1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Saturn

Discussion in 'Team Saturn' started by Elucidus, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Joshua368

Joshua368 Warmongering builder

Oh, and Elkad, since I won't be able to log back in and look around for several days, would be mind telling me what you did exactly when you declared war? Just the stuff I would notice from my ships and the combat log. I'm a bit curious... :ar15::run:

2. Elucidus

Elucidus King

Crap, I logged in to advise giger and didn't realize there was a turn order, I didn't move anything.

3. plako

plako Emperor

Lord Parkin should be back 9th of July.

4. Joshua368

Alright, go ahead and pause the game for us Plako. I would, but I can't because of smelly Elkad. :p

So now we wait for four days. These seems like a good time for some good ol' fashioned WAR PROPAGANDA :cheers:

5. Elkad

Elkad Emperor

Joshua. I crushed some poor caravel of yours near my (formerly clams) islands. Mainly to get the xp (in my culture, so 2 for a plane, 2 for a ship). And I may have sank a destroyer of yours to my east (your west), not sure.

6. plako

plako Emperor

Game has been paused with 6h in the timer.

7. Joshua368

Wah, what's corossol doing now. What sort of madness is this? :crazyeye:

I guess Giger must've brought him in as a sub for the weekend but forget to tell him the game got paused? I guess? I have no easy way of contacting him...

Edit: Sent him a PM on the Parkinworld forum, hope he checks that regularly.

8. Giger

Giger Warlord

I indeed asked corossol to sub for a turn for me. What did he do wrong ? I can always reload the game.

9. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Thanks for waiting for me guys... I'd hate to miss the most interesting part of the game. (Plus I'd want to be the one to blame for any blunders, not anyone else. ;) )

10. Giger

Giger Warlord

Johua made me realized that I played out of turn. I played after Elkad attacked me. And I attacked his units. Sorry about this. I had just come back from vacation having been subbed and hadn't realized the turn order.

11. plako

plako Emperor

This should be easy to fix. Load just the game from auto save you made when logging in.

12. Giger

Giger Warlord

I reloaded the game. Sorry for my mistake.

13. Toch

Toch Prince

Iam back with my connection..

14. Joshua368

That's good to know. Parkin should be back soon. Though we may need to wait for Plako to return as well... definitely can't have him away at the moment.

Sort of resurrecting something from earlier, but there's something important I feel I need to address before the game starts back up and crap gets real. When I made the double move right before declaring on Plako, I didn't mean to break any general pitboss rules. It was never mentioned when setting up the game or laying down the rules.

The double move fortunately didn't really effect that particular case, Plako conveniently parked his ships just in range of where the transports were preparing. (7 tiles away, with navigation/refrigeration transports) But in other possible war opening gambits, it could have. (At one point Plako had a loooooot of ships parked in his shrine :p )

As far as "common sense" goes, it seemed like a logical tactic for either side to use to me. I didn't recall it having been explicitly banned in the rules of the other pitboss games I had played and used for reference, those being the MTDG and Daniapetu. And I had two different allies tell me separately that not only was it okay, but that it happens in pitboss games all the time! So I was pretty surprised to see that after using it that not only was it frowned upon, but it was grounds for a reload.

So basically, please help make sure that doesn't happen again. Not all of us have the experience of Parkin or the ability to pull up rulebooks from unrelated games like Elkad. :p Just please double check the Saturn rules here and see if there's any commonly-known rules I missed that may be an issue later. Speak now or forever hold your peace. :yup:

15. Elkad

Elkad Emperor

It happens in multiplayer all the time for sure. As far as pitboss games, its been frowned upon, if not outright banned, in every game I've played that has a double-move rule. Some other questionable issues (double-moving settlers to a competing spot early in the game) get decided either way, but sportsmanlike play is to give the other guy a chance.

The alternative is alarm-clock civ, people not ending their turns (so the timer ends at a predictable time), getting up at 4am to sabotage that oil well 5 seconds before the turn flips (ruining all your enemies builds for the turn), abusing things like vassal states to teleport enemy units out of your territory and a host of other things. Rule manipulation becomes the way to win, not solid play.

As to the rules. Looked at them again. Realized I'd missed one myself that my team discussed violating unknowingly. No voluntary vassalization of friends. SDI protects vassals. If we'd gone nuclear, we'd planned to get one SDI up quickly and vassalize up to allow it to protect everyone. Since we passed No Nukes, it's irrelevant now. (Vassal states have other friendly applications, like resolving unintentional culture wars, but the potential abuses are worse than the good parts. It's becoming banned more and more often in pitboss games I'm in.)

So the only rules I see that someone might unintentionally violate are the vassal rule, and the one about gifting cities to neutrals. If you do intend to gift a city, probably best to make sure your war declarations match up with the player you are trading with to avoid bumping units.

16. Elucidus

Elucidus King

It was used in Duniapetu 1, 2, and every PTBS game I have played in. In these games it was not considered a double move that i am aware of.

17. plako

plako Emperor

I've ended my turn and paused again. Now there are only Dux, Lord Parkin and Toch who haven't ended their turns, but I suspect that Dux and Toch have made their moves.

Toch requested me to play also on his behalf until sunday. I hope this is alright to you. He'll sub me after that for 4-5 days (there is small chance I can play at some point).

18. Joshua368

Well the game is still on pause until Parkin gets back anyway. Which is... today? Well whenever he pops back up.

No problem with you guys subbing amoungst yourselves. I'm still doing it with Clamburger until whenever the heck he gets back. :p (I think it's this weekend)

Edit: In the rulebook, added the "alarm clock" rule and expanded on city trading. Everything good now? Parkin should probably look over it...

19. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

I'm back, just a little busy at the moment. Will be about another 12 hours or so before I can get back to this game.

20. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Sorry, been very busy all day and don't have the time for the hour or two I'll need to look over the game right now. Will try tomorrow.