Gods & Kings: Introductory Guide

Thanks. This is like learning the game all over again. I better be able to survive on a little sleep tonight.

That is a well written piece on embassies. I would possibly just add that you need writing to enable you to establish one. (I know you can find out by hovering).

A question that may seem basic- why can't I use prophets/ missionaries in some City States? There is no option to spread the faith, even with those City States which have requested my religion.

Do you need astronomy to establish embassies across the ocean?

Nah, if you discovered them through using coastal tiles, you can initiate embassies right away (assuming you have discovered Writing).

Sorry if I just missed it, but I wasn't able to find it on the forums and I think it would fit nicely to this Guide...

Could someone pls post the new upgrade paths of all the units (e.g. warrior -> spearman -> pikeman...).

Thnx

Also note that this and other map scripts dominated by water and naval action now cue the AI to this fact, so that it will focus more on naval operations and overseas expansion.

Does this mean that the AI knows on turn 0 that they are on an islands map [in a random map type game]? That way they know they don't have to build that first scout, and just scout around with initial warrior, and use the initial city build for something else?

[obviously when I know the map type, I will use it to my advantage for the first build, but I don't want the AI to be able to...:rolleyes:]

I have tried editing the xml files in GK and alter civ traits but it would not take and revert to default values- am I missing something here. I have tried to look at other possible locations to do some altering- no go. Used to work in vanilla. Even global defines would not take. Are the default files in the steam cloud?

I'm currenty installing Gods and Kings...
How long does it takes to install it?

I have tried editing the xml files in GK and alter civ traits but it would not take and revert to default values- am I missing something here. I have tried to look at other possible locations to do some altering- no go. Used to work in vanilla. Even global defines would not take. Are the default files in the steam cloud?

the G&K files are in another area. The whole XML structure is copied over there (DLC/expansion).

Two things from the initial explanations (which were very good).

1. It is said under espionage that you will know who steals from you. This is not correct.

2. Under religion, it is not immediately clear what benefits you get from spreading it to other countries or City States. If Camikaze gets the time, perhaps a short paragraph would help?

1. Sorry, that was meant to say that you will know what is stolen from you.

2. I doubt I'll have the time for anything proper (going on holidays in a couple of days), but it entirely depends on what beliefs you have, particularly what Founder Belief you have. In the guide you can see the religion overview screenshot with the Founder Belief 'Ceremonial Burial', which gives +1 :c5happy: for every city following the religion. This includes foreign cities, so in that case it was beneficial for me to spread my religion in order to gain that happiness bonus.

City States have a little more benefit. Firstly, if you share a religion with a City State, your influence with them drops 25% slower than it otherwise would. Secondly, they may put out a quest asking you to spread your religion to them. If you do so, you'll have fulfilled the quest and gain influence accordingly.

Maybe a stupid question, but where are all the extra map types you guys have mentioned? I went to set up my first game, & I appear to have even *fewer* options than I did when I was playing Civ5 Vanilla. This is with all of the DLC's loaded up, btw.

Aussie.

Maybe a stupid question, but where are all the extra map types you guys have mentioned? I went to set up my first game, & I appear to have even *fewer* options than I did when I was playing Civ5 Vanilla. This is with all of the DLC's loaded up, btw.

Aussie.

You go into the Advanced options panel. The map list is at the top on the right side column.

Indeed, I downloaded the game from Steam (around 1GB), & I can't seem to find *any* of the files that come with the game anywhere on my computer?!?! I can play it still though, & is listed as DLC in the DLC menu. Can either of you guys tell me where I should look for the relevant folders?

Thanks in advance :).

Aussie.

You go into the Advanced options panel. The map list is at the top on the right side column.

No problem, I found them. I'm a little disappointed by this change though-I used to be able to access *all* the maps via the regular set up menu......or am I missing something?

Aussie.

No problem, I found them. I'm a little disappointed by this change though-I used to be able to access *all* the maps via the regular set up menu......or am I missing something?

Aussie.

The explorers DLC maps also required going into advanced settings.

Top Bottom