Gods and Kings is Great!

manu-fan

Emperor
Hi,

Just purchased over the weekend, and have played William of Orange up to about 1700 so far. I've eliminated my two closest neighbors, but only after a struggle.

Combat is refreshingly different. I started attacking one of Pacal's cities, but was beaten back by ranged, and had to alter my approach because of the terrain. I went over water to capture another city, and then attack from the open south. It was really a struggle. My cannons then made mincemeat of Spain's cities, and now I'm headed for Siam, who is the last enemy on my Continent.

Faith and Religion are really fun. I was only third to get a Pantheon, after getting friendly with the Vatican, and not realizing the power of early Shrines. Now, my Christianity is spreading like wildfire, and choosing the +1 happiness per city with Christianity is really paying off.

Only just dabbled with Espionage and had my Spy rig an election. Now I'm sending him back to my Capital to try to intercept enemy spies.

The upgrade path for units is now seamless and makes great sense now. Upgraded all my Longswordsmen to Musketmen, and it was great to be actually able to upgrade a Trireme to a Caravel.

Elizabeth is somewhere off in the World, and is actually keeping up with my tech progress. On the latest survey, we both had 38. I would easily have outstripped my opponents by this stage in the base version.

I'm a casual player, and I only play on Warlord, but this expansion is really great IMHO.

Cheers.

Sounds good.I'm hoping to get this expansion sometime...

Let me just add that Naval combat has also been significantly upgraded. Some ships are now melee, with others being ranged. I can stack my naval ships with my units at sea, and I don't have to worry about my units being taken out automatically, because they can defend against melee ships.

Another great change.

Cheers.

Let me just add that Naval combat has also been significantly upgraded. Some ships are now melee, with others being ranged. I can stack my naval ships with my units at sea, and I don't have to worry about my units being taken out automatically, because they can defend against melee ships.

Another great change.

Cheers.

Yes Finally more options at Naval Warfare, now with the upcoming patch, it says that the AI will be smarter/lean on/to Naval Warfare, cant wait for it XD.

Too bad first drops on PC and then on Mac, so I wont be able to play it alot since the PC is on the living room :p

What I like about G&K is that there`s simply more to do during peace. In vanilla game you can fall asleep in the longer games just hitting `Next Turn` and waiting.

What I like about G&K particularly...
1. The spy stuff. That adds a little more to the game and it`s nice to warn a friendly AI of a sneak attack or to be warned of a potential attack. Nicking tech is nice too (and the AI can do it). However, a lot more could be included here.

2. The longer tactical fights. But you also must be a lot more tactical as well. You can`t just rush in with a few ill-thought units and expect to win.

3. The extra Leaders are nice.

4. Faith is ok and the ability to create your own Religion is interesting... However, I would`ve liked some Faiths to simply spontaneously appear by themselves. It was very rare for a state to actually make a Religion, although it did happen. The way faiths are all controlled by Civs is somewhat improbable. there should be breakaway or independent Faiths.

Hi,

Just finished my first G&K game.

Warlord/Large/Epic/Continents

I won by domination in 1921. I was using a mixture of Artillery, Gatling Guns, WWI Infantry, Tanks, Bombers, and some Destroyers right at the end.

In contrast, before G&K, I would usually win in the late 1700s or early 1800s with a mixture of Riflemen and Cannons.

I think the extra time needed is due to the improved AI.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Now off to play Theadora.

Cheers.

Hi,

Just finished my first G&K game.

Warlord/Large/Epic/Continents

I won by domination in 1921. I was using a mixture of Artillery, Gatling Guns, WWI Infantry, Tanks, Bombers, and some Destroyers right at the end.

In contrast, before G&K, I would usually win in the late 1700s or early 1800s with a mixture of Riflemen and Cannons.

I think the extra time needed is due to the improved AI.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Now off to play Theadora.

Cheers.

Congratulations! :) Indeed, G&K makes domination a bit more difficult than that in vanilla. It is mainly because G&K increased city defense and the power of ranged unit. I could recall that in my first G&K game I did not bring any ranged unit. I was really surprised at how fast the enemy city ranged attack and composite bowman destroyed my swordsmen army. :sad:

Top Bottom