General A New Dawn discussion

Getting back at Piracy & Subs. Having read previously that piracy does not apply on subs I am curious if that just has been a rumor or recently added as a feature or a plain bug that I can apply piracy to attack subs? With the proper reqs CA1 & (+1 mov)2 of course.

Also about subs: The Missile Sub. It... is not very good. Its bad enough that big nukes depend on a building that depends on 2 civics. But a missile sub that cannot load anything but those? No tak. nukes, no cruise/bio missiles?

edit:
Also about Piracy: I thought Pirate ships loose the feat after upgrading to nuclear. Is it intended they do not or was it fusion they are supposed to? Right now about 25 pirates; mostly fast battleships; a few missile cruisers, m. destroyers & a sub tearing everything on sea apart. Should that continue they out level, out gun everything on fusion no matter the AI having fusion ships too at some point.

You should be able to carry other missiles on other subs and missile cruisers and destroyers if I'm not mistaken. Also powerful nukes are restricted for proliferation reasons. But overall, I'm still working on it to improve game experience.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13988105 said:
You should be able to carry other missiles on other subs and missile cruisers and destroyers if I'm not mistaken. Also powerful nukes are restricted for proliferation reasons. But overall, I'm still working on it to improve game experience.

Its less about the ability to load regular missiles in m.des & m.cru but the ability to build a sub that clearly tied to the warhead factory and/or MAD civic as it is.

Sure, my Civ is rich. I could build them like mad, store them somewhere & abuse some future golden age to load them then. I just think that the unit as a missile sub itself is far too interesting to restrict it to big nukes use only... and far too useless to build if you do not have MAD/UMW running ;)

And before I forget:
But overall, I'm still working on it to improve game experience.

You and your pals doing some awesome work here. Just see the nagging as what it is; nagging. :)

Aren't fighter recon missions supposed to reveal Invisible units? I could have sworn they did... But my Modern and Stealth fighters aren't revealing Saladin's Genetic Soldiers (And boy do I hate those things. Very high strength, invisible, and the AI have a huge love for them - training them in ridiculously high numbers).

Am I wrong in this? I clearly remember my aircraft revealing Genetic Soldiers in the past, I'm almost positive of it. Or is it that the aircraft need to perform the recon directly on top of or adjacent to the invisible unit? (Which makes them difficult but not impossible to reveal)

*EDIT* Just ran some tests with some World Builder'ed in aircraft. It was the Aurora Scramjet I was thinking of when it came to spotting Genetic/Super Soldiers, not the regular fighters.
Which is very very unfortunate since Saladin's had these Genetics for almost a hundred turns now (He's nearing the end of the tech tree already, over a dozen techs past everyone else...) and I have ZERO ways to spot these things, except for waiting for them to attack me first and hoping my obsolete units can fight them off. Hypersonic Flight is a bit of a ways away too.

Aren't fighter recon missions supposed to reveal Invisible units? I could have sworn they did... But my Modern and Stealth fighters aren't revealing Saladin's Genetic Soldiers (And boy do I hate those things. Very high strength, invisible, and the AI have a huge love for them - training them in ridiculously high numbers).

Am I wrong in this? I clearly remember my aircraft revealing Genetic Soldiers in the past, I'm almost positive of it. Or is it that the aircraft need to perform the recon directly on top of or adjacent to the invisible unit? (Which makes them difficult but not impossible to reveal)

*EDIT* Just ran some tests with some World Builder'ed in aircraft. It was the Aurora Scramjet I was thinking of when it came to spotting Genetic/Super Soldiers, not the regular fighters.
Which is very very unfortunate since Saladin's had these Genetics for almost a hundred turns now (He's nearing the end of the tech tree already, over a dozen techs past everyone else...) and I have ZERO ways to spot these things, except for waiting for them to attack me first and hoping my obsolete units can fight them off. Hypersonic Flight is a bit of a ways away too.

There are 3 types of invisibility:
  • Spies: you won't see them anyway
  • Subs: maybe they can be detected by aircraft and other ways (I don't remember)
  • High-tech: can be detected by units saying "Can see high-tech units". These are the Genetic Soldiers, Stealth Destroyer, Stealth Armor, etc.

EDIT: What s this this new fairy dragon of you :lol:

There are 3 types of invisibility:
  • Spies: you won't see them anyway
  • Subs: maybe they can be detected by aircraft and other ways (I don't remember)
  • High-tech: can be detected by units saying "Can see high-tech units". These are the Genetic Soldiers, Stealth Destroyer, Stealth Armor, etc.

