Game of Thrones / ASOIAF Scenario for BTS

NVM, i fixed it :D

I'm going to play through it a little and make sure there are no other obvious issues, then I will post the mod. Like i said, its very rough. There are only minor changes to the mod that don't have too much affect on gameplay, but other changes will come as i continue to work on it.

I'll post a reply here when i post it.

And yea, im so excited for tonight! it starts at 9pm here. how about in paris?

The channel that's bought the rights for GOT decided to put it on the 2nd of april, but unfortunately it's a channel that nobody has (at least I don't know of anyone who has it). Therefore I have to watch it on the internet... I'd like to find an other solution, but there are none.

PS : good to hear you have something coming for us !

Hey! Just signed up here so i could make like an Thoros of Myr and raise this thread from the dead.

Couple thoughts.

If the Night's Watch/Land beyond the Wall are not included, i would do away with the North dealing with barbarians any differently than anyone else. the number of wildlings leaking into the north is so small that it isn't worth worrying about.

Could dragons be a unit that needs a ton of promotions to become powerful? They would still need to be very rare/expensive.

TheBeast's last activity is 9th of may, so we can safely say that he is, at least, taking a break from civfanatics. At worst we'll never hear from him again (but I hope he'll come back eventually).

Welcome to the forum, lobster !

IIRC TheBeast had planned (it was a long term plan ;) ) to add the night's watch at one point, as a unique civ with a unique gameplay and a unique victory condition (but I don't know what exactly he had in mind at the end, the brainstorming period was not over), so the North would have to be redone. You're right, the current form of the "wildling invasion" isn't great, nor is the WW invasion.

About dragons, well...
Spoiler :
Dany's nowhere near Westeros by the end of book 5, and so are her dragons, so how would you include dragons at all in this mod ?

Uh, I seriously think this mod should be redone entirely. Part of a fun mod is to have as much replay value as possible, so I think the entire world should be included. You can make it interesting to play as the Dothraki or Wildlings and still stick to the core story. I'd be interested in helping (I make LHs, Units and have modding experience), but at the moment my computer capabilities suck until I get my old pc back. But I can help out, and I would be very interested. If you want I could start putting LHs together.

Can someone take over the building of this mod? If I had the skill I would do it myself.

Come on peeps, we all love Game of Thrones, such a shame there isn't a completed mod :(

Even though I have almost no programming knowledge and only limited interest in such a mod (much more hyped by the coming Westeros mod for M2TW and by the great Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2, as IMO they represent the world of aSoIaF much better) I'd be willing to rework TheBeast's map and work on the starting situation of the different factions.

But I'm not doing anything on my own, I'd only accept to be part of a team as map/balance guy.

If I had a better PC I would be playing those mods instead :D

I'm going to have a good look at the mod, make a huge list of stuff that would be good to change and get back to you at a future date.

From what i've seen the map looks alright. However the resources need sorting out and The Wall needs to better better represented.
Remove resources such as Aluminium, Uranium. Replace them with Dragonstone etc. (That would require new art work)

A few changes to the units - remove all aircraft, tanks, etc. Rename units to fit in with the story. No need to change AI or anything like that as from what I know its a bastard of a job.
(Again new art work needed)

So yeah, quite a job. I think i'm going to use this mod as an opportunity to learn how to do all these things. Right now I can't even find the relevant files :deadhorse:

I know that the map is alright, I only know it's perfectible in many ways. It's great that you seem intent on working on the mod ! If you want me to start redoing the map we should start PMing.

It would be great if you keep on working on this mod. Sorry i can't help but i love this scenario.
Greetings Dengg

a dragon skin for a helicopter would represent a dragon's flying ability quite well.
perhaps should also start with collateral damage 50% to better reflect a firebreath ability.

Hello everyone,

Now that my exams are over I'm considering taking over the project. I don't know anything about modding, XML or anything like that, and my programming skills are limited (only some caml and a little bit of java, not even C or C++). That was the reason why I couldn't help TheBeast with more than advices when he made the scenario and the mod. But I think that by learning some of the basics and by borrowing a lot from other mods (copy pasting the concepts and changing the specifics, of course crediting them for their work) I can go a long way.

I think there are two main problems for an ASOIAF mod for CIV : first, doing a mod this big is a tough job, and there are not many people who can do it by themselves (more credit to them). TheBeast was mostly by himself, and I tried to give him my impression on his work but in the end I think it was too big a project for him ; he hasn't logged in since January 2013. Comrade Yeshi tried to take over the Scenario/Mod last fall, but in a similar way he hasn't been on the forum since last January.
That's why I don't think I can do this without help from other members of the community ; if they can help with the modding we can share the workload which would be great, if not they can at least give their opinion so I can have someone to discuss my ideas with.

The second problem is about technology. The game of Civilization is based on civs acquiring new technologies in order to defeat their rivals. The core of the game is cities, units and research. But in the time of the war of the 5 kings (which is, IMO, a good choice for a scenario/Mod) there is no technological advance, no superior unit that you could unlock. Actually things are far worse at the end of ADWD than they were at the beginning of AGOT because armies have been decimated (most armies are now composed of green boys and old men, as is seen in the northern war's description) so arguably units should be worse, not better than the ones available at the start of the war, and because winter is coming (and because of the wars) the land should be less, not more fertile than when Ned rode south. The realms are less stable as well, so I don't consider that unlocking civics with technology would make any sense.

