Giant Death Robots With Atomic Bombs

Update #3: Turns 40 - 80 (200 AD)
I have continued to make all decisions as King Lancelot’s dynasty would have done, and it has really paid off. It’s already 200 AD, and so far there has not been a single difference between this game and actual historical events as far as I can tell (and I have had the finest education in international affairs that American schools have to offer).

●●●●●The Iron Rush●●●●●
Iron deposits have been discovered! Just as American iron is far superior to other iron in modern times, Swedish iron seems to have been highly prized in Classical Africa. Production and income increased noticeably when the citizens of Camelot discovered two iron deposits near the city, which together were capable of producing a total eight meters of iron per turn! ((Personal Rant: Why does this game insist on using the metric system to measure strategic resources? It would be so much easier if it just used normal American measurements like everybody else.)) Well, I arranged to sell five meters of iron to my friends the Iroquois, and three meters of iron to my enemies the Moroccans. My hope is that the Moroccans will build units that require iron; then when I declare war, their strategic resource penalty will enable my armies to crush them with ease!
Spoiler :

●●●●●If It Is To Be War, Morocco, Then So Be It●●●●●
Shortly thereafter, a number of related events happened: 1) my civilization entered its first Golden Age, 2) I selected the “Honor” social policy, and 3) Camelot produced many units of composite bowmen. This combination of events is clearly the game’s representation of historical Sweden’s own first golden age, during which time the Swedish King Lancelot created the Knights of the Round Table in order to conquer his enemies. These heroic knights, who if I recall correctly excelled at archery and had a propensity to rob from the rich and give to the poor, would form the backbone of my armed forces.

I have never been one to shy away from my place in history, so I ordered my armies to lay siege to the Moroccan city of Rabat. My brave knights fired many arrows from their composite bows, and after only two turns, they were successful.
Spoiler :

After the liberation of Rabat, I ordered the Knights of the Round Table to capture the Moroccan capital of Marrakesh. Unfortunately, the jungles of Central Africa were what modern historians presumably refer to as “Swedish Vietnam.” My heroic Knights of the Round Table got bogged down in the quagmire and were eventually forced to retreat.
Spoiler :

●●●●●Appeasing the Iroquois with Blood●●●●●
The Iroquois, my only friends, began massing troops on my northern border while I waged war in the south. I suspected that treachery was imminent. Fortunately, their High Priest Hiawatha was merely staging a show of force outside my borders before asking me to join him on a crusade against Pocatello the Great of the Shoshone. I had little choice but to accept, though I did ask for a ten turn delay in hopes of removing myself from my southern wars beforehand.
Spoiler :

●●●●●The Second Moroccan Surge: Rematch of Champions●●●●●
I realized that to take the Moroccan capital I needed to attack from within China’s borders, which meant that I needed to lay siege to China. The resulting war was quick and brutal. My heroic knights liberated the people of Beijing, but Her Holiness Wu Zetien escaped to a secret, undiscovered Chinese city to lick her wounds and plot her revenge.
Spoiler :

This brings us to the current turn. The joint crusade with the Iroquois activated this turn, which means that I am now at war with ever other civilization on the African continent except the Iroquois. With the route to Marrakesh now open, I have informed my generals that their first priority is to bring the Moroccan Sultan to justice. The terrain favors Morocco and he has swordsmen in the field, but I know that history is on my side.

Additional Notes - Responses to the Community

Thanks! I have started reading the "Into the Future" thread that you just ended and I've been enjoying it so far. I plan to borrow your technique of taking more active, battle-in-progress screen shots, as they look very cool.

This is AWESOME! I can't wait for more!

Now I need to go back and read your Diety game!
Thank you very much! This is an especially high complement coming from you.

Additional Notes - Responses to the Community

Thanks! I have started reading the "Into the Future" thread that you just ended and I've been enjoying it so far. I plan to borrow your technique of taking more active, battle-in-progress screen shots, as they look very cool.
I'm all for the screen shots but not at the expense of the narrative. I agree that battle in progress screens are cool but the narrative your spinning is what's going to keep me coming back for more

I'm all for the screen shots but not at the expense of the narrative. I agree that battle in progress screens are cool but the narrative your spinning is what's going to keep me coming back for more

Agreed, the narrative is the most important element of this thread and needs to take top priority.

