Germany Changes Poll

Thoughts on these German proposed changes

• I like the new Realpolitik proposal

Votes: 68 66.7%
  • I dislike the new Realpolitik proposal, and don't want Germany's UA to change

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I dislike the new Realpolitik proposal, but I agree that Germany's UA should change

Votes: 23 22.5%
  • I like the new Landsknecht proposal

Votes: 59 57.8%
  • I dislike the new Landsknecht proposal; I want to keep the Panzer

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • I dislike the new Landsknecht proposal, but I don't like the Panzer either

Votes: 9 8.8%

• Total voters
so you are rewarded for voting “correctly” in all 3 resolutions per session, but splitting your votes among all 3 reduces your power to influence the 1 you most care about.
Let's consider when you are able to split your votes:
"If you already have enough votes that you know that you will win your own proposal"

If this is the case, you are already close in winning and don't need any further bonuses. For a very long period, you can't afford that. You are forced most of the time to spend all your votes for your own proposal, cause it will inevitable piss one ore more people off, what you propose.
Is it really worth to potentially miss your own proposal you really need 90% of times, only to get some science and culture?
And from a roleplaying/historical aspect, isn't this the complete opposite from what Bismarck has done? Bismarck was a maker, he created the circumstances which are necessary to achieve his own goals and then push towards that goal till it's achieved. But here you are giving your votes to other people's proposals, running behind them like a dog. You are already forced to get the maximum out of your Hanse by using often crappy and dangerous trade routes, you are now additional forced to piss even more people off with your votes to get something from your UA.

Last edited:
I know there's some concern about the placement of the Landsknecht, and I even shared it when thinking about it. But you have to remember at least it isn't yet another Cavalry (or one tech before/after) UU. I actually use Tercios, and the early unlock has potential to be interesting.

I'm not crazy about the -20:c5production: and +1:c5gold: though, seems kinda like much ado over nothing.

These are small elements that can easily be modified or removed if judged superfluous.

UU - I'm sure you are correct about the panzer historically but from a gameplay perspective it actually kinda works. It is late but ballistics is much earlier than combined arms and it can absolutely conquer the entire world for you which feels like what Germany is known for trying to do and it's quite unique to Civ as most other conquering civs have early UUs. If anything it's too strong since tanks are already too good and panzers are a big upgrade.

I won't repeat the whole Germany discussion here, but @pineappledan and I already talked at length about the Panzer and how it had a variety of problems. One of the conclusions was that it wasn't weak my itself (far from it), but that it had thematically almost nothing nodding to the actual German tanks (since all the doctrinal elements are contained within the Autocracy ideology), no synergy with any part of the kit, had a tech unlock that doesn't really make sense historically and is very gamey in a way (since it is only existing to allow the unit to be used a little bit before the end of the game). Plus, its actual strengths as a unit are just overbuffed stats compared to the Tank, which means that in the near future the unit will have to be buffed even more to stay at least a little relevant when the Tank will be nerfed : the power it has currently as a unit (not as a part of the German kit) only comes from the unbalanced state of the post-Industrial warfare meta.

The Landsknecht, being unlocked on the same tech as the Hanse and requiring a lot of production to be produced efficiently during the Medieval era (you can't upgrade your units into Landsknechts without researching Steel), has an actual synergy with the UB (if you want to use your UU for a rush), and can be useful offensively of defensively, thus giving the civ much needed polyvalence on the military side (instead of the all-in offensive power the Panzer offers at the last moment for a civ that have almost nothing else in its kit to support that).

Last edited:
These are small elements that can easily be modified or removed if judged superfluous.

I won't repeat the whole Germany discussion here, but @pineappledan and I already talked at length about the Panzer and how it had a variety of problems. One of the conclusions was that it wasn't weak my itself (far from it), but that it had thematically almost nothing nodding to the actual German tanks (since all the doctrinal elements are contained within the Autocracy ideology), no synergy with any part of the kit, had a tech unlock that doesn't really make sense historically and is very gamey in a way (since it is only existing to allow the unit to be used a little bit before the end of the game). Plus, its actual strengths as a unit are just overbuffed stats compared to the Tank, which means that in the near future the unit will have to be buffed even more to stay at least a little relevant when the Tank will be nerfed : the power it has currently as a unit (not as a part of the German kit) only comes from the unbalanced state of the post-Industrial warfare meta.

The Landsknecht, being unlocked on the same tech as the Hanse and requiring a lot of production to be produced efficiently during the Medieval era (you can't upgrade your units into Landsknechts without researching Steel), has an actual synergy with the UB (if you want to use your UU for a rush), and can be useful offensively of defensively, thus giving the civ much needed polyvalence on the military side (instead of the all-in offensive power the Panzer offers at the last moment for a civ that have almost nothing else in its kit to support that).

