[GS] Gathering a financial storm?

What is your impression about the price tag for Gathering Storm? (40 US$)

• Too much

• About right...

• Take my money!

Results are only viewable after voting.
At the end of the day I'm probably, what, 60+20+30(R&F)+40(GS) = ~150 bucks in for all the content over 3 years, plus however many years until civ7?
And I'll almost definitely get over 1000 hours out of this game by then. At this point I'd be okay just paying firaxis an annual subscription top keep the content coming :crazyeye:

Stop they'll do it.

for $40 US I think you are getting your money's worth

I forgot to mention that it's better to do it this way rather than introduce things like micro transactions in the game which wouldn't work and be out of place. So given the alternative, I'll pay the higher price.

I don't want the game industry to catch on, but I honestly think that games haven't kept pace with inflation. Heck, AAA titles have only gone up once in my memory, from $50 when I was a kid to $60 now. I'll gladly pay $40 for the features I've seen and read about today.

I don't want the game industry to catch on,

The rest of the industry has moved to micro transactions to make up the cost. But hey, you can buy a virtual baseball cap in Fallout 76 for $5. :p I'll pass thank you. But those kinds of things wouldn't make sense for this game, and they said they wouldn't go that way for this game, and I'm happy about that.

I fully intend to buy the expansion (at present I'm more hyped than I was for R&F) but I might wait to see if I can get it cheaper closer to release.

Ed Beach loves making Civilization games, and despite my complaints about AI and other persisting issues, I love playing them. I'll happily pay an extra $10 for a feature-rich expansion if I feel it is the product of a labor of love.

Seeing how big the expansion is, it's a fair price.

However, I might hold off pre-ordering it, until I gain assurance that the new expansion will fit my laptop's specs graphics and performance wise. I have a feeling the dynamic weather would take up a lot of performance.

Seems fair to me. I figure if they put out a cool Civ I'd throw 'em $5, so the 8 coming is already the price of the expansion, then there's a lot of new stuff on top of it.

I just watched the stream offline, and at the end, they blatantly ignored the massive flood of AI questions they got after asking "is there something else you want to ask?"... that right there is my main hesitation. As I said, this has nothing to do with affordability (at least for me), but with completing a key part of the game before or at least at the same time as filling it with new, complex mechanics that the AI might well be blind to for lack of better development... and asking full game price for it.

I just watched the stream offline, and at the end, they blatantly ignored the massive flood of AI questions they got after asking "is there something else you want to ask?"... that right there is my main hesitation. As I said, this has nothing to do with affordability (at least for me), but with completing a key part of the game before or at least at the same time as filling it with new, complex mechanics that the AI might well be blind to for lack of better development... and asking full game price for it.
You should expect a comparable level of AI in this xpac as there is in the game right now. Since AI is not a major focal point there is no reason to expect that it will see a significant change (in either direction). They are likely "ignoring" it simply because there is nothing to say. It may not be the response you want to see, but the simple fact of the matter is that the majority of players do not have a major issue with the AI in the game. Unless that were to change there really is not a good reason for them to dedicate significant resources into changing that. Most players want new civs and new mechanics, so that is what they focus on.

If you haven't done so, you might want to take a close read of the marketing pitch for the Switch release. It's a fair description of what the game offers and who it appeals to. I found it quite enlightening, and reading it helped me make peace with the reality that Civ 6 is not intended for me.

There's nothing about the game being a challenge to win - in fact, it's specifically pitched as "win your own way". Also nothing about the AI leaders being interesting to play against, just interesting to play as.

Firaxis has made a decision about the type of gamers they're pitching Civ 6 to, and there's no reason to expect they're going to change tack now.

If Canada actually is in the game and is depicted in an interesting way (no hockey rinks), I'll probably pick GS up some day when it's on sale. If not, I'll monitor reports when the expansion is out, in case I'm wrong.

asking full game price for it.
AAA games haven't been $40 in my lifetime--and they haven't been $50 for a good decade at least...

I'd call $40 for an expansion this overflowing with content that will generate hundreds or thousands of hours of play a bargain.

You should expect a comparable level of AI in this xpac as there is in the game right now. Since AI is not a major focal point there is no reason to expect that it will see a significant change (in either direction). They are likely "ignoring" it simply because there is nothing to say. It may not be the response you want to see, but the simple fact of the matter is that the majority of players do not have a major issue with the AI in the game. Unless that were to change there really is not a good reason for them to dedicate significant resources into changing that. Most players want new civs and new mechanics, so that is what they focus on.

Lets see what happens.

This is looking like a fairly drastic overhaul of the game. It may be the AI is - or will be via patches - getting some love. Honestly, they've added a production queue - it really looks like this expansion is directed at giving people what they want, and the AI is squarely part of that.

In any event, even if the AI hasn't received any more work, the AI at higher levels might really benefit from the new disaster mechanic - both you and the AI can get wrecked by natural disasters, but the AI might well bounce back faster with its bonuses.

Only reason I haven't bought it yet is there's plenty of time. 40 bucks is standard for a box expansion. 30 for R&F was nice but this one seems huge so I didn't bat an eye at the difference.

As others have pointed out this is one of the few AAA franchises today where you still buy once and are done. No continuous cost but also no continuous new content (the notable exception being DLC pre-R&F but even those register like mini-boxes to me, they're not cosmetic and new civs are the biggest attraction to me in any new content).

Top Bottom