GK2- The Training Day Experiment

Originally posted by Gengis Khan
I think we scared away like 30 people when the word Monarchy came out. New players don't realize that once you make a few subtle changes to your playing style, improve your opening game, and learn to effectively trade Monarchy doesn't play any different then Warlord. You're still the tech leader, the pace just moves faster.

This is so very true. When I jumped to Regent, it took me a while to figure out that trading kept me in the race. I would catch up by the mid to late middle ages, and then it was a no brainer from there.

When I jumped to Monarch, I pushed myself to explore with less units, create more settlers, and trade trade trade. Now, even with less 'scouts', I'm getting tech parity by the late ancient/early middle ages.

The thing that EVERY civ player has to realize is that things are going on around you. Be aware! The trade screen in the early rounds is vital even more so as YOU step up. Yes, it takes time as you visualize you ultimate domination but it has to be done. Every turn. You must know what the other civs are doing. It givs clues as to where the other civs are, to boot. Play on and good learning.

Originally posted by Gengis Khan
Since we'll be using "vanilla" civ, all PTW & C3C civs are out.

This leaves:
Japan- Rel/Mil Samurai
India- Rel/Comm War Elephant
Egypt- Rel/Ind War Chariot
Babylon- Rel/Sci Bowman
Iroquis- Rel/Exp Mounted Warrior -1 vote

IMVHO

I would definitely go for an ancient UU so that the AA GA conundrum is addressed.

I would avoid industrious as failing to build workers doesn't hurt enough.

Hi
Would you be able to point me in the direction of the page that has what the abbreviations mean please? I can't seem to find it again. I don't know what you guys are talking about sometimes.

I'm going to buy PTW and Conquests tomorrow - hey at least I have an excuse now.

Are the Aztecs good to be? Can I be the Aztecs? If not I can be random - I don't care I just want to be able to learn! Maybe you should know I've only been playing this game for about a week now.

the pace just moves faster

The pace is plenty fast for those of us on Chieftan sometimes.

Max - This isn't a multi-player game in the sense that each player get's a different civ. All of you will be playing the same game, taking turns. I think GK or someone said 10 turns per player, which means when it's your turn, you d/l the save, play 10 turns, and u/l the save so the next player can play their 10 turns.

Also, you can find abbreviations listed in the Civ 3 General Discussions FAQ found in the Civ3 - GD subforum. It's stickied.

I'm really sorry. :blush:

IMVHO = In my very humble opinion.

UU = unique unit - the one that starts a Golden age.

GA = Golden Age

AA= Ancient Age
MA= Middle age
IA= Industria age

The full acronym list is >>here<<

either Japan or Iroqouis. I would either like a militaristic civ (cheap military buildings & better chance at leaders, & samurai are great-don't need horses IIRC) or an expansionistic civ (scouts that can pilage GH's w/out fear of barbs & hopefully increase tech race).

I have played Japan before and had one of my best games ever on PTW (won w/ space race if I remember right) on regent.

I have never played the Iroqouis before and would like to learn how to use the different traits better.

maxverve: Here's possibly the best advice you'll hear all week. Don't waste your money on PTW, Conquest include almost everything in PTW and then a ton more. Just buy Conquests & you'll be fine.

Looks like we'll be starting off with the Iroquis. I still have a few things planned before we actually kick off the game though.:)

And you get PTW with Conquest for free, because its included. So both expansions for the price of one ;) (at least in the european version...)

I have two pretty identical maps for either pre-C3C or C3C. The C3C one is a little better however and I've played it as Babylon to 10BC. But take your pick.

It sounds like we have

Shoguntaka - Iro
Solarknight - Iro
Infoman - Iro or Japan
maxverve - undecided.

So mad-bax - if you would be so kind to place Hiawatha on the start of your [civ3] map and post it along with a screenshot of the start, we would be greatly indebted.

@ the students - When mad-bax posts the save and the start screenie, I would like each of you to tell us where you will move your worker, your scout and your settler and why.

Sorry, yes we are. That's what the [civ3] symbol means. I should have explained that.

Since maxverve is on 1.29, that's what we'll go with. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you can learn the basics on 1.29, the concepts will carry over to PTW and C3C.

THE START POSITION

>>THE GAME<<

The map is randomly generated with the parameters set in the first post. The playable start position has been modified and your opponents were selected by me.

Interesting. Well, I know what I'd do. I'll reserver comment for later, to see how it matches up.

Did somebody mention Settler Factory? :D

Good luck to all.

Ted

Send the scout SW on hill to see as far as possible. Send the worker N to BG square. More than likely, depending on what the scout & worker uncovers, the settler will found a city right where it is. It is on a river, added commerce & do not need an aquaduct, and has a fair amount of shields & food around.

I would then start a warrior for MP and then build 2 or 3 more scouts. I would start on Pottery at highest rate that still caused an increase in gold.

Please feel free to comment or critique.

I would send the scout onto the mountain in the north so it can see as far as possible, it can get there in one move.

The worker would go to the BG square to the north to build a mine.

I would settle on the spot it stands on to maximise commerce and as it is fresh water, it will grow to size 12 unhindered.

I would then start building a scout as this would enable us to find the huts faster, in the expansionist games i have played on conquests i usually build up to 4 scouts.

We wouldn't need to start max sci on pottery as expansionists start with pottery and as we are religious the other starting tech will be ceremonial Burial, so my max research would be Bronze working for defence or begin the Beeline to monarchy.

As this is monarch difficulty though we will probably be best off trading or getting techs from huts to get up to monarchy as the AI will probably out research us.

Top Bottom