1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Started

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by Thalassicus, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

That's a good idea to change helicopters to aluminum, since high-tech aircraft are the only units requiring it now. I'll also remove the resource requirement from rocket artillery.

The numerous small oil deposits are to ensure there's a very low chance of someone having 0 oil in their borders. Changing the 1-size deposits to 2-size means there'd have to be half as many, increasing the chances of not being able to build oil units. Since I increased the number of units that require that resource, a situation where none are available could be very frustrating. Also, I personally find having the same deposit size everywhere less interesting... this way we have 1s and 2s on land, and 4s in water.

Resistance takes 1 turn per population (unchanged from vanilla), so increasing population-from-capture was partially designed to make conquest less of a cakewalk through cities. You do have a good point about food supply though, I'll think about ways to deal with that.

I've never paid much attention to the bottom-right tooltip and had no idea it worked through fog of war! :lol: I used to have a mod that got rid of that tooltip... wonder where it went to... :shifty:

Did you try going down the Autocracy tree? I haven't gotten a game to the modern era yet at all (so busy with UI stuff lately) so I'm wondering how much the +100% strategic resource bonus helps.

On a side note, I have some balance adjustments of ships planned. I think most people feel battleships aren't particularly worth it over destroyers, for example, and should be better to earn that resource requirement.

2. black213

black213 Emperor

Liberty tree's Citizenship doesn't work on the beta version.

3. Thalassicus

Easy to miss, it got buried on the last page! :lol:

I've put it on the front page above the download now. :)

4. SSgtDuke

SSgtDuke Chieftain

Thanks for the explanation about oil, it sounds reasonable. And when rocket artillery and helicopter gunships don't require oil I think it will be about right.

Yeah, I like the increased remaining population and resistance time for most cities (usually in the mid-teens or less). It was just the huge capital with 20-some population (and resistance turns) starving down to the low teens that was a bit odd. Dropping the population and the resistance turns down to what the food can support (low/mid-teens probably) would make it reasonable like other cities.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's something in the mod that adds the unit names. I don't believe they're there in vanilla, just the terrain info.

I only opened the tree to get the unit maintenance reduction because I had a decent sized military towards the end. Doubling the SRs could certainly help, but if I remember correctly that's buried down the tree a few policies deep and I've never had the significant need to go for it.

I think they should be a little faster or more powerful, but not both. Maybe could start with the Supply promotion. In addition to being able to heal outside friendly territory, that would give them an additional movement point which could be all they need for balance.

5. Txurce

Txurce Deity

The changes from .06 to .07 look very inviting - I can't wait to try them. Looking at some out of context, I could almost imagine potentially building something making me choose a small empire over a large. The tail wagging the dog like that is unlikely to happen when actually playing, but the notion that it might is certainly a compliment to the NW and cultural buildings' buffs.

SSgtDuke had a lot of good ideas that I hadn't played far enough into the Modern Era to consider. The solutions you already arrived at are what i would have done as well. Keeping capitals painful to swallow won't often deter someone from going after them, so the existing penalty seems fair to me. I did encounter the single-oil deposits and thought they made sense, given the earlier explanation. As for battleships, I've always thought that what they need is a big boost in their combat factor, making them slower, hard to kill killers.

6. bigfatjonny

bigfatjonny Warlord

Sorry, not sure if this is the best place to post this but I cant find it anywhere else.

When ever i do a GPT deal to another civ where I should get + :gold:, I don't get any benefit because it appears on the finance screen in both the income and expenditure column.
    Is this a know bug? I have had it in a few games now, but Ive only been using BalanceCombined to I don't know if it is the mod or the game.

Any ideas?

7. Thalassicus

This is very helpful info to help me balance the tree, thank you. I don't want to make the double resource policy too easy to get or it'd make resources over-abundant again, so I think what I'll do instead is buff the policies around it, making it a little more desirable to go deep in the tree.,

Are you saying when you trade a luxury for gold per turn, you're not receiving any actual gold? I honestly haven't ever looked at the finance screen, but since gpt trades seem to be working properly in my games I'd suspect it's some display error with the game's finance window. I haven't touched that part of the UI, but I will take a look and see if there's anything I can do. :)

=================

All building civilopedia entries should be much more helpful now, showing almost all information related to each building or wonder. I also adjusted several national wonders:

• National College
      Moved to Philosophy.
    • Agra Fort
      20% cost per city (was 10%)
    • National Epic
      50%:c5greatperson: (was 25%)
      1:c5culture: per population
      Requires Temples (was Monuments)
    • National Treasury
      1:c5gold: per population
    • Oxford University
      -40%:c5production: cost
      30% cost per city (was 10%)
      1:c5science: per population

8. Kirschi

Kirschi ~~~

Hi!
    Currently testing beta 2.0.8 and having a few issues. (I should note, that I additionally use those newest-version mods that you used in previous packages (civwillard, wwgd, r.e.d., hoverinfo, infoaddict, japanese names, barbarians and trading post)).

