1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gedemon's Civilization, development thread

Discussion in 'Gedemon's Civilization, a total overhaul project' started by Gedemon, May 7, 2017.

1. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Update:
    Code:
    - balance: lower Materiel production ratio from Clay
    - balance: raise Grain production for Watermill and Windmill, remove Grain production from all markets
    - balance: raise (blank) Tablets, Scrolls and Books storage in Scribe House and Library
    - add Scrolls, Books production to Library
    - add Administrative Tablets, Scrolls and Books produced/stocked by Ancestor's Hall, Forum, Senate and Parliament (books only for the latter)
    - add more Food yield change to Farm (+2 with Calendar, +4 with Fertilizer, +8 with Industrialization), lower base Food yield to 2 (from 3)
    - add +2 Food for Farm adjacent to Rivers with Irrigation
    - update rowID in the Adjacency_YieldChange table for the UI
    - update and remove some Technologies description to reflect the mod's changes
    - add "Worked Improvement" Event to the list of possible research contributions
    - add working Farms/Plantations to Calendar research contributions
    - add Stone in stock to Mining research contributions
    - add Masonry Resources Class (Gypsum, Marble, Stone) and related events (Worked, In  Stock) to Masonry research contributions
    - add "Exploration" Research Field to Sailing (max 50%)
    - override TechCivicCompletedPopup.xml file to fix half-screen alpha layer on Techs completed.
    - crash fix : add a maximum limit to the number of resources displayed on the City Banner's tooltips
    - add an "Empire Administrative Cost" entry to the Top Panel UI, that will be supported by the Administrative Tablets/Scrolls/Books production and stock (lower than required will lower stability when implemented)
    edit: please note that updates adding new resources like this one break current stocks in savegame.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

I'm pondering the Administrative Support mechanism, here is a possible draft:
    • There would be 2 types of Administrative resources:
      • Tablets/Scrolls/Books Records (as in new administrative records this turn)
      • Tablets/Scrolls/Books Archive (as in previous turns records now archived)
    • The Empire Administrative Cost would be supported by both the number of Archive resources and New Records
      • Lower than required Empire Administrative Support would add instability
      • Empire Cost is based on
        • Total Empire population (Rural and Urban)
        • Number of cities (maybe with a higher cost for far away cities)
        • Territory size (number of tiles owned by the Empire)
        • Technological advancement (base cost is multiplied by a variable based on the number of known techs)
    • The individual Cities Administrative Cost would be supported only by New Records
      • Lower than required City Administrative Support would affect number of traded resources, number of produced resources, and local stability
      • City Cost is based on
        • Total City Population (Rural and Urban)
        • City Territory (number of tiles owned by the City)
        • Previous turn resources Trade/Production

3. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Small development report:

Still pondering where to put the change related to resources trade route.

I'll add a new tooltip to the city banner (also pondering to move back up in the banner itself some of the tooltips like population/housing and only keep the ones related to resources below) for trade routes, in which I'll put the number (current/max) of trade routes in/out as well as the other properties (max tonnage, efficiency) and list the linked cities.

But for resources properties, I'm not sure, as the DecayRate and UnitsPerTonnage properties are used by only a few resources, and I'm short on columns space.

Another thing I'm pondering is the unit's supply line pathfinding. At this moment it's quite simple, and link the unit to the nearest city only using a land path without checking the movement cost between tiles.

I want to change it to use movement cost (that one should be relatively easy) but then I would also need to check more than one city for route efficiency, because the nearest city is not always the most efficient.

And that's a problem, checking all possible routes between units/cities each turn will be heavy on processing time, even more if we add sea/river supply lines...

Because, yes, I'd like the supply lines to be able to use sea/river routes too.

For that one I don't know how to check for a disembark/embark cost, I suppose it's possible, maybe I'd just need to look at how it's done for civ5 in c++ and convert to Lua, but I have a simpler solution: allow only one disembark from river/sea to land, in the city to unit direction (assuming the unit doesn't have the infrastructure to "create" supply boats, while cities with docks can)

So each time an unit is adjacent to a coast or a river, check for a direct sea/river route with the city during the loop that update the unit path to cities, and if there is one, consider the current plot the unit is as its "disembark plot", then the following turns only check if the river/sea path to the "disembark plot" is still valid, and then check if there is a valid land path from the "disembark plot" to the unit.

Of course, the land supply lines will be (much) shorter than sea/river supply lines.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    sunrisereader likes this.
  4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

A few thoughts:

- Red Dead Redemption 2 in November 2019
    - Cyberpunk 2077 in April 2020
    - Humankind in 2020
    - Still no DLL source code release date for civ6

To summarize, I'm afraid I won't have a lot of time for this project in the months to come, but to be honest this is just a confirmation of the near-hibernation state since some time, and not just for this specific project, but in the whole civ6 modding section on CFC*.

Still thinking on how to implement this or that, and I will surely add some of the stuff I've talked in the previous posts at some point in the near future.

Just don't hold your breath...

*There are other factors than civ6 modding capabilities here, but the simple fact is that I need to rely on steam comments to get feedback on YnAMP for example, which mean I need to release untested stuff on the workshop (as I don't play civ6 myself), with the counter-productive noise it generates because of the automated updates for all users of the mod...