Game Crashes When Loading a Saved Multiplayer Game

Freude.gov

Chieftain
My friend and I have been playing civ3 complete steam online, but when we tried auto save and manual saving to load it, my game crashes without even seeing the map, but my friend can still continue as if I was still there. We have tried different people hosting the game with no difference. I have restarted the computer, uninstalled and reinstalled it, I have tried it with all firewalls off, I even tried asking it politely. I'm using windows 10 on windows 8 compatibility. Your input, even if unsuccessful is very much appreciated, as we are growing more and more tired of this recurring problem.

Have your friend get into the game and create a new save file. Load the new one instead. They might need to play a turn, which means you'd need to correct for the AI's mistakes, but it will probably let you actually play again.

Thank you for your suggestion, both me and my friend tried creating the new save in single player and doing a move or two, but when the save was brought to multiplayer it still crashed on my end. Any other ideas?

Thank you for your suggestion, both me and my friend tried creating the new save in single player and doing a move or two, but when the save was brought to multiplayer it still crashed on my end. Any other ideas?

Sorry, I meant making the save after they get in through the multiplayer screen.

Sorry, I meant making the save after they get in through the multiplayer screen.
I tried hosting it and he couldn't make any moves or saves, but when he hosted he continued and saved, when we tried that save my computer still crashed. Any other suggestions?

Double check to make sure DirectPlay is installed. It is not installed on Windows 10 by default.

To do this, go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program > Turn Windows Features On or Off. Click the + sign next to Legacy Components and make sure the check box next to DirectPlay is checked. Multiplayer saves will then load without any issues.

PS: Massive props to Cycu from GOG Support for figuring this out!

Top Bottom