General A New Dawn discussion

2) I remember it was possible, but can't find it anymore: where can I edit the number of turns after which the barbarians stop spawning as animals and start spawning actual "human" units (i.e. warriors, archers etc.)?

Your comment and the gameplay link in your signature makes me miss the barbarian activity of base BTS and older AND sooooo much :cry:

It may be a stupid question, but I'm curious:
Does the barbarian leader have traits? Are barbarians affected by traits at all? Would it make barbarians stronger to give them more / all traits? Would it make any sense at all?

No to all of above, from what I know.
Problem with barbarians at the moment might be more in maps than in dll to tell the truth. I can increase a lot barb activity and I've done it in the past, problem is that there's usually some part of the map filled with barb units and some parts with no barbarian activity at all, which is totally unbalanced. It's a long time I don't try tweaking barbs anyway, I'll do it when I have some time

I can't check now but IIRC it's in eraInfos.XML. any changes there might have strange results. At the moment problem with barb activity is in dll I fear

Thanks, I'll check when I get home in a couple of days.

What about "realistic timescale"? Is it dependent on game turn or the calendar?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13625268 said:
Problem with barbarians at the moment might be more in maps than in dll to tell the truth. I can increase a lot barb activity and I've done it in the past, problem is that there's usually some part of the map filled with barb units and some parts with no barbarian activity at all, which is totally unbalanced. It's a long time I don't try tweaking barbs anyway, I'll do it when I have some time

There's also that I frequently see animals stick around far longer than they should, and Warriors/Archers don't start showing up until the bulk of the world are fielding axes or even swords.

Maps I recall that Highlands was particularly nasty with barbarians, and I both fondly and fearfully recall the terrible flood of barbarians I encountered on that map once upon a time in AND (Not the archaic 1.75 version). Several AIs being killed efore the Medieval - even Babylon, who had five cities, was killed off in the late classic from the sheer number of barbarians that just swarmed over him. Groups of muskets would be killed by Pikemen and Maces from numbers alone - that many barbarians were roaming around, the barbarian cities dotted the map all over...

I love barbarian activity, it was one of my favorite parts of the early game and I always was sad to see them disappear in the mid to late game, so that was just... In a way, it was beautiful yet terrifying. Made for a very exciting game though!

I've tried Highlands a few times since then, and haven't had a similar game yet. :(
Maybe if I enabled Barbarian World...

Though I've no idea how barbs are coded, might it be possible to make the barb spawn routine ignore "useless" terrain like one tile islands (even 2- and 3- tile islands as well) and deserts and ice terrain?
Calculate the number of barbs the usual way, but make them spawn only on terrain where it's more probable to find a civ.

Pretty sure there's something wrong with this text box...

Civ4ScreenShot0047.JPG

The people want me to adopt Atheist so they can practice and spread Confucianism :crazyeye:

I think their cities got nuked one too many times by myself and De Gualle :lol:

Thanks, I'll check when I get home in a couple of days.

What about "realistic timescale"? Is it dependent on game turn or the calendar?
Game turn, but I've scaled that to calendar a long time ago.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry when I see how desperate the AI gets with their off-continent settling sometimes :p

Civ4ScreenShot0049.JPG

Ha... 10 turns remaining now. Just ten turns. Still so much technology left to research, so many things left to do... Spaceship barely finished... First AND game I've played literally from start to finish. Just twenty turns ago I was scrambling to try and pull ahead of Zara before the game's end, several times when I was on the verge of dying off, and my territory never really budged much until the end of the game because the AIs were almost always ahead in tech and power. Friends who were once enemies working together to pull ahead of the leading AIs, and Sejong nuking everyone and everything and racking up some serious diplomatic penalties. I think I'm one of several nations NOT at war with his team right now :lol:

Aaah... Will be a pity to have this game end.

Just wondering: Why is there capital (the letter) at the start of each word in some sentences in english ? Is that intended ? I noticed this happens mostly on older strings. In french, this is a grammatical error so i've tried to remove this where i can.
Random example:
Code:
<TEXT>
  <Tag>TXT_KEY_CIVIC_RELIGION_SPREAD_RATE_FAST</Tag>
  <English>[ICON_BULLET]Religions Spread %d1% Faster</English>
  <French>[ICON_BULLET]Les religions se propagent %d1% plus vite</French>
  <German>[ICON_BULLET]Religionen verbreiten sich %d1% schneller</German>
  <Polish>[ICON_BULLET]Rozprzestrzenianie religii %d1% szybciej</Polish>
 </TEXT>

It's hardly standard practice in English either.

It's hardly standard practice in English either.
I thought it's better when you see Domestic Advisor (for example) instead of domestic advisor when hovering the mouse over the icon. It's not a standard practice in italian either, but I have no doubt that the former looks better.

Isn't the correct version "Domestic advisor"?

EDIT: Sorry, the "c" was a typo :x

But in titles such as that, I quite agree. Tooltips can be quite a mixed bag.

(And no, dbkblk, the word is definitely 'domestic', from the Latin.)

But in titles such as that, I quite agree. Tooltips can be quite a mixed bag.

(And no, dbkblk, the word is definitely 'domestic', from the Latin.)
I guess it was a typo and he was referring to the capital D.

Ah. :)

Well I just screwed up with the High-to-Low option here :lol:

So I start the game in the southern tundra, and I go build a wonder and it moves me over to Ethopia up in the northern tundra. It took a while, but I started working my way up and once I got some chariots I declared war on Korea just south of me, easily taking their cities.

Civ4ScreenShot0082.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0083.JPG

They went from third place to last. Unfortunately, before I could do anything or finish moving my units to their last city... It forced me into the last place civilization as per the game option. Which happened to be the doomed Koreans :crazyeye:
Civ4ScreenShot0084.JPG

My military consists of a javelin and two slingers, Ethopia has Copper, Horses, Elephants and... Is on their way to take my only city. I did declare war on half the known world right before it swapped me, but this isn't going to end well regardless!

I didn't notice it pushing me into first place, otherwise I would have made peace - or just tried to set up my forces so I could take both cities at once. I suppose I'll reload and try that, since there's no way Zara's going to let me off this alive. I've got no one to blame but myself though, for not paying attention to the scoreboard (And for both thinking there was someone lower than Korea still around, and that I could finish them off before the swap!)

Well I just screwed up with the High-to-Low option here
Nice one ! I've never used this option but it looks really fun.

Nice one ! I've never used this option but it looks really fun.

It's certainly interesting for sure, especially if you're consistently steamrolling every game you play.

Basically you start the game as normal, say with Greece. You found a city or two, build a wonder and have a nice economy going...

...And then you're whisked away to the AI in last place (And your former civilization isn't renamed. It's funny seeing "you are the worst enemy of [your own name]" :lol: )
This AI just happens to be stuck at one city and was building a Settler at size 1 for some reason. If they've met any other leaders, their espionage advisor will be doing some wonky things (takes a while to get them from 67 ~ 90+ down to wherever you want them)

After that, you war with a rival nation, found a religion by some miracle, and are getting back to speed...

And then away we go back to the lowest AI on the scoreboard. An isolated nation with two cities at the edge of the world who is still in the Ancient era while your last nation was one tech away from the Medieval. This is the nation you have to conquer the world with.

Welcome to "High to Low" :lol:

The plus side is you'll often get assistance from Flex.Difficulty pushing you down to Settler once you take control of the AI runts, but if you set yourself up into a lousy position like I did with Ethopia/Korea... That might not be enough!

Top Bottom