1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gandhi--Peaceful or Warmonger?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Succession Games' started by Chimera1804, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

Okay, so the question is now do we stack our Arabian border and possibly make a preemptive strike? Having the first move in a war is oh so critical...it's why I rarely will say "Yes I'm coming for you" when asked by the AI whether or not I'm declaring.

And Got it

2. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Nice set Panth.

I'm not really sure about a pre emptive strike in principal its a good idea but I'm not convinced Arabia is on the cusp of a DoW. Are his troops there as they are going home?

If we are looking at war here then upgrade all the units that can be upgraded (maybe not the frigates yet) and send the GMerch off on his trtade mission to help with this. If we a looking at war then a detour to Mech Infantry might be in order very soon.

Get Pata producing Infantry IMO.

The empire look in good shape. Just need to build some Theatres to keep on the right side of happiness.

On the SP front are we going to go down the left side of Rationalism?

How many more SPs will we get before the end of the game? 4?

3. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

sorry about the delay. Father's Day, holiday weekend, etc. Will play set today.

4. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

...curse of the mods strikes again. I'm having issues with info addict.

5. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

Hopefully I can get this set played sometime tomorrow. Sorry guys.

Note for future SGs: Good as they are, mods can really screw a SG.

6. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

Playing set now. :D

7. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

Part one. I've...not got much time to play. But time to type (evidently). Part two will come this evening. In total I'll have about 10-12 turns played or so.

And I've been inspired to do this in narrative...idk why.

Spoiler :
    "Our orders are simple enough. 'Re-deploy troops along Arabian front.' Obviously the high brass suspects an attack from that direction."

"'Suspects'? It couldn't be any more obvious. Arabian troops are crawling all over our territory. Walk through any military camp within twenty miles from here and you'll see far more of them than our own military! If I were in charge we'd declare war on them as soon as we were in position. Once we pull in the troops from Sidonian territory we'll be primed for an attack. Our boys are ready for this. They're getting tired of sitting around on their rear ends. As am I."

"Trust me, Commander Daulah, I understand what you are saying. Considering our past military campaigns the governments hesitation surprises me as much as you. But we cannot go against our orders; that leads to chaos. If we--"

The commander leaned in and lowered his voice. "Give me two infantry divisions, an artillery, and a week and I will bring you the keys to the Arabian capital. Then we can return to Delhi victorious heros."

"And if you fail?"

"That word is not in my vocabulary, General Singh."

The general sighed. "I appreciate your enthusiasm. However, our scouts report that the Arabian army infesting our borderlands is not an offensive maneuver. They are at war with Russia. There is--"

"We defeated Russia."

"There is still a small outpost to our south. There is some sort of blood-feud going on between the two nations and al-Rashid supposedly seeks to remove all traces of Russian civilization."

A soldier burst into the tent, breathless. "News from Delhi, sir! The English have declared war!"

Spoiler :

"You see, Commander Daulah?" Singh asked, gravely. "Our most direct threat does not come from the Arabian prince." He turned to the soldier. "Order a mobilization of the troops. We must defend our western coast. I want artilleries in every coastal city. And where is our naval officer, Tope?"

"But General, we cannot leave our Arabian border exposed. Who knows what they might try if we give them they opportunity?"

"You're right, we--"

Another soldier ran up. "General Singh, sir! I bear news from Moscow. The Russians have joined with the English in a war against us. Enemy troops are crossing the water into Moscow Harbour."

An oath was heard in the tent. "All troops must be on high alert and ready to move at a moments notice. Notify Delhi; they will give training orders to barracks and training grounds around the nation. Now, call in all officers. We must react quickly and wisely."

Later:

After the officers had departed to their respective divisions and troops, Tope stayed with Daulah and Singh.

"We have several vessels near English waters. However, the English are well know for their sea-faring prowess, and our ships are outdated and antiquated."

"They will have to do. I want your best ships to patrol our western shore, ready to open fire on any English vessel within range. Also, we must update our weaponry as soon as possible."

"And the rest of our boats?"

"Keep them scouting around the English ports. Order them to avoid conflict with the English armada but to engage any transports." Singh turned to a soldier standing at the entrance to the tent. "You. Dispatch a message to Delhi. Tell them that we need resources to go towards our navy. If they can't land on our shores they can't take our land."

"General Singh, sir, if I may?" asked Daulah.