If Industrial Era is unbalanced, why would we change any Civs based on a meta imbalance? We could figure out how to balance out the late game first, then decide where the Civs fit within the new meta.

It's literally: Copy the reformation belief "yield gain for passing a proposal" and the enhancer(?) belief "gain influence over all CS for using a GP". That's not new, nor in any way creative.
Neither of those things are true.

Global commandments gives 150:c5gold::c5culture::c5science::c5goldenage: for each WC session, regardless of what was passed/failed. This proposal would scale with resolutions and how you voted relative to them. It also doesn't require you to be the WC host.
There is no enhancer belief that does that. There is a freedom tenet - Arsenal of democracy - that gives 10:c5influence: to all CS on GP expend, but this could be more like 20:c5influence: for each resolution passed. It has nothing to do with great people.
Sure we will be able to do that, sometimes. But does AI will?
(Probably the most important question when civ designing...)
The AI is forced to use all its votes in WC and does often split its votes. It also knows how to vote buy. So the AI is already well-trained to take advantage of these tools and will use them as best they can.
UA - I'm not sure what the reason is for Germany being a diplo orientated civ, maybe very recently they are known for that in the EU but before then I thought they were known for being efficient and doing things mostly on their own.
However from a game balance point of view I think the +3 science and culture would be better if it actually got better when you went from friend to ally. So either +1 of both for friend and +2 both for ally or +2 science for friend and +2 both for ally (all scaling with era.
The UA is specifically tied to Bismarck and his active use of multilateral agreements and congresses to defend German interests and isolate its enemies from uniting against him. Bismarck famously organized several conferences, including the Berlin conference which kicked off the Scramble for Africa. He was the most skilled person at balance of power politics in the past 3 centuries.

Taking a wider view, however, before German unification the German city-states were a varied collection of principalities nominally governed by the Holy Roman Empire. The electoral system in the HRE, the complex religious, financial, and military dealings within and outside the Fatherland, and the various diplomatic breakthroughs which occurred within German territory at that time all make a diplomatic focus pretty apt. I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'll bring it up again here: While Germany formed relatively late as a nation-state in its own right, the very idea of national borders, multilateral diplomacy, and the nation-state itself was conceived on German soil during the Peace of Westphalia, which concluded the 30 Years War. Germany is therefore the birthplace of the modern concept of international diplomacy. You could say that Germany was the first WC host IRL.
UU - I'm sure you are correct about the panzer historically but from a gameplay perspective it actually kinda works. It is late but ballistics is much earlier than combined arms and it can absolutely conquer the entire world for you which feels like what Germany is known for trying to do and it's quite unique to Civ as most other conquering civs have early UUs. If anything it's too strong since tanks are already too good and panzers are a big upgrade.
In the OP, I enumerated several issues with the Panzer, but also more general misgivings about such a late UU unlock, regardless of the specific unit's power or type.

To summarize here: I don't think it's very fun or interactive to have a strong, late UU function more as a Damocles than as an actual unit in its own right, and I would prefer if UUs were out of the way by Modern era so civs can play with the ideology UUs.

Last edited:
To summarize here: I don't think it's very fun or interactive to have a strong UU function more as a Damocles than as an actual unit in its own right, and I would prefer if UUs were out of the way by Modern era so civs can play with the ideology UUs.

Okay fair enough, I think having just Ideology UUs in Modern era onwards could be good.

I have more of an issue with the UA though as it feels a bit gamey and as I mentioned I think the main thing Germany needs is some way of getting a bit of extra influence, preferably from early in the game.
Some more suggestions, Ulfhedin influence from kills becomes UA or you can gift these new Landsknechts for bonus influence.

I have more of an issue with the UA though as it feels a bit gamey and as I mentioned I think the main thing Germany needs is some way of getting a bit of extra influence, preferably from early in the game.
Some more suggestions, Ulfhedin influence from kills becomes UA or you can gift these new Landsknechts for bonus influence.
A thing I wanted to do originally with the Ulfhedinn was give them a unit gifting ability called Druhtiz, which would give some sort of bonus on unit gifting. Either as a lump amount, or a 1:c5influence:per turn amount per unit the CS controls that were gifted by you, capping at the available unit cap for that CS, obviously.
This was scrapped and replaced with +Influence on kill because people didn't like it.

The Druhtiz is the oath-bound retinue of a thane, it survives as the Latin term comitatus, and has analogies in Slavonic (druzhina), Gallic (Ambaxtoi), Scandinavian (Hird/Huskarl) and Frankish (Antrustion) cultures.

