Gods & Kings: Introductory Guide

Great guides both of you !

I think I would like to especially thx madjinn. Your vids made me play civ5 again when i was easily winning any emperor game but losing on deity/immortal. So nicely commented . And those vids on the mechanics are again so perfect. You have a gift man.

Now the question/opinions:
1. My first impression after those guides , is that the era of wide conquering empire , with puppets/tp is over and that tall empire seems to have now a (slight?) upper hand. Would you agree ?

2. Have you tried playing deity level with all those changes ? seems to me like the game is now diverse enough to prevent relatively easy win on deity through the (ab?)use of tricks (AI milking on the top of my mind) and that now it is challenging enough to play at emperor. Impression ?

Now the question/opinions:
1. My first impression after those guides , is that the era of wide conquering empire , with puppets/tp is over and that tall empire seems to have now a (slight?) upper hand. Would you agree ?

2. Have you tried playing deity level with all those changes ? seems to me like the game is now diverse enough to prevent relatively easy win on deity through the (ab?)use of tricks (AI milking on the top of my mind) and that now it is challenging enough to play at emperor. Impression ?

You can still do most things at higher diff. levels, but they have 'changed' style, in some cases. Combat is a bit better, but the AI no longer has carpets of doom, so if you're really tight on the combat, it'll still be tough, but not 'ok, moved 1 hex, next row' sort of 'bad'.

The pacing of the game has slowed down (tech wise) which means that the AIs have an advantage there now. So trying to be 'peaceful' and small for too long will definitely hurt you (depending on civ) as they'll just get further and further ahead. No more 3 rounds of RAs and win sort of deal.

Can you abstain or vote for nobody

nope. You have to vote, but you can always toss the vote at someone who won't win.

Personally, I don't like the implementation of intrigue, such that it only affects AI players. Obviously, AI players are never going to be able to play by the same rules as human players and still be effective, but it bothers me when they're explicitly treated differently by the game mechanics.

Or to put it a different way, I don't like having mechanics I can take advantage of vs. AIs but not human players.

I would have preferred different information to be available; information not dependent on what the AI "intends" to do. I don't have specific suggestions, but I'm sure I can come up with some if for some reason I need to. :p

nope. You have to vote, but you can always toss the vote at someone who won't win.

Unless enough AIs also throw to the same player with no city states that you do.

(I typically cut CS from the 2:1 ratio down to 1:1)

So Civ V had 34 maps w/ all the expansions, Gods & Kings has 9 additional maps listed, but I'm counting 45 maps, so what are the other 2 maps that were added?

It's the ones listed here plus Amazon Plus and Great Plains Plus. Which I guess are just better scripted versions of the originals, because their tooltips are identical.

Could someone post a picture of the Mayan Long Count ability?

There is a little typo in the article about the city-states:

There are two new types of City-States (in addition to the current Mercantile, Militaristic and Cultural); Religious and Mercantile.

Bolded word should be maritime.

This is something we had on embassies, though there wasn't time to flesh out all of diplomacy:

By Pfeffersack.
Embassies are a new option on the diplomatic table, becoming available with Writing. Granting a civ the right to set up an embassy usually nets you some gold and makes them like you a bit more. Also, it is a prerequisite to be able to enter into an Open Borders agreement. There is one caveat however - embassies are always located in capitals, so establishing one will reveal the location of an opponent's capital. This cuts both ways, and granting the AI an embassy will give them a potential target, or more relevantly when starting a game in a late era, allow them to send spies in. Although they are not specifically a prerequisite for Declarations of Friendship, the most important function of an embassy is probably that they are require in order to sign Research Agreements. The same applies to Defensive Pacts, as well. If you denounce or are denounced by another civ, your embassies will be withdrawn, and you'll have to re-establish them once the other party is willing. Going to war will similarly cancel embassy agreements.

Thanks guys. I did a search on "embassy" in this forum and didn't see that Camikaze, thank you. Is it in the introductory guide.

And also another question (which I haven't researched yet). Is there a change to garrisoning units? I don't seem to have the garrison button available anymore. (First game btw)

No, that's the first time it's been posted. Was going to include it in the guide but we didn't have time to get enough together on diplomacy. :)

There is a change to garrisoning units. You don't have to anymore. You just have to have a unit in a city.

Top Bottom