On a more general note, I've been very impressed by the effectiveness of mass composite bowmen. I had usually relied on catapults + mixed units in the past, and that wasn't nearly as effective. I hope that I can secure most of Africa before they become ineffective.

Yes looks like somebody misinformed you about your military skills, you are doing a good job of helping backwards "nations" join the United states of Camelot. I shudder at even using the term nations, since it is apparent they are all Camelotians at heart, just temporarily under the spell of usurpers and charlatans.

The effectivness of a CB rush is actually one of the things that bugs me and I am sure a lot of people about Civ5. It is just that good that unless you have crazy UUs like Huns or Arabs, nothing else comes close. Keep up the good work and as hair says don't skimp on narrative.

This is a great and enjoyable read! Keep up the good work!

Out of curiosity, what setting did you pick for resources? I don't remember seeing what it was in your introductory comments. I can't believe the variety of luxuries you have at Camelot!

This is a great and enjoyable read! Keep up the good work!

Out of curiosity, what setting did you pick for resources? I don't remember seeing what it was in your introductory comments. I can't believe the variety of luxuries you have at Camelot!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you are enjoying it!

I almost never modify the resources so it should be on standard, but I will confirm when I get home. I assume that the abundant resources comes naturally on the standard Earth map?

EDIT: I have confirmed that the map is standard resources, standard size Earth.

how do you begin such a flawless conquest so fast???

Wow, you are working over the AI. Great work.

Love the theme and style. Can't wait for the fall of Morocco. They deserve it for being not Camelot.

Update #4 (Part 1 of 2): Responses to the Community
how do you begin such a flawless conquest so fast???
Well, I need to give credit where credit is due. First, this game is on Quick Speed, so the conquest occurs at an earlier turn than it would on Standard Speed. I’m on turn 85 right now, so equivalent turn on Standard might be closer to, I don’t know, between 100 to 120? If anyone has a better guess, please help me out. Second, this is a standard map with 22 civilizations, so everyone is much closer together than normal. There is less marching time to get from one enemy civilization to another.

The actual execution was done by building two spearmen and four composite bowmen, and then maybe three or four more composite bowmen while the attacks were launched. I can’t take credit for the strategy; Maxym is the one who told me to do this on a prior thread. To quote his words “The effectivness of a (Composite Bowmen) rush is actually one of the things that bugs me and I am sure a lot of people about Civ5. It is just that good that unless you have crazy UUs like Huns or Arabs, nothing else comes close.”

All that aside, I am pretty proud of my military performance so far this game.

Wow, you are working over the AI. Great work.

Love the theme and style. Can't wait for the fall of Morocco. They deserve it for being not Camelot.
Thanks! And yes, Morocco needs to fall quickly. When I think of all those oppressed, non-Camelot people, I’m just glad that we’ve embarked on this humanitarian mission to free them.

Yes looks like somebody misinformed you about your military skills, you are doing a good job of helping backwards "nations" join the United states of Camelot.
Thanks! To give credit where credit is due, the only reason I built Composite Bowmen in the first place is because that’s what you recommended last game to deal with Nottingham (the city that was four squares for Venice). But with that said, I really do feel good about my military performance this game. I feel like I made good decisions about how to surround cities with bowmen for maximum damage per turn, which units to target, when to attack, and when to cut my losses and retreat, etc..

I shudder at even using the term nations, since it is apparent they are all Camelotians at heart, just temporarily under the spell of usurpers and charlatans.
That’s exactly it! We, the noble Swedish knights, are the good guys fighting on the side of liberty and justice. This is to protect all of those poor, poor people who cannot protect themselves.

The effectivness of a CB rush is actually one of the things that bugs me and I am sure a lot of people about Civ5. It is just that good that unless you have crazy UUs like Huns or Arabs, nothing else comes close.
I believe it. This is by far the most successful early war I’ve had since the first few patches came out for Vanilla.

Keep up the good work and as hair says don't skimp on narrative.
1) Thanks! and 2) I agree that the narrative needs to be my top priority and that event documentation and chronology should be secondary at best. I’ll work on making sure that future updates reflect that.