This idea got a pretty tepid response when I gave it the previous 2 times. Once for the Ulhedinn design, and when I repurposed it for the design of a Jaeger UU for Germany more recently (one of the alternatives to the Landsknecht)

Last edited:
I really enjoyed playing Germany just because of their insane production capability after getting Hanses up. I'd be fine with the return of Landsknecht but I would keep their power to a modest level, unless either Hanses or the UA were made weaker to compensate (which I wouldn't want for my beloved Hanses!).

Global commandments gives 150:c5gold::c5culture::c5science::c5goldenage: for each WC session, regardless of what was passed/failed.
Global Commandments:
"Receive 150 of these yields instantly when you pass a Proposal."
This proposal would scale with resolutions
This new UA not only takes away the few extra votes Germany can get, no, you also want to decrease the available votes for your own proposals, else you wouldn´t get the yields from the other peoples proposals.
In the end, I will spend all possible votes to my own proposal and one each for the other 2 proposals. (Wow, so exciting......) Iam not only lowering the chance, that my own proposal pass, no, I am also FORCED to piss of other people every time, cause I HAVE TO vote for proposals I normally wouldnt care, only to use my "advantageous" of UA. Sacrificing your own votes and pissing of a lot of people, is that really an advantage?
Arsenal of democracy - that gives 10:c5influence: to all CS on GP expend, but this could be more like 20:c5influence: for each resolution passed. It has nothing to do with great people.
Arsenal of Democracy:
+10 Influence with all known City-States when you expend Great People.
Your UA:
+10 Influence with all known City-States when you pass a resolution.
Looks pretty similar to me.
The UA is specifically tied to Bismarck and his active use of multilateral agreements and congresses to defend German interests and isolate its enemies from uniting against him.
What would have happened, if all his effort to unite Germany and the time after, were not backed by a great military power to win the wars he started? Nothing.
Heavy industrial power, science and innovations, professional warfare, great infrastructure. That is typical german. Not a short 20 year long period out of a 5000 year long history.

There are several other leaders which have nothing to do with their nations UA:
William of Orange from Netherlands was organizing revolts and lead them against spanish armies. But in the game you get gold and culture for luxuries....
Enrico Dandolo from Venice was good in making treaties to stop trade disputes and paid for the 4th crusade, but never annexed any city states.....
Ghandi has lead India into independence, maybe his religion has something to do with his passion, but I am pretty sure, it has nothing to do with food and growth...
Harald Bluetooth from Denmark was born, when the viking raids had already come to an end, and he was more known for beeing a constructor than a pillaging maniac....

There is so many Germany can be, even a Jack-of-all-trades, but dont feel forced to do "something" with diplomacy, cause ther was one man, which excelled in it for a short period or thinking, else are too few diplo civs in the game and simply force Germany into something that didnt fit.
I really enjoyed playing Germany just because of their insane production capability after getting Hanses up. I'd be fine with the return of Landsknecht but I would keep their power to a modest level, unless either Hanses or the UA were made weaker to compensate (which I wouldn't want for my beloved Hanses!).
It is in my eyes really weird, that the industrial power of the united Germany in industrial age, depends on trade with CS from a late medieval trade organisation.....

Last edited:
We already had a long discussion on the panzer and there was a lot of support to keep it. While this UU has some nice ideas, I think we are just tossing away the panzer too quickly because of this automatic notion of “it’s late therefore uninteresting” and “I want late game UUs to only be through ideologies”

why not spend some time to rethink the panzer instead of tossing it.

On realpolitik, I like the concept that your power in the WC has some general bonus to the civ, thst makes sense to me. My concern is around how very swingy this concept is. I think it’s quite difficult to predict how all 3 resolutions will go all the time. So commonly I’m backing my horse with lots of votes, and then I’ll throw 1 vote into each other one…and then it’s more luck on whether I get lots of yields or almost none.

that feels too flimsy to build a core civ component around unless you give the player more information. For example, Germany might always be considered to “have a spy and share an ideology” for the purpose of WC vote information. That would give the Germany player a more informed gameplay experience.

another option would be giving them their bonus based on “vote power”, maybe a bonus for every X vote higher than the average number of civ votes or something

Well because that's not the issue.
There's the obvious issue that panzer doesn't really mean anything, it only means a ww2 era German tank- but even that is wrong because it's unlock is early so it's now WW1.
But for gameplay, it comes based on a decision. If you believe that the ideology UUs should be seperate, and that having a late game UU just doesn't work, then no rework of the panzer will fix it. Meanwhile if you don't believe that, then the panzer is fine and a rework is not needed.
For example, Germany might always be considered to “have a spy and share an ideology” for the purpose of WC vote information. That would give the Germany player a more informed gameplay experience.
That's a good idea, maybe it would have some interesting trigger? Like a DoF but that seems too passive.

