Gods & Kings: Introductory Guide

No problem, I found them. I'm a little disappointed by this change though-I used to be able to access *all* the maps via the regular set up menu......or am I missing something?

Aussie.

You're probably used to using mods - all the map types are listed in the main setup screen in the mods menu but not the normal single player menu. Should still be true even if you don't select any mods, so you could try that (though achievements might be disabled if you care about such things).

Indeed, I downloaded the game from Steam (around 1GB), & I can't seem to find *any* of the files that come with the game anywhere on my computer?!?! I can play it still though, & is listed as DLC in the DLC menu. Can either of you guys tell me where I should look for the relevant folders?

Thanks in advance :).

Aussie.

Gad, it took me awhile to find them! It appears that G&K (along with the rest of civ5's content) is DOWNLOADABLE content. So, within civ5 there is the DLC folder, where you'll find 'Expansion' folder wherein lies your quest.

EDIT: All under the Assets folder.

Thank you for the thorough introductory guide :) I've bought my copy but have not played yet.

I still have a few questions (for anyone who can answer):

1. Can I skip the pantheon (uncomfortable to found it, ok with it existing in game) and later join a founder religion that the AI unlocks or try to unlock a religion, follower belief or, enhancer belief (once pantheons run out)?

2. Is there a mandatory prompt to make the pantheon once you accumulate enough faith points or can you chose to avoid it and save faith points for something else? (Like the Civ4 option "this is nothing but superstition").

3. Is the pantheon somehow connected to the later religions (player continues to receive benefits, etc) or does it become obsolete once its founder unlocks a religion?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

You're going on holidays and leaving us having to do the heavy lifting? :)

Enjoy your time away- hope you are going to a nice place.

Thanks! You'll all probably know more about the expansion than me by the time I get back. :)

Thank you for the thorough introductory guide :) I've bought my copy but have not played yet.

I still have a few questions (for anyone who can answer):

1. Can I skip the pantheon (uncomfortable to found it, ok with it existing in game) and later join a founder religion that the AI unlocks or try to unlock a religion, follower belief or, enhancer belief (once pantheons run out)?

2. Is there a mandatory prompt to make the pantheon once you accumulate enough faith points or can you chose to avoid it and save faith points for something else? (Like the Civ4 option "this is nothing but superstition").

3. Is the pantheon somehow connected to the later religions (player continues to receive benefits, etc) or does it become obsolete once its founder unlocks a religion?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

You can't skip the Pantheon if you are entitled to it. You can't get the benefit from a founder belief from any religion other than one you have founded. So adopted the religion of an AI will mean you don't get the founder belief, though you will get the follower belief (in those cities that have the AI religion in question). When a religion is founded, the pantheon belief is incorporated into it. So if your city gets a different religion, it will lose its pantheon belief.

what I am missing badly in here are the important changes to scientists and RAs - can some1 pls give me a detailed explanation?

Can I expect a FAST finish time without RAs?
How to use scientists for a fast spaceship? all at once as previous?

what I am missing badly in here are the important changes to scientists and RAs - can some1 pls give me a detailed explanation?

Can I expect a FAST finish time without RAs?
How to use scientists for a fast spaceship? all at once as previous?

RAs are less important for fast finish times but they still help. Here is the new formula(no median anymore).

About scientists: If you manage to finish under 240 turns, i think it's not useful to put an academy into your capital. Near the end, you can get over 1000 bpt. A gs will provide you 8x(last 8 turns)bpt = +/-8000 beakers per scientists.

If an academy can produce at best between 20 and 25 bpt, you need 160-200 turns working your academy to make a similar total of beakers. But you lose the opportunity to reach earlier techs faster by not settling it. But in my last GOTM game i kept them all because my 1st one appeared pretty late in the game(around turn 155) but finished at turn 231(science).

Edit : Just found this.

About RAs:

So it breaks down to ~ (5a1 + 5b1) * % on standard speed.