Doesn't seem like the High-tech invisibility is really a problem, since Hypersonic Flight arrives long before the Genetic Soldiers *should* - but I was caught in that awkward situation when someone else is almost halfway through the Transhuman and you're still in the Modern Era :crazyeye:

Fighting ACV's, Stealth Fighters/Bombers, and Genetic Soldiers with just Mechanized Infantry and Strategic Bombers is a painful experience. Nuclear Weapons saved my life, now he's 4.6 in power rating, his entire empire is a nuclear wasteland, and he's lost four cities (This being 270 or so turns after he declared war though... Was not an easy turn around!) and he STILL won't make peace unless I give HIM a city! :crazyeye::rolleyes:
The AI are absolutely insane this game. Maybe he's been nuked so many times its fried his logic circuits...

Speaking of which, NO ONE in the game has built any of the anti-nuke buildings yet, and several leaders are nearing the end of the tech tree. No SDI, no Laser Anti-Missile, no Railgun Defenses... There's plenty of Aircraft and bombers (And Saladin constantly bombing my Uranium... Smart move! :goodjob: )but no one's built any of the anti-nuke buildings yet. Except me, when I got the warning that Lincoln was pre-targeting my border cities with Tactical Nukes... :p

What s this this new fairy dragon of you :lol:
Bit off the topic of Civ but here goes xD
It's called a Great Jaggi, a dinosaur-like dragon from Capcom's 'Monster Hunter' series of games and was introduced in the third generation of games. Like the raptors before him (Velocidrome, Gendrome, Iodrome) they're classified under 'Bird Wyverns' and are pack hunters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPivUkCpR4I He's got a catchy themesong too <3

Nuclear Weapons saved my life, now he's 4.6 in power rating, his entire empire is a nuclear wasteland, and he's lost four cities (This being 270 or so turns after he declared war though... Was not an easy turn around!) and he STILL won't make peace unless I give HIM a city! :crazyeye::rolleyes:
The AI are absolutely insane this game. Maybe he's been nuked so many times its fried his logic circuits...

Speaking of which, NO ONE in the game has built any of the anti-nuke buildings yet, and several leaders are nearing the end of the tech tree. No SDI, no Laser Anti-Missile, no Railgun Defenses...

I've seen AI building SDI but rarely anything else, I'm working on it. Which revision are you playing with? I've recently changed a bit nukes logic, did AI send some nukes towards you once you nuked them? Was either of you using MAD civic? Also when lot of nukes have been fired, most AI should vote for NPT. Did it happen?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13992314 said:
I've seen AI building SDI but rarely anything else, I'm working on it. Which revision are you playing with? I've recently changed a bit nukes logic, did AI send some nukes towards you once you nuked them? Was either of you using MAD civic? Also when lot of nukes have been fired, most AI should vote for NPT. Did it happen?

Will need to open up Civ again, but it's the second most latest revision - right before dbk's "Barbarian Update".

Saladin's been nuked the most, but he never trained any Nukes himself, despite being in Unmanned Warfare civic. He's mostly been prioritizing Genetic Soldiers to do damage.

America's in MAD and built a few tactical nukes and A-Bombers, and is starting to build some Warhead Factories - nothing else to report on that just yet.

A lot of Wonders have gone unbuilt, possibly because half the AI are impossibly backwards (I have Realistic Timescale and Tech Diffusion both disabled for this game. Sink or Swim based on your own research efforts, and I was sinking for quite a while as Saladin and Mansa sped into the Transhuman without me!) or were wrapped up in near-constant warfare.

As for the United Nations.... Whenever someone was voted in, they wasted time almost exclusively on Single Currency (It's come up THREE times now) and Make Peace with X Nation votes. No mention of forced civic changes or Nuclear Bans yet, despite Saladin and Mansa trading a large amount of tac-nukes earlier on (Gifted by me mostly) and me turning Saladin's empire into something straight out of the Fallout series (3 Hydrogen Bombs, five BBMs and a Plague Bringer, and around 7 Nuclear Missiles). He still is prioritizing Genetic Soldiers over almost everything else. He's stopped building ACV's and ACV SAM's and hasn't built any Special Infantry either - his army is almost entirely composed of Genetic Soldiers at this point, and that's all he's continuing to build.

So far though, no word on any Anti-Nuke defenses from any nation other than my own. Plenty of Tac-nukes being built at this point, from the few nations with access to Uranium (Three.) but that's the extent of it.

Here's my most recent save though, if you'd like to take a look.