If anyone has any idea about how to incorporate research into an ASOIAF mod, in any way, to represent anything related or unrelated to technological advance, please give me your idea. That is where TheBeast stopped working on the mod, and my intuition tells me that this issue is part of what made him quit.

I'm posting this on both the mod and the scenario's page. I intend to redo the map as soon as I have time, because whatever happens I really look forward to making it even better than TheBeast's current (inherently very good) map. Then I'll modify the scenario (with the new map), and then finally if some good Samaritan answers my call I will start the mod development.

i don't log in that frequently, but i visit these forums a few times a year. i came here this time in search of a westeros map and stumbled across this thread. i haven't tried playing the scenario or the mod (i generally play regular ol' bts on noble with the buffy mod and that's it), but i think i can offer a suggestion on the stated hang-up with this mod project. keep in mind, i'm just spit-balling a bit here.

i think the big thing that this mod gets stuck on is that so many, including the modmakers themselves, get hung up on what happens in the books verses what doesn't happen in the books. if someone wanted to play 'a game of ice and fire' then there are platforms that would serve such an approach much more sufficiently. the awesomeness of the civ iv engine is that you can rewrite the history of the saga within the world itself with every game.

with that in mind, my approach would be this: create each faction as the 5 kingdoms or the like. create the remaining houses and bannerman as neutral cities, regardless of the relations as stated in the books or local geography. instead of researching techs, you would use the same mechanic to amass influence. factions would pursue "techs" that directly afforded various bonuses plausibly afforded through those alliances - movement allowance (marry a son to a frey daughter and gain passage across the trident), safe passage rights (aid slavers/smugglers and don’t get ambushed traversing the narrow sea), resource sharing (this could actually be the primary mechanic for obtaining resources. who says houses can’t be trade partners with warring factions?), unit conscription (call of the bannerman), ability to see enemy factions’ movement (you’ve got wargs!), production, etc, etc, so on, and so forth.

“techs” on the tree could be universally accessible, or there could be a few that are unique to each faction. maybe there would just be a faction-specific branch. or maybe “techs” can be assigned a type and/or region and then factions can be given bonus beakers-per-turn to a type/region that makes it easier for that bonus to be attained.

i have a few different ideas on how it could function, but i’ll refrain from going too far down that rabbit-hole as i don’t even know if what i propose makes any sense or is feasible. i have limited programming knowledge (similar to what adrienier has, maybe slightly more), so if i got into a project like this it would be under the understanding that there would be a significant learning curve on my end. but i’d be willing to put in the time, if for no other reason than for the experience and something to focus on. i do have plenty of time, after all.

at the very least, i’m up for continuing the discussion. i’m for sure going to check out the mod for myself now. :)

oh, i should add that i have not read asoiaf. i am about halfway through agot, but it takes me a long time to read fiction books for some reason. i am an avid viewer of the show, however, and i spend an inordinate amount of time on asoiaf wiki, so i can usually hold fairly advanced conversations about the show, and can hold my own in intermediate discussions about the plot lines as depicted in the books.

Thanks kswitch, the main discussion will be on the mod page here even though I intend to make a BTS scenario as well. We've gone a long way since my initial post :)

Its a bit late but i try to make a descent or atleast accurate map of ASOIAF, features are:
- Map starts during the beginning of war of the 5 kings
- Only Major cities of Westeros, namely: KL, OT, LP, GT and WH have access to excess food resource.. enabling them to naturally grew larger than other settlements.
- Wonders are disabled, only KL and OT have wonders to represent their importance according to the book..
- Several resources are only specialized in some region
- Tech is limited to Medieval era
- No Settlers
- edited AI behavior, favored religion and civic.. for the sake of accuracy
- To Add: Daenerys or Aegon Targaryen

I'll take a look on friday, it sounds pretty good. Did you base it on TheBeast's original map or did you start from scratch ?

I'll take a look on friday, it sounds pretty good. Did you base it on TheBeast's original map or did you start from scratch ?

Well it is based on a map, but i found it rather plain and boring with the lack of accuracy from the book. I think we without having a proper mod we could atleast try to make elements from the book bit more alive, from the exoticness of Dorne, the unhealthy condition of overpopulated King's Landing, the Others invading from the North or the lushness of the Reach.. i will try to revamp the map and add Targaryen faction, but i think its wiser to start from the winds of winter for Aegon's Landing with Dorne as their allies.. the North will be lead by the Manderlys with Stannis besieging Winterfell etc if it sounds good..

I have updated the map again... its not perfect and i have problems with the Ironborn converting to Hinduism from Buddhism despite the modification i have done with their leader.

Sorry i forgot to add the map...

Attachments

• A Song of Ice and Fire.rar
    183.5 KB · Views: 188
When I get home tomorrow I'll compare your map to the one I started last year. I mostly did the south and the north IIRC.

Top Bottom