German Tricolor Knight

Wolfshanze

CFC Historian
This is a reskin of bernie14's Teutonic Knight.

I've never been overly-fond of most of the German Medieval units being patterned off of white-clad Teutonic Knights with a simple black cross on their tunics... historical as it may be, I always found it rather dull and unimaginative. Bernie14 has occasionally made red/white/black (German tricolor) based German units, and I've always been a big fan of his work on those units... I've actually been working on completing a German set of Medieval units based on this German tricolor pattern, and here's my newest effort... the German Knight... fitting too, that it's actually based on one of Bernie's own Teutonic Knights! Hope you enjoy!

v2.0 includes a new model, the Prussian Tricolor Knight (different eagle).

All needed files included... uses default Knight animations.

Download Here

German Knight (left) & Prussian Knight (right) in Civilopedia

German Knight in-game

Prussian Knight in-game

German Knight (front-center) with some of his medieval buddies

Nice unit, the eagle looks too modern for me though, the one of the general would suit him better imo.

Nice unit, the eagle looks too modern for me though, the one of the general would suit him better imo.
Uggg... everyone's a critic! :rolleyes:

Does everyone in the German civilization have to come from Prussia? I did say "German Knight" not "Prussian Knight"... ;)

Anyhoo, check the download up-top... sheesh... gotta please everyone around here!

Let me summarize my "view" of Medieval Germany (and Civ4 units in-general)... I've never been too fond of the "cookie cutter" approach to units where every single unit in a Civ looks 100% identical to the guy next to him except for the weapon he carries... this is especially true for the medieval time-frame, as national standing armies were incredibly rare across the globe... seeing as how Medieval Germany was a series of kingdoms and principalities I figured a medieval German army would probably have different heraldic symbols from one unit to the next... not everybody would carry the Prussian eagle, some may very well carry a different eagle... I was just trying to diversify... and while I like the Red/Black/White color pattern, I deliberately try and keep my units not from all having the exact same outfit, just with a different weapon... well... that's my outlook on it...

But nobody cares... they just want that Prussian Eagle on everything... okay... well, top post updated with an option for both! :crazyeye:

It would be interesting if the shield had images other than Prussian eagles, and the units had something different. But since the computer would have to draw a new model for each one, it could become taxing on a system.

Well the original "German" eagle isn't Prussian... which was my whole point... while all Prussians may well be German, not all Germans are Prussians! I was simply trying to diversify the heraldry of the Medieval units... didn't want them all looking identical... but I will accommodate those that love that Prussian Eagle! ;)

Uggg... everyone's a critic! :rolleyes:

as if that is news to you ;)

Does everyone in the German civilization have to come from Prussia? I did say "German Knight" not "Prussian Knight"... ;)

It could have been another eagle as well, just a more ancient looking one - and since you already had one, I suggested that.

It could have been another eagle as well, just a more ancient looking one - and since you already had one, I suggested that.
Just for you Mamba, I'll slap this one on my "German" knight! ;)

If you want another eagle, go for the one from Brandenburg
You're not fooling me... that's just the Prussian Eagle in red without the crown, scepter and globe!

You and your "all Germans must sport the Prussian Eagle"...

I'm not falling for that one! ;)

You're not fooling me... that's just the Prussian Eagle in red without the crown, scepter and globe!

The Prussian eagle looks somewhat different from the one in your pic.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Flag_of_Prussia_1892-1918.svg

As the Brandenburg eagle predates the Prussian eagle, I'd say your pic shows a black version of the Brandenburg eagle with the prussian regalia ;)

Here is an older version of the Prussian eagle

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php..._(1466-1772).svg&filetimestamp=20071223153341

Well, I've just been averse to all the "Medieval Germans must wear white with a black cross" themes. Besides... all that white on a medieval battlefield must be hell on the laundry bill! :p

The Prussian eagle looks somewhat different from the one in your pic.
Now you're being too picky... there is no "ONE" Prussian Eagle... there are in fact many "official" ones... depends on what day of the week you want to look at Prussia and which "official" thing you are looking at...

Here's another "official" Prussian Eagle... there are many, and the Prussian Eagle I showed you is just as "right" as all the others. I could probably post at least half a dozen or more "official" Prussian Eagles... suffice to say, the Prussian Eagle is black, and usually sports a crown, scepter & globe (or sometimes a sword and arrows)... they're all "Prussian Eagles".

I noticed you managed to turn the discussion back to Prussian Eagles... will you stop at nothing to get them all over every German unit!?!?! :lol: :p :mischief:

If you can find something that looks cooler than eagles, fine with me. I don't even know the names of other German states... I can only name Prussia. Besides, I can take eagles more seriously than plaid.

Not stopping you from doing something else, though.

I'm pretty much done with this unit... I have what I want for almost all of Medieval Germany. I'm happy with how it came out, and I don't mind having the option of German or Prussian Eagles... having said that, I'm not really interested in doing anymore symbols for this unit (certainly not plaid units)... but if folks want to mess around with the unit, I can provide the "blank" PNG files (the Horse and Rider colored as seen above, but without any of the emblems/heralds) for anyone interested in doing their own.

just saw these...very NICE !! :goodjob:, the more diversity the better.....it seems the way that avain and chuggi are coding the "newer" units, we will be able to make MUCH variations!!

just saw these...very NICE !! :goodjob:, the more diversity the better.....it seems the way that avain and chuggi are coding the "newer" units, we will be able to make MUCH variations!!
This is all actually you're fault Bernie! My idea of converting all of the Medieval German units to the red/white/black tricolor was based on the discovery of your old Pikeman and Spearman units (the Spearman of which I just had you recently update). Before starting the path towards the red/white/black German Tricolors, I was using an assortment of Teutonic White and Hapsburg Yellow Germans. :sad:

I much prefer the German Tricolor units... it all started when I saw your old units Bernie! I think about all I have left to do is the Swordsman and Horseman for Germany.

Top Bottom