Sounds good, but I just see the basic info, like production cost, but not the additional infos. Like those you see on Wonders, or what tile improvements you get. Seems like the little-typo-game-ignores-file error ^^

Next I do not get Food from Maritime CS. Instead it is added as culture bonus (as if they were Cultured CS).

And last but not least my GSs do not want to work as they should. They should provide Research bonus depending on era and so on, but it shows in the tooltip that they will give me "NaN" science. Experimentally testing, they really give me no science bonus.

EDIT: You seemingly decreased the excess gold from the previous versions. Now all of the AI players do not have a lot of gold or gpt. I got just one RA in classical era and that was the only one in the whole game. When I traded something with them i saw that most of them didn't get more than 200-300 gold and the gpt was often in the red.
    Gameinfo: Persia, Highlands, Small (6 Players), King, Standard Pace.

9. doktorstick

doktorstick Warlord

I posted earlier in this thread about the same thing. I was running .05 or .06 (I don't recall off the top of my head).

I wondered if the RAs would be hit by the decreased gold and increased RA amount from several revs back... sounds like they did. Did you see if the AIs were doing RAs between each other?

10. ren_

ren_ Chieftain

Downloaded the beta version and am using up to date versions of all the other add-ons. I am not getting the unit part of the UI, making it impossible to promote my units and thus end my turn. I tried both DX9 and DX10 and the issue persists. I tried disabling your mod (while the others were still enabled) and the box came back.

11. Kirschi

Kirschi ~~~

Yea sorry didn't see. After not beeing here for two days, there was too much to read ;) Maybe there should be a thread just for bugs. But probably good to point out that this is still there in beta 08.

Yes, as I said before, it was the only RA in the whole game. As I am stockpiling my gold most of the time, there was just one other AI player at the time we got RA tech who too had enough money...

12. Mentos

Mentos Prince

Using the v2.0.08 beta with the Tips.zip:

- National Epic's tooltip shows an entry: TXT_KEY_PRODUCTION_BUILDING_CULTURE_PER_POP

13. doktorstick

doktorstick Warlord

Heh, my point in posting about the bug is that it has existed for a few revs to help Thal narrow it down. And I failed in reading comprehension. I missed the "and that was the only one in the whole game". :blush:

14. Thalassicus

Thank you for reminding me of the great scientist error, it was a simple issue of load order. I moved the file that adds the FreeBeakers attribute to units up to first priority and things seem to be working now. I uploaded the fix in .10 beta, this is what you should see now:

Try out .10 beta, I might have fixed these issues. If you're still experiencing the problems, could you describe them further - are they on these screens?

Did you have Liberation Boost active? That mod and Seek's mod (included in this package) both alter the unit panel, so using both isn't possible. We're trying to get permission to include Liberation Boost in this package so this can be fixed.

This might be fixed in .10; if not, could you clarify a bit more what you mean by "tips.zip"? Is the problem you're seeing here:

Attached Files:

15. Thalassicus

(double post)

16. SuicideMW

SuicideMW Chieftain

Great modpack. It really makes the game that much better to play.

I did, however, discover a bug that I didn't see anyone mention here, though I may be mistaken.

When you have the social policy Patronage activated with Educated Elite, which city-states give you a Great Person on occasion, I noticed all three times I obtained one from them, it had the icon for a Great Artist, except there was no name or description given. It was basically a ghost unit that did nothing but able to move around.

Also, is there an option with the mod already that gives information when you hover your mouse over a unit? I tried using this one mod that allowed me to see how many more turns my workers needed to improve a tile, but it doesn't work with your mod. Any chance of incorporating something like that?

Other than that, fantastic mod and I can't wait to see what new additions and improvements you bring to it. Keep up the excellent work!

17. Thalassicus

Oooh thank you for mentioning that, I hadn't considered that possibility. That's actually the 'dummy' unit I created to work around a vanilla game bug with strategic resources. I put it in the great person category because I didn't think that would be an issue, but didn't realize the game would pick it as a random great person. I'll try and figure out a different place to move this unit.

On the topic of worker info, setting "map info delay" in Game Options to 0 should display this:

Attached Files:

18. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Excellent work, Thal!

I will give the new version a go tonight.

19. SuicideMW

SuicideMW Chieftain

Thanks, that's even better than the hover tool tip mod.

There was also one other bug I noticed when I played last night:

Under Liberty, when you select Citizenship, you net two new Workers. I noticed later on, when you select Autocracy, disabling Liberty, two new Workers spawn. Thought you'd like to know that as that could be something exploitable by people. I didn't check what would happen if you went back to Liberty after choosing Autocracy.

20. Thalassicus

Oh wait, that is the mod, named "Hover Info." I've had it enabled since September so I forgot it's not part of the basic game. :lol:

I'm thinking about including it in the unofficial patch so I can fix the worker turns bug, where workers say 1 turn left for both of the last 2 turns.

Thank you for pointing out the policy error, I was missing the OneShot="true" stat for the policy.