That's a good idea, maybe it would have some interesting trigger? Like a DoF but that seems too passive.

ultimately to give Germany enough info to make it a true ability I think you give them the full package right off the bat. Even with that, you still won’t know exactly how to split your votes to make it work

ultimately to give Germany enough info to make it a true ability I think you give them the full package right off the bat. Even with that, you still won’t know exactly how to split your votes to make it work

I actually think that would be a good element to add to the UA. Maybe simply the embassy ? It eliminates civs at war and those denounced by you / denouncing you, but they wouldn't negociate for votes anyway.

That would give something like.

UA - Realpolitik

+4 :c5science: Science for each Friendly CState and +4 :c5culture: Culture for each Ally CState, scaling with Era. Embassies in Capitals allow Vote trading. When successfully helping pass or block a World Congress Resolution, gain :c5science: Science, :c5culture: Culture and :c5influence: Influence with all City-States

In any case, whatever the results of our discussions, the tweak mod will allow people to see the concrete results of all of this before any change is made for base VP, so there still time to test and talk. Don't worry.

Last edited:
I actually think that would be a good element to add to the UA. Maybe simply the embassy ? It eliminates civs at war and those denounced by you / denouncing you, but they wouldn't negociate for votes anyway.

That would give something like.

UA - Realpolitik

+4 :c5science: Science for each Friendly CState and +4 :c5culture: Culture for each Ally CState, scaling with Era. Embassies in Capitals allow Vote trading. When successfully helping pass or block a World Congress Resolution, gain :c5science: Science, :c5culture: Culture and :c5influence: Influence with all City-States

In any case, whatever the results of our discussions, the tweak mod will allow people to see the concrete results of all of this before any change is made for base VP, so there still time to test and talk. Don't worry.
Allowing vote trading is also interesting, but we were talking about knowing how someone will vote. Currently if you share an ideology and have a diplomat with them you know how they will vote possibly, Germany would automatically get half of this.

Iam not only lowering the chance, that my own proposal pass, no, I am also FORCED to piss of other people every time, cause I HAVE TO vote for proposals I normally wouldnt care, only to use my "advantageous" of UA. Sacrificing your own votes and pissing of a lot of people, is that really an advantage?
You're not FORCED to do anything. You can abstain from voting at all if you want.

You get positive diplo bonuses for voting the same as other civs too, but I guess we will just ignore that.
Realpolitik is not about making friends and ingratiating yourself with others, but I guess we will ignore that too.
Arsenal of Democracy:
+10 Influence with all known City-States when you expend Great People.
Your UA:
+10 Influence with all known City-States when you pass a resolution.
Looks pretty similar to me.
Don't foreget CERN gives +100 Influence with all known City-States when you Build it.
Literally unplayable.

I never gave an amount, but I had initially thought 20:c5influence: for each possible resolution, so max of 60:c5influence: for each WC session, was fair. But that's besides the point.

If the amount isn't the issue -- and it never was, because you just made one up -- then you're suggesting that the type of yield reward given existing anywhere else makes this exactly the same. If true, then I guess getting :c5science: for helping pass resolutions is the exact same as Russia's :c5science: on border expansion and Assyria's :c5science:when conquering cities. And those are both traits, not just policies and wonders that are being compared to a trait.
What would have happened, if all his effort to unite Germany and the time after, were not backed by a great military power to win the wars he started? Nothing.
What you're describing is "big stick" or "gunboat" diplomacy, not realpolitik, which is multilateral balance of power diplomacy.

That's fine and all, you could argue that Germany used those tactics, but they aren't the same thing, and emphasizing 1 or the other isn't more or less valid as long as you make a case for it. But you aren't doing that, so I will just going to stop responding to you on this topic.
As @InkAxis said, you can make the Panzer an infantry unit if you think that will help, it doesn't address the core issue of the unit which is that late unlocks are never going to generate more interesting gameplay, either when playing with them or against them, than an earlier unit.
that feels too flimsy to build a core civ component around unless you give the player more information. For example, Germany might always be considered to “have a spy and share an ideology” for the purpose of WC vote information. That would give the Germany player a more informed gameplay experience.
Giving players free tools without having to meet the normal conditions for them undercuts skillfull diplomatic play that would unlock those abilities anyways. I am greatly biased against disabling game mechanics or removing conditions and passing off as a bonus. Giving players less things to do isn't a reward IMO; it's training wheels.