Update #4 (Part 2 of 2): Turns 80 to 82 (260 AD)

●●●●●South-Central Africa: The Moroccan Empire●●●●●
And so the heroic Swedish knights marched once more against the vile Moroccan alchemist-lords, this time under the command of the newly crowned King Lancelot LXXI, the Paladin-King. As honorable as a US Supreme Court justice, as powerful a B-17 bomber, King Lancelot the LXXI represented the very best that Sweden had to offer: truth, justice, and the closest Swedish equivalent to the American way. When the young king heard of the suffering of the poor Moroccan populace he was moved to tears, and vowed to free them from the tyranny of their ruthless alchemist-lords and bitter, unsweeted coffee. “Assemble my bravest and strongest knights,” he had commanded less than a month ago, “for we march upon Morocco at dawn!”

The king’s advisors had tried to warn the young leader that one does not simply walk into Morocco, recalling Sweden’s last failed attempt at doing exactly that, but the pure-hearted King Lancelot LXXI would hear none of it. The greatest battle in Sweden’s young history was about to begin.

The black hearted Moroccan Kasbah-dwelling alchemist-lords were as crafty as they were vile, with all the benefits of their evil science and foul jungle herbalism at their disposal. Complex war machines (“catapults”) assaulted us with alchemical projectiles of fire and smoke, projectiles which my terrified soldiers dubbed “Genie Fire.” Burly Moroccan brutes effortlessly sliced my soldier’s bronze armor with blades somehow forged from raw iron itself (“Swordsmen”). But end the day, my knights had something that Moroccan alchemists couldn’t transmute from lead: courage and honor. And also composite bows and lots and lots of arrows.

As Marrakech fell and the last corrupt alchemist-lord was brought to justice, the relieved Moroccan populace greeted us as liberators. Well, greeted us as liberators after respectfully observing the customary four turns of rebellion, of course.
Spoiler :

●●●●●West-African Coast: The Minor Nation of Sydney●●●●●
The King Lancelot LXXI’s younger brother also distinguished himself handsomely during the liberation of Marrakech, both by slaying some four score enemies soldiers and by coining memorable phrases such as “Knowing is half the battle!” (1st Great General received). The citizens of the small nation of Sydney were extremely impressed by the stories of the king’s brother, but the Lord of Sydney grew jealous and refused an alliance (City State Quest: +40 influence for producing a Great General, but total influence was still under 60).

Determined to win the support of Sydney for his people, the younger brother traveled to city hall and confronted the hostile lord directly (Sydney is a hostile city state). “I have a challenge for you,” the young Swedish royal said. “If I can conquer more land in a single day than you have conquered in your entire life, you will agree to a permanent alliance with Sweden. If not, my life is yours.”

The jealous lord of Sydney agreed, for his conquests were many and his victory seemed certain. But the young Swede returned the following day with notarized legal document and a wide smile across his face. “I have legally changed my name to ‘Montgomery’” the young man said. “I have claimed a street in almost every city, a public school in almost every region, and a county at least a dozen provinces.” (Seriously, try doing a Google search of “Montgomery” : this statement is, as far as I can tell, more or less accurate). The lord of Sydney had no choice but to admit defeat, and Sydney has been a close ally of Sweden ever since (+90 influence for sending Great Person to the city-state).
Spoiler :

●●●●●Other Events●●●●●
Note: Some items on the list were completed a few turns before Turn 80, but are included here for convenience/completion:
  • The National College & a new Cargo Ship were completed.
  • I chose Patronage as my new social policy. The primary alternatives were either finishing tradition (2 policies) or Warrior Caste (Honor Level One: Provides a free Great General, which would become free 90 influence when gifted to a city-state)
  • The Ottomans discovered us. They come from somewhere in Northern Europe.
  • I pledged to protect both city-states that I have met.
  • Morocco has been completely destroyed, and China’s last city has been discovered in Southern Africa.
  • Many (most?) other civs have entered the medieval era and some have been in it for a while. I have not entered it yet, but I think that I am in a good position to catch up.

The continent of Africa as it stands today, 260 AD:

How are you keeping your happiness and income up with so much conquering this early with no religion? Congrats on the military victories though. I can't wait until you find actual America, assuming he's in this game. I think it's time to betray the Shoshone leaders to liberate the people. You clearly don't have enough sugar in your empire.

How are you keeping your happiness and income up with so much conquering this early with no religion? Congrats on the military victories though. I can't wait until you find actual America, assuming he's in this game. I think it's time to betray the Shoshone leaders to liberate the people. You clearly don't have enough sugar in your empire.

