General Comments + Special & Hut pattern in our game... (300KB graphics!)

starlifter

Deity
General Comments

As our 1st President Elect, Dell, said in his thread, several things need to be decided. In the larger picture, many more things will need to be decided by our citizens.

The Democracy game is an almost ideal way to help the newer Civ 2 players gain insight into the "hows" & "whys", and hopefully boost their confidence and skill in playing (& improving) their own Deity games. This is especially true because game goes so slowly and is discussed from many points of view by many people along the way, and it's one of my personal reasons for playing Democracy (especially a full 7-civ Deity game at Raging Hordes like this one)...

BTW, a little-known place for "live" examples of ongoing games is the Civ 2 Stories Forum, where succession games are played. This link (always in my Signature Block) will get you to the Acronyms, Jargon, Abbreviations, and some major strategies quickly. The Search function works well, too. :)

Huts and Specials.

Since this evolved into basically general knowledge, I have moved the main part of the Huts and Specials explanation here.

In our specific game, with that hut showing at the start it means: we almost know the layout of almost all huts and specials in the game (though we still need one or two pieces of info). These pieces of info may influence our choice of Capital location, and will influence later cities we make.

Applying this to our start location can help determine the exact squares we need to initally explore, and help determine the optimum location for our Capital and first cities. Remember that grassland will render invisible the presence of the Special, until it is mined or transformed.

:)

Application of the above:

The visible hut is hopefully not on the dateline... if this is so (statistically, we are not on the dateline), then you can compare what is showing to the graphics I have posted and already narrow down the possibilities, based on the hut and the lack of specials in the surrounding non-grassland terrain.

Here is what we know now, with the hut patterns (green), connections (blue), two sample 8-Special outlines (Lt Blue) [plus their major & minor axes (red & white)].

:)

I'm not trying to demonise him, but I am suspicious of Smash and am awaiting the surprises in store on this map. Fortunately we can work out the special pattern only from our position on the world map and whereabouts the huts are - if he has grasslanded our immediate surroundings. Can someone post the minimap to show whereabouts in the world we are and then I can start speculating as to which of the grassland squares will need to be transformed. :D

Here is the start location in BC4000:

Barring Dateline, the lack of Silk or Pheasant on the forest next to the hut, plus the lack of a hut on teh forest directly 3 west, precludes the yellow-X'd locations (of the hut we can see in BC4000) in my earlier post.

Intentional or not, Smash has already been "sneaky" ;) , because some of the key visible terrain that would tell the tale is grassland... and you can't "see" a special on grassland :(.

OK.... but it's mostly black right now. You're asking for the World View, BTW :) :

BTW, if anyone was interested, the Graphic that Duke posted is from the Stories & Tales thread, in a Succession game at Deity + 1 than Andu has going. We take turns playing groups of turns, and the "Starlifter III" refers to the reign of my third king. The map helps those like Duke o York (who cannot download and view a .SAV file, or who have only MGE which cannot use D+1) see what is going on. :)

Top Bottom