1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Negan

Negan Chieftain

My apologies, I meant all the different type of skins for generic units.

2. Metecury

Metecury Chieftain

We have not seen all of them yet for each cultural group. On the bright side though, we can see they added different looks for generic units past the renaissance, the Ottoman bombard is accompanied by non standard musket men.

3. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

upload_2019-1-25_8-48-6.png

I couldn't find it, and Arioch's site didn't have the updated info.

Kjimmet likes this.
  4. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Thanks, I hadn't seen it.

I think that's now all of the updated governors.

Elhoim and Victoria like this.
  5. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Chieftain

Btw. Liang the Surveyor is missing some parts of her bonuses:
    • Aquaculture: The Fishery unique improvement can be built in the city on coastal plots. Yields 1 Food, +1 Food if adjacent to a sea resource. Fisheries provide +1 Production if Liang is in the city.
    • Parks and Recreation: The City Park unique improvement can be built in the city. Yields 2 Appeal and 1 Culture. +1 Amenity if adjacent to (lake or ocean). City Parks give +3 Culture if Liang is in the city.
    Also Refining is a new tech in the modern era.

6. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

Someone mentioned it in the livestream thread, so I thought I'd add it here:
    Democracy and Communism are changed
    T3Govs.jpg

Elhoim, Kimiimaro, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  7. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Does that mean the Democratic Legacy card will give another +4/+4 to trade routes? Could be very profitable to have alliances late in the game, then.

Elhoim likes this.
  8. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

Maybe an attempt to stop people from venue-hopping governors?

9. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

Seems like it. They've removed all governor promotions that give +20% production to X district buildings.

10. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

A new wait for the late game warmongering strategy? That +50% with facism could make quite a few GDR's, fairly quickly I'd bet.

11. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

That's kinda cool. Nice buff for Facism if that's the only way you can get a production boost for GDRs!

I just said elsewhere I didn't like the change to Democracy- but on reflection, I do. Nice change. Democracy is the Allie Gov.

Communism is a bit boring though.

12. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

LOL Hilarious that Fascism still reduces war weariness. The real fascist countries were hit horribly by war weariness, especially in Europe.

They were also horribly inefficient at military production, too, compared to their democratic and communist opponents. So that bonus is also a combination of game play effect / imagined history.

The +5 strength per unit I agree with. Only 50% of the normal penalty for being damaged would also make sense. And maybe a loyalty bonus to cities from nearby friendly military units.

re Democracy, would have been nice to see a bonus to Population based culture.

13. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

As someone who enjoys developing large cities, this change to Democracy is rather disappointing. Is it safe to assume this means the Arsenal of Democracy diplomatic policy card is being ditched or reworked?

Zaarin likes this.
  14. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Likewise. Maybe they wanted to make Neighborhoods relevant again? The last Democracy update kind of made them completely pointless...

15. Metecury

Metecury Chieftain

Not quite, Germans did not feel the strains of war, rationing and general effect of the conflict on everyday life until the final years. Bombings aside. The leadership at the time was very mindful of the need to keep civilian morale up and wanted to avoid what happened in 1918 and 1919.

16. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Chieftain

I think the bonuses make sense. +50% military unit production just means that all resources are put to military and all else is secondary. Communism and Democracy get production bonuses, but they can be used to other things as well. Fascism doesnt get bonuses to any other type of production so its balanced.

Axis powers couldnt change the fact that they had less population and resources. They pretty much faced impossible task.

17. Trav'ling Canuck

I think the fascist countries suffered as much if not more war weariness than their opponents. I question that fascist governments were better able to shelter their populations from the stress of war any better than the democracies or communist governments.

However, I understand the game play purpose behind it, to enable continued warfare for players who don't want their conquering slowed down by war weariness.

My understanding is that on an efficiency ratio, German industry did not keep up with the gains by their democratic opponents or even Russia. And Italy and Japan never got close. So it wasn't just their smaller populations. Their military and general production per pop lagged their opponents. However, on a solider by soldier basis or tank by tank or plane by plane, the German forces were generally more efficient. That efficiency in the field masked the terrible inefficiency in the factories.

As a game mechanism, though, I agree with your point about the trade off between fascism-democracy-communism.

18. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Chieftain

since the war was won by the democratic forces , civilization should follow suit and have an OP democratic government and no other government even viable?
    they need to balance it to give some kind of choice and they are trying at least. With some many victory types a few should be selecting another government type?

19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

How much of that was due to lack of raw materials, or just having their factories bombed constantly? Other countries, even England didn't have to deal with that much bombing. I admit I don't know too much about the civilian side of Germany during the war. So I am curious what the problem was with their industry if not the above mentioned things.

20. Trav'ling Canuck

Yes, I agree. There are game play needs that also need to be considered. Given the multiple victory conditions, however, having one Tier 3 government be the "conquest one" isn't necessarily the best way to do that. I'd also personally prefer if the game play bonuses better reflected the strengths of that type of government (and given the evil committed in the name of fascism, I understand that's tough to do).

I do think a military bonus related to the strength of your units works well, better than a production bonus. I also think a tie in to the Loyalty system makes sense, better than war weariness. Maybe there should be a cultural bonus, too, to reflect their efforts to promote the superiority of their civ? Or, given the pending GS rules, a bonus to "scored competitions". On more sensitive grounds, a penalty to the spread of other religions in your territory? Something so that one of your three choices isn't exclusively focussed on conquest, even if it does help in that pursuit.

One problem is they banned unions and strikes. That pushed regular German workers out of the factories. To replace them, they conscripted forced labour from occupied territories. That didn't make for the most motivated work force.

The focus on getting your best management talent into the armed forces may also have played a part. Service in the forces was promoted as a higher form of service in all the warring nations, but that was especially pronounced under fascism and no doubt contributed to a brain drain out of industry.

To compound that, the European fascists also actively pushed out of their economy very experienced and talented commercial families for religious reasons.