Excellent question - happiness has been no problem because of all the luxury resourses scattered around africa on the standard size Earth map. Gold come partially from two trade routes with the Iroquois and partially from selling excess iron/luxuries to other civs, but mostly from cities working gold-producing luxury tiles.

I also can't wait to find real America. I wish I had forced him to be one of the AI civs.

I absolutely agree that Shoshone need to be liberated ASAP, and I'm worried about Hiawatha taking the Shoshone city that links Africa to Europe and Asia before I do. At the same time, my entire army is in South Africa and I have the opportunity to finish off the Chinese while I'm here if I delay 5 - 10 more turns. I'm honestly not sure what to do here, but I'm leaning towards sparing the Chinese and gunning for the Shoshone now.

I am technically at war with both China and Shoshone right now. Hiawatha is at war with the Shoshone but not China.

Good story so far. Keep it up!

niceeee

Update #5: Turns 83 – 112 (1040 AD)

●●●●●Southern Africa●●●●●
-Land of the Chinese Empire-

Many years passed. King Lancelot’s son, Prince Lancelot, became king at a pivotal moment in Sweden’s history. New technologies were making the feared Swedish composite bow less and less relevant. Now the untested leader would be forced to make a difficult decision that would shape the strategic direction of the United States of Sweden for many years to come. Should the Knights march south to secure southern Africa against a potential Chinese resurgence, or march north to confront the vastly superior Shoshone military?

“Tomorrow, we march against the Chinese Celestial Empress,” the new King Lancelot declared in speech that would be memorized by Swedish school children for many generations to come. “We cannot forgive the Chinese for stealing our good Swedish jobs. We cannot forgive them for their unfair trade practices, which we do not really understand but still have very strong opinions about. And most of all, we can never forgive the Chinese for Pearl Harbor.”

“Also,” the king added, “You have to admit that it would be nice if we never had repay our Swedish national debt to China.”

The siege of Shanghai lasted for many winters, complicated by rough terrain, narrow mountain passes, and innovative Chinese fortifications that my knights had never encountered before (“Walls”). We eventually stormed the battlements, and during the battle the Chinese garrison hurled traditional Chinese insults at us such as “Why are you doing this” and “We were ‘Friendly’ before you attacked us!” Soon the city was liberated and all of Southern and Central Africa were secure.
Spoiler :

●●●●●The Outerworld●●●●●
-Unexplored Lands Beyond Africa-

Explorers from far beyond the shores of Africa have journeyed to the court of Camelot in search of fame, fortune, and – in the case of one explorer – to study the local chimpanzees. They plied King Lancelot with words of “equal partnership” and “mutual gain,” but he could see the greed in their eyes as they gazed upon Africa’s natural wealth. One of these explorers, Sir Francis Blkbltchemie, could not believe the variety of resources around Camelot and proceeded to discuss “map settings” with his cartographer long into the night.

The four Imperialist Powers – Polynesia, the Netherlands, Germany, and the Ottomans – filled good king Lancelot’s heart with a sense of foreboding. So say his diaries, or maybe a history book of some sort or something else vaguely factual, because as you recall this thread is a formal review of non-American history with no room for conjecture. The king knew that there would no doubt come a day when the powers would drop all pretense of cooperation and attempt to seize Africa’s wealth directly. It was only a matter of time.

●●●●●Northern Africa●●●●●
- Lands of the Shoshone and the Iroquois-

That time would come sooner than anyone expected.

The Iroquois had been good friends of the Swedish people for millennia. They would bring beaver pelts and simple handicrafts to Camelot along two different trade routes and exchange them for weapons and fine IKEA furniture. Their warriors styled their hair into bright red mohawks to display their fearsome battle prowess and music genre preferences, and were easily the highest strength combatants in all of Africa.

With great skill came great pride, and this played into the hands of the Machiavellian foreign powers. A villinous and mysterious foreign diplomat whispered sweet flattery into the ear of the Iroquois chieftain, convincing him of his greatness and glorious destiny. Little by little, the once mighty chieftain fell under her sway, all the while convinced that his actions were his own.