The 2 ideas I have thought about and would tacitly agree to is
  • unlocking vote trading with other civs - This ability is limited by the number of spies on empire, and the general community just hates using spies as diplomats so much, they might resent a civ that relies on vote trading otherwise.
  • Giving Germany +1 WC vote for every 8 City-States in the game for free in the UA - this would guarantee that Germany always starts with 3 votes in the first WC on a standard map -- 1 for each WC proposal. A flat bonus that replaces the scaling 1 vote per 3 allies that exists now. Not flashy, but at least ensures that Germany can potentially get the full rewards from its UA with good voting and without having to also be a religion founder, WC host, or having 2+ CS embassies to start.
Otherwise, there's numerous tactics a human player has at their disposal to get better chances at all 3 votes.
  • You can brute-force the WC with conventional means: Vassalizing other civs, religious authority, investing in more CS Embassies and CS allies than other civs, so you have the votes to dominate other civs' interests.
  • You can use your spies as diplomats to buy other civs' votes in 1 direction or another
  • You can submit "Gadfly" proposals that are universally unpopular, like voting for a dominant religion, or sanctioning the player with the most votes, and siphon WC 'no' votes from other players, and put 1 vote in to defeat your own proposal.
another option would be giving them their bonus based on “vote power”, maybe a bonus for every X vote higher than the average number of civ votes or something
Overcomplicated. I try to avoid weird scaling when it's not needed. The UA would then come down to who has the most votes, which makes Austria an extremely strong counterpick to Germany.
Allowing vote trading is also interesting, but we were talking about knowing how someone will vote.
If you buy their vote, you know how they will vote (they can't vote 'no' on a resolution if they have agreed to vote 'yes').
This is personally my favorite suggestion, because it frees up your very limited spy count for other things.

Last edited:
Btw if you allow vote trading you kinda are getting all the information possible since you can see exactly how much they value for each vote. But it would also work better with the AIs since buying votes is something they can actually do, whereas they can't really look at the WC screen and then use the info there to make decisions on their vote.

Would be cool if there was an interesting trigger for vote trading.
One idea I had was that Germany could trade votes in peace deals. This would allow them to leverage war to get something in the WC. It is also historical with examples like when Bismark turned on Austria and quickly defeated them, but gave them lenient peace terms if they stayed out of German politics. He made peace in exchange for a diplomatic agreement, which is similar to trading votes. With this Germany can not only leverage economic power for WC gain, but military power.
This isn't mutually exclusive with the vote trading on embassy. So it would be "Can trade votes in peace deals and with civs with an embassy"

Would be cool if there was an interesting trigger for vote trading.
One idea I had was that Germany could trade votes in peace deals. This would allow them to leverage war to get something in the WC. It is also historical with examples like when Bismark turned on Austria and quickly defeated them, but gave them lenient peace terms if they stayed out of German politics. He made peace in exchange for a diplomatic agreement, which is similar to trading votes. With this Germany can not only leverage economic power for WC gain, but military power.
This isn't mutually exclusive with the vote trading on embassy. So it would be "Can trade votes in peace deals and with civs with an embassy"
Makes sense. If you allowed vote trading with an embassy then you couldn't get votes from a peace deal, because you need an embassy. If you are concluding a peace deal with a civ you necessarily don't have an embassy with them, since you were at war. You would have to make them separate bonuses, because otherwise you would have to agree to make accepting an embassy part of the peace deal, agree to that, then open up the trade screen again to trade votes. That's fine, but it would be a small QoL thing if you could just trade for votes in the peace deal directly.

Makes sense. If you allowed vote trading with an embassy then you couldn't get votes from a peace deal, because you need an embassy. If you are concluding a peace deal with a civ you necessarily don't have an embassy with them, since you were at war. You would have to make them separate bonuses, because otherwise you would have to agree to make accepting an embassy part of the peace deal, agree to that, then open up the trade screen again to trade votes. That's fine, but it would be a small QoL thing if you could just trade for votes in the peace deal directly.
More than a QoL thing, it also means you don't lose value in wars as you sometimes do when you have high warscore but they have nothing to trade to you.

It does sound pretty complicated though, and a lot of work for whoever would have to code that, because they need to also come up with a war score value for votes for this 1 ability.

It does sound pretty complicated though, and a lot of work for whoever would have to code that, because they need to also come up with a war score value for votes for this 1 ability.
It would just be valued as normal, like with normal trade deals. The AI already knows how to value WC vote trading?
I don't think the value for luxuries/GPT/etc. is different in peace deals.

Top Bottom