"Yes?"

"Is that really wise? We have a strong artillery. Would it not be better to hide our military strength until they are within range of our battery?"

"Yes but there is too much risk. All harbour towns will be fortified with artillery with orders to destroy any English vessels, especially transports. Their army is defenseless in the water. We must exploit that."

Later:

"English transport to starboard, cap'n!"

"You know our orders. Open fire!"

Spoiler :

and...

"Lhasan scouts report enemy activity in the vicinity, sir."

"We have our instructions. You know what to do."

Spoiler :

also...

"English warship straight ahead, cap'n!"

"We cannot draw within range yet. Hard a'port! We will wait for them to approach and then take the first shot."

Spoiler :

and...

"Ship o' the Line to starboard, sir!"

"Hoist the sails! We cannot hope to take her. We must avoid engagement at all cost!"

Spoiler :

[/narrative]

Turn 1: Pata CM -> Infantry
    Turn 2: Mumbai Windmill -> Destroyer
    Turn 3: SP Free Speech
    Turn 4: Vijay Public School -> Factory
    Turn 6: Pata Infantry -> Theatre.

Turns 7-12 coming later this evening. Probably not in narrative. But I had fun with this. :)

8. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

Com'on man! finish the story Chime!

9. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

yeah...sorry about that. :( Scholarship applications, driving lessons/test, and school all through summer. Fun. And time consuming.

If I don't get to it tonight I'll just put up the save and pass it on.

10. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

Okay. Next.

Sorry...things happened today. So. I've held this up long enough.

Roster:

Chimera--Just Played
    Grandad--Up Now
    Cripp--On Deck
    Sparthage
    Panth

Also, please update InfoAddict to v15!

Attached Files:

11. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

Looks good so far, just secure our border towns with arties and some destroyers. Upgrade our units guarding Arabia

12. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

I just saw the patch notes (yes...late...I know) and...um...I have a nasty feeling this is going to kill our game. Much like Russia.

Thoughts anyone?

EDIT: without my realizing it the patch has actually already downloaded itself onto my copy of Civ....

13. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Got it. I was away for the weekend so sorry for the late pick up.

I haven't patched yet as I haven't loaded civ since I got back. The patch makes some pretty radical changes. Again. I wish they would stop releasing such game changing patchs every few months.

I'll look at the save and see if I can get my head round the how the patch has changed the game.

14. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

For starters they've majorly slashed happiness. We're gaining 2 unhappiness per city (as gandhi remember), losing one per luxury and about one per happiness improvement.:wow:

15. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

Might be a bug in this update that they're not aware of.

16. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

no, that's in the patch notes...

17. Optional

Optional Deity

Kibitzer: Impact could be big. I had just started a game just before the patch, when I came back to it after the patch, at first sight it didn't look too different, but when started I to play all kinds of things were off.
    My citizens all of a sudden became happy again after I hooked up my third Ivory, it turned out the game thought it was Marble... I saw Iron on the map way before Iron Working... AI workers mining Iron well outside their territorial borders... Bad mixups, it looks like there's a real compatability problem with before and after the patch. New coding to accommodate the new resource will probably be responsible for the resource mixups I saw.
    I don't want to put a downer on things, maybe you're lucky and it's not so bad for your game, I'm hoping that, but be prepared. If you see weird things, it's the patch. You so didn't want this patch in the middle of an SG.

18. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Sadly I can't open the save.

Since I updated civ5 I can no longer see any mods online and thus I can't update info addict to v15.

I was hoping it was a one off glitch but every time I quite and restart its the same story.

19. Chimera1804

Chimera1804 King

Ugh. poor poor SGs...

20. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Indeed.

I'm thinking of having a go a reinstalling civ5 and seeing if that makes a difference to the mod situation.

One thing we can take away from this experience is that, as nice a mods are, if they affect saves they shouldn't be used. Also due to the constant patching of the game at the moment faster games should be played or we end up getting screwed by the major changes that keep occurring.

I'm still not willing to give up on SGs but I feel like its a massive uphill struggle ATM. I know that there are people out there who come and lurk these threads so there must still be an appetite for SGs.....?

So the question is if I can get the mod browser to work should we see about carrying on, or are the patch changes to major? If we don't carry on then do we try to roll a new game and if so how do we set it up? DLC? Mods? Turning off auto update? They don't make it easy for you do they :(