First, the Great Chief marched a sizable army to the borders of Sweden and demanded that King Lancelot join him in a crusade against the Shoshone. King Lancelot agreed, with good reason: the Shoshone were filthy communists that refused to acknowledge private ownership of land. Then, only a few turns later, the Iroquois Great Chief backstabbed the honorable Swedish people. “The Swedes cannot be trusted,” he warned the other world leaders, “and their famous IKEA furniture is actually just cheap particleboard that will fall apart during transport if you ever need to move out of your apartment."
Spoiler :
One turn before this, he was Friendly with only one red diplomacy modifier.

Soon, hordes of Iroquois warriors massed on Sweden’s borders in obvious preparation for invasion. The entire continent plunged into distrust and war. United we stand, divided we fall.
Spoiler :

King Lancelot had no choice but to request the assistance of Germany and the Ottoman empire before the Great Chief formally declared war. Both agreed to attempt to conquer the Iroquios for a surprisingly low price. Everything was proceeding as the evil diplomat-puppetmaster had planned – for she knew that once a conqueror is invited into your lands, it is not easy to convince him to leave again.

In desperation, King Lancelot order the construction of a magnificent Oracle. The High Priestess showed each African leader a vision of the future of foreign subjection that awaited them if they continued to weaken each other with pointless war.
Spoiler :

It worked, to some extent. The African nations (Sweden, the Shoshone, and the Iroquois) are at peace with each other once again. The Shoshone even agreed to send a fleet of treasure ships overflowing gold and precious gems to Camelot (“1400 gold + 40 gp/turn Peace Deal”) in exchange for allowing their land to remain free. But the seeds of hatred and discord have been sown between the nations of Africa and can never be erased. The Dark Continent is permanently divided and is ready for the next phase of the Imperialist foreigner’s plans.

●●●●●Other Notes●●●●●
• I entered the medieval era with Civil Service. Then I grabbed Engineering (only three turns), then Theology and Education.
• Most cities have been annexed and a courthouse has been bought. I have bought a university in most cities.
• Camelot completed the Writer’s Guild.
• Camelot also shifted focus somewhat to maritime pursuits, building two work boats for its two whales, one workboat for Shanghai’s fish, two triremes, and another Cargo Ship (for Shanghai to send it food). I had no coastal cities other than Camelot until Shanghai fell, so growing the capital was proving challenging.
• Two unmet players have lost their capitals in addition to the two capitals that I have taken.
• I took “Consulates” social policy and “Warrior Code” social policy.
• I received a spy on turn 102 when someone entered the Renaissance and sent it to the Iroquois capital.
• Two of the “Foreign Imperialist Powers” (Polynesia and the Netherlands) offered me Declarations of Friendship on the last few turns of this update, even though they still have bright red negative diplomatic modifiers.

The continent of Africa as it stands today, 1040 AD

Nice peace deal with the Shoshone! Sometimes I think that's the best purpose of war in BNW, to gain cities one at a time through peace, and to fill up your income when other civs send you money. I feel like you're in a pretty good position right now, even if your science may not be at the top yet.

On a side note, how did that Shoshone catapult and warrior get to the right of Marraekech? They're kind of far away from home.

Indeed.

Nice peace deal with the Shoshone! Sometimes I think that's the best purpose of war in BNW, to gain cities one at a time through peace, and to fill up your income when other civs send you money. I feel like you're in a pretty good position right now, even if your science may not be at the top yet.

On a side note, how did that Shoshone catapult and warrior get to the right of Marraekech? They're kind of far away from home.

I agree about the Shoshone peace deal; I was extremely pleasantly surprised by the terms. I was also quite happy in my Deity game with Morocco's bribe to stop attacking him. As you said, war can be quite profitable.

The Shoshone are sending that warrior and catapult to the island of Madagascar, which is slightly out of the picture's area. I can only see one square of the island, but I think they have a city there.

Good work so far, but finishing tradition is too strong to pass up, a free GG is not of comparable benefit even for Sweden.

Did Hiawatha attack you at all or did you diplomatic maneuvers forestall that invasion. I would have let them attack to clear some units and maybe grab the cap. Your CBs are not well positioned for defense btw, The two western most ones should be one tile further behind river, you want them to cross the river on first turn to get into cap range and be open to your counterattack.
But who am I to say, you are doing much better then me in my current game.

But with lots of trade routes between you it might have been better to avoid war for now, XB will make short work of those red headed punks if out forest and given the current shortage of forest in Sahara, that should not be to hard to pull off.

Top Bottom