Good wonders?

Ljb123

Chieftain
Hello I was just wondering what wonders you guys like to build and what ones you think are the most useful ? Also do you think beelining to a wonder is ever a good idea?

I play emperor, epic and I usually beeline for these wonders:

Stonehenge (religion)
Hanging Garden (growth)
Louvre or Taj Mahal (golden age)
Porcelain Tower
Statue of Liberty

Depends on whether I go cultural or space, I will build the appropriate wonders

Depends on the situation. I don't have a list of what they do in front of me but I remember trying to get:
Great Library
Statue of Liberty

Beelining to Great Library and making sure you've got Bronze Working researched so it pops Iron Working straight away is a good way to get a military headstart on the other guys. Swordsmen vs Warriors is a massacre :)

I am addicted to four Wonders right at the beginning of virtually any map I play:

-Stonehenge (extra Culture helps earlier more than later, jump-starts SP tree);
-Pyramids (extra Workers + All Workers Speