General A New Dawn discussion

There is an option, in the standard civ4 options (so press Esc and select "Options"), called "No unit cycling". This disables the "auto select next unit". You can press W to do it manually, or select whatever unit you want to move next.

I couldn't play without this option, not with so many units at the same time in later parts of AND and the screen jumping all over the map every time I moved a unit.

Heh. I never knew that was an option (and after so many years too).

Now if only they had coded in a camera movement speed option too :lol:

Going into the ini and editing that line is tedious, as is having to click all over the minimap to get anywhere because scrolling takes too long.

Not as annoying as the unit cycling in the late game though but would have been a nice touch regardless.

A few people had posted ways to change the Game Options mid-game without having to save a World Builder file, as well as a list of the AND game options... I can't find it now. Seems to get buried so quickly, maybe it should be put in one of the sticky threads? Which one though, that's the question...

I thought I recalled a panel in the World Builder that said 'Game Data' that you could change these things in, but I guess I'm remembering that from C2C or some other mod. I forgot to enable Permanent Alliances and I'm already getting close to the Industrial, definitely don't want to restart now :lol:
(Would be nice if you could just force defensive pacts / teams via the World Builder, but AND's still using the standard WB so alas.)

45°38'N-13°47'E;13639499 said:
It's in the first post in the download thread but options there in the screenshot might be outdated

Since the option I'm looking for in this case is a BTS one, that shouldn't be a problem - thanks ^^

On a different note entirely, I just came across some interesting terrain texture effects while starting a 6v6 Modern-era game on a Tortesta map:

banding-terrain.jpg Civ4ScreenShot0104.JPG

My guess is it was caused by the 7:1 ratio of the map. Never seen that before really. :)

A few people had posted ways to change the Game Options mid-game without having to save a World Builder file, as well as a list of the AND game options... I can't find it now. Seems to get buried so quickly, maybe it should be put in one of the sticky threads? Which one though, that's the question...

I thought I recalled a panel in the World Builder that said 'Game Data' that you could change these things in, but I guess I'm remembering that from C2C or some other mod. I forgot to enable Permanent Alliances and I'm already getting close to the Industrial, definitely don't want to restart now :lol:
(Would be nice if you could just force defensive pacts / teams via the World Builder, but AND's still using the standard WB so alas.)

C2C is using a pretty outdated WB of mine :D

That was strange. Start a new game, and didn't like the map I rolled. So I regenerated it, and on the next turn my Scout randomly jumped up to level 16 oO

Deleted it a moment later, and a dozen turns later an enemy scout wandered by also with a thousand promotions on him. I checked the World Builder and found three more units like this.

I recall this being brought up a few times, usually had to do with cache not being cleared after switching mods? I haven't played anything else though... How strange.

Well this is certainly annoying... Sitting Bull plants a city right on my borders and AND's "Never let a city's adjacent tiles be stolen" feature takes away a few tiles of mine, which from my time in the World Builder let me know that there was Iron there. Thankfully a barbarian axeman killed the defenders and razed the city, but then the Zulu come and plant a city in the same spot a few turns later :mad:

Once again, and despite having 90% culture in the tile and three WW's in the nearby city pushing culture outwards, the zulu now have full control over the Iron resource there, and there's nothing I can do about it. Shout of going into the WB and demolishing the city of course... (We're on the same team so I can't just declare war and take it)

Civ4ScreenShot0108.JPG

Now I could put enough culture on it that he'd just trade the city to me, but that'd take centuries :sad:
Thankfully there is another Iron resource nearby, but it's right on the borders of the Aztecs - and we're at war (Always War, 6v6 game. I enjoy odd games like this :lol: ) so it'd be risky. This Iron resource should have been mine, and in BTS would still be mine despite that city being there. Ah well, nothing much I can do about it =/

I thought the "8 1-range tiles always belong to the city" thing had been disabled some time ago?

I thought the "8 1-range tiles always belong to the city" thing had been disabled some time ago?

I remember tiles several rings away from the cities used to be very very VERY difficult to pry away from another civilization, but that changed after the option you mentioned was added in. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something about that option though...?

Well this is certainly annoying... Sitting Bull plants a city right on my borders and AND's "Never let a city's adjacent tiles be stolen" feature takes away a few tiles of mine, which from my time in the World Builder let me know that there was Iron there. Thankfully a barbarian axeman killed the defenders and razed the city, but then the Zulu come and plant a city in the same spot a few turns later :mad:

Once again, and despite having 90% culture in the tile and three WW's in the nearby city pushing culture outwards, the zulu now have full control over the Iron resource there, and there's nothing I can do about it. Shout of going into the WB and demolishing the city of course... (We're on the same team so I can't just declare war and take it)

View attachment 388239

Now I could put enough culture on it that he'd just trade the city to me, but that'd take centuries :sad:
Thankfully there is another Iron resource nearby, but it's right on the borders of the Aztecs - and we're at war (Always War, 6v6 game. I enjoy odd games like this :lol: ) so it'd be risky. This Iron resource should have been mine, and in BTS would still be mine despite that city being there. Ah well, nothing much I can do about it =/

I suppose they have Fixed Borders while you don't. Is that correct?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13643682 said:
I suppose they have Fixed Borders while you don't. Is that correct?

Neither of us have Fixed Borders, but I considered it as a possibility anyway so I double-checked to make sure that I didn't have that option enabled...

No Fixed Borders is indeed enabled, so that's out.
And I didn't accidentally enable the 8-tile-culture option at the end either. Unless some recent revision accidentally switched that on in the background somehow. *edt* I'll attach the save file in a moment, but it's revision 858

@resurrection team

Is it possible to change AND2 DLL support 60 civs like RI?

My huge world map scenario is progressing fine but theres still 3-4 civs I would like to include.

I have to say that this mod performance is really great these days. 50 civ huge map and even turn times is not issue. I use AI autoplay to test and 500-1000 turns takes only few minutes.

I've noticed something wrong with regenerating maps in general; if you regenerate once a map, then you settle your first city, you gain insane amount (for the Ancient Era) of beakers, making teching really easy.

I've noticed something wrong with regenerating maps in general; if you regenerate once a map, then you settle your first city, you gain insane amount (for the Ancient Era) of beakers, making teching really easy.

I didn't notice that personally, but I was playing in a team game so that probably affected the beaker count a bit. HOWEVER I did notice that several AI and myself each had a unit with hundreds of EXP points. It hasn't happened again yet, so I'm thinking me regenerating the map did something to the starting units somehow? :confused:

I have noticed it too. Long time ago actually... Its my main reason to not regenerating maps anymore.

Well I switched on the Units Per Tile limit, set it to a comfortable 10 - just enough to have a good sized army, but not too high to have abuse (Dunno how the AI will handle it though)

However.... It does nothing? I've got a stack and keep pushing units onto it, but it doesn't stop them. Is this only good at the start of the game? Do I have to re-load the game for it to take effect?

I'm not really bothered by Stacks of Doom anyway, so it's not a big deal to me. That's what siege weapons and bombers are for.
*Edit* reloaded the game and it's working. I set it to ten, but after eleven units are in a tile it won't allow any further units to move onto it.

Top Bottom