Attachments

• AND - Akaikosh 1022015.rar
    4 MB · Views: 40
It's always interesting to see how other people do things!
I'm also envious, I haven't had the time to reach so far into the game for a while now...

I'm trying a fix for AI not building anti-nukes defenses; while I'm at it I've noticed that AI never build Eden project or ITER project, they're undervalued. So either we give some other bonus to those project or I could simply hard code a default bonus for those, which is something I really don't like.

45°38'N-13°47'E;13992952 said:
I'm trying a fix for AI not building anti-nukes defenses; while I'm at it I've noticed that AI never build Eden project or ITER project, they're undervalued. So either we give some other bonus to those project or I could simply hard code a default bonus for those, which is something I really don't like.

Eden terraforms your entire nation, which should in theory be pretty powerful. I suppose the AI just doesn't understand that it could be worth their time?

ITER I'm assuming is the Thermonuclear Reactor project. Maybe the AI just sees it as useless, since by the time it comes around most of your cities will already have Nuclear, Hydro, or Solar plants in them as it is. For that reason I've only ever built it two or three times. I'm building right now though, if only to make my nation look more advanced :lol: It's a "useless" project in this current game since I already have the Three Gorges on one continent, and Solar/Nuclear plants in all my cities on the other two.

On that note, I don't think I've ever once built the Matter Decompiler in my entire time playing AND.

Unrelated, but I had a laugh at what happened just two turns after I razed this Arabian city:
Civ4ScreenShot0411.JPG

That's some prime real estate Qin's secured there :lol:
Doesn't have the tech to remove the biological fallout, and neither does Asoka - who also founded a city just a bit to the north and east off the screen also a few turns after the city there ceased to exist :crazyeye:

Unfortunately the fallout on the mountains are there to stay, since I don't have Useable Mountains enabled and thus no way to get up there to clean it up. Even worse, biological fallout spreads to nearby tiles...

Nuclear plants scare me. Unless I'm desperate for health, I'd prefer not to build them over coal and oil plants. Hydro and solar plants are my preferred choice, but sometimes those aren't an option.

Nuclear plants scare me. Unless I'm desperate for health, I'd prefer not to build them over coal and oil plants. Hydro and solar plants are my preferred choice, but sometimes those aren't an option.

The chance at nuclear meltdown is pretty dang small, sometimes I go entire games without dozens of "Chance of meltdown" buildings ever doing so.....

....But that chance just being there still makes me a touch nervous :lol:

I laugh at such fear of the Atom! :nuke:
Last time I reached Nuclear Plants, I went and demolished all the old Coal and Oil plants I had (but not the Hydro Plants, where I could build them). It was back when Ctrl-A was still active and Nuke Plants did not correctly replace the other kinds...

In other news, I'm really liking the "get occasional free Workers while running Slavery", though it is kinda hilarious to get an extra Worker when destroying an enemy... Worker! :crazyeye:

I laugh at such fear of the Atom! :nuke:
Last time I reached Nuclear Plants, I went and demolished all the old Coal and Oil plants I had (but not the Hydro Plants, where I could build them). It was back when Ctrl-A was still active and Nuke Plants did not correctly replace the other kinds...

In other news, I'm really liking the "get occasional free Workers while running Slavery", though it is kinda hilarious to get an extra Worker when destroying an enemy... Worker! :crazyeye:

I play on snail speed with like fifty cities. The statistical probability is enough to make me nervous.

And I've found I keep getting free workers from battles even after switching out of slavery.

Shaka has a city garrison consisting of
45 riflemen
12 dragoons
42 light Calvary
34 elephant Calvary
405 cannons
1880 grenadiers
Does anyone know how I can edit out the 1880 grenadiers? I looked for a way in WB but there my only option is to delete the whole garrison one unit at a time without being able to sort the stack.

Shaka has a city garrison consisting of
45 riflemen
12 dragoons
42 light Calvary
34 elephant Calvary
405 cannons
1880 grenadiers
Does anyone know how I can edit out the 1880 grenadiers? I looked for a way in WB but there my only option is to delete the whole garrison one unit at a time without being able to sort the stack.

If anyone knows a way to do this practically, I'm all ears as well. Lots of mindless clicking to remove huge stacks.

(Though, setting Units-Per-Tile to something like 80, vastly reduces "true" stacks of doom like that - but it's still a lot of clicking!)

Most big mods like RI, HR, FFH and PIE are already using it. Even C2C has a outdated version.
It doesn't take much effort to integrate it into any mod, since 99% of mods do not have modified WB in the first place.

But you do need some python merging skills as BUG disabled some parts in CvGameUtils.

Top Bottom