebels, and their bombing campaign was undoubtedly crucial in eliminating ranged attackers and bases, a ton of the fighting was carried out in close quartered urban areas where bombing wasn't really an option. The rebels were also the ones to shut off Gaddafi's gas. Air campaigns can't win wars on their own.

Indeed, but NATO was fundamental in weakening Gaddafi enough for the rebels to hammer through.

Let me be the first to bet:

-this is gonna peter out
-if it doesn't...Islamic Dictatorship!

I think a corrupt democratorship is more likely, and maybe a real democracy after one or two decades of development.

Twitter:

ShababLibya LibyanYouthMovement
Freedom Fighters taking full control of Tripoli as they establish checkpoints and the plan for it's stability is now being put in place
16 minutes ago

-this is gonna peter out

Yes, you will loose on the Islamic Dictatorship...
Hehehe I smell a little rightwing fright tactics working on ya...
Gaddhafi si back online :)

Another western backed dictatorship (ala Egypt)
I doubt it. They're more of the hate-anybody-who-sets-foot-on-their-soil type. They're going to go it alone, which goes along with this:

-this is gonna peter out
You have made a wise bet. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Gaddafi is seen on the beaches of Venezuela in the next few months.

Ahahahaha! :D

Sky News-correspondent Alex Crawford informs us that not many people in Tripoli speak English, but everyone seems to know one word:

FREEEEEEEEEEDOM!

Que Braveheart. :D

And Gaddafi is still broadcasting short outburst of rage and disbelief. :lol:

He's calling all tribes to come to Tripoli to defend it and purify it. If not they have no worth whatsoever. They'll all become slaves to the imperialists!

How much I want this to be true. Ghadaffi loves his people so much he won't be so cruel as to allow them to live after he's gone!

Well here's hoping Tripoli won't be a kind of Stalingrad. And of course hoping the religious zealots in the forces don't take advantage of the instability.

And Gaddafi is still broadcasting short outburst of rage and disbelief. :lol:

He's calling all tribes to come to Tripoli to defend it and purify it. If not they have no worth whatsoever. They'll all become slaves to the imperialists!

He reminds me of Hitler in the Untergang film. Totally insane, totally frustrated, totally out of touch with reality. Adolf also believed that his non-existent forces would come to relieve the capital and save him :lol:

Well here's hoping Tripoli won't be a kind of Stalingrad. And of course hoping the religious zealots in the forces don't take advantage of the instability.

It seems as though a significant portion of Tripoli has already been liberated

Sky News team has almost reached the Green Square in the centre of Tripoli. :)

He reminds me of Hitler in the Untergang film. Totally insane, totally frustrated, totally out of touch with reality. Adolf also believed that his non-existent forces would come to relieve the capital and save him :lol:
Haha. Did he just say that all the tribes have heeded his call, and are now on their way to defend Tripoli? :lol:

It seems as though a significant portion of Tripoli has already fallen
Or been liberated. ;)

Top Bottom