So if Ai techs badly (1/5 of me)and I got 100% rate I can get in 30 turns like 6x my science output of 1 turn - meaning increasing my bpt by (5+1)/30 =16% per turn?
well 3 ras increasing it to like 50% - seems needed ....
on deity it d be like (5+5)/30 = 33% increase of bpt

I hate this DOF thingy .. even when brokken vanilla RAs were even worse

About scientists:

On 4 city Tradition I get around 700 bpt w/o any academies. 700*8= 5600..
About scientists -I get this benefit (my output of last 8 turns of science) right away? So I calculate how much bakkers I need to finish for the wanted tech (like 40.000) divide with my scientists (lets say 8) = 5.000 divide by 8 = 625 = the avagredaged bpt - once I reach that number - i ll use them all?

Overaly it seems to me that settling 1-2 scientists (if grabed somewhat early prior to important techs) should be worth it as they also increase the RA output and the scientist output of hurried ones

Wasn't sure where to ask and after doing a search still can't find this. If you send a spy out and get the message a tech is available to steal how do you decline that?

Thanks for the guides etc.

Have to say I am pretty disapointed with G&K. The pace is too slow and combat is an utter pain, units that have been pulverised just hang around. When you have units, one or two levels above the defender you should pulverise them. I know the game is not meant to be historically accurate but its out of whack.

Religeon is a real pain, missing out on it means the game is effectively over for you and the AI seems to generate faith at prodigeous rates. The changes they have made to gold generation and happiness (via the social tables) just turn the game into a tedious grind.

And what is with all the female leaders?

Moderator Action: This is a guide, not a rant thread.
If you want to rant, use the rant thread.

Hi there , i am new here. I want to play online civ 5 , i am such a big fan of civ games since civ 3 appeared, so please keep me informed about the games u play here so that i can play to with u . thanks. have a nice day for king and country ! :D

ive heard that G&K is better than civ V but i want to know in what ways what does it add that makes it truely recquired for a civilization fan

ive heard that G&K is better than civ V but i want to know in what ways what does it add that makes it truely recquired for a civilization fan

To quote Bandobras Took from another thread:

"Very elegant religion and espionage systems, revamped naval combat (melee/ranged naval division), total great people rebalance, expanded tech tree, and fascinating new Civs, to name a few."

great

Thanks so much for this guide!

If you receive an intrigue notification that identifies the target, you can click on this notification and it will take you to a diplomatic screen with the target in question. Here, you can share your intrigue with them. If you choose to do so, you will receive a significant diplomatic bonus for sharing intrigue.

Could someone post a screen shot of this? I found the intrigue tab easy enough, but I have not been able to figure out how to share intrigue despite, I am pretty sure, having had the opportunity.

In order to share intrigue, you have to know the target. So sometimes you might be told that Napoleon is planning a sneak attack, but won't be told that he's planning the sneak attack on Washington. You'll only be able to warn Washington if you know he's the target.

This intrigue is delivered to you via notification icons that display on the right hand side of your screen. When you find out intrigue, these icons appear. If you hover your move over them, a tooltip will display indicating what the intrigue is (e.g. that Napoleon is planning a sneak attack). If the target is specified in this, you can click on the notification and will be taken to the diplomacy screen with the target, where you can select the option to share the intrigue.

Alternatively, if you have a piece of intrigue that you didn't share straight away using the above method, you can always manually go to the diplomacy screen with the target in question, select the 'discuss' option, and then select to share the intrigue.

It's important that you do share intrigue, because it gives quite a significant relations boost. How the AI actually responds to you sharing intrigue with them, in terms of altering their plans, remains ambiguous.

Thanks very much. I was looking for this functionality within the espionage screen. I should have been in the diplomacy screens. Once notified of the intrigue, select discuss with the leader in question, and there will be a new button to share intrigue. As you describe, one can also jump directly there from the pop-up notification, but I have only done that by accident so far!

Is there a thread for suggestions to the developers? I think the intrigue tab from the espionage screen should also provide a link to do this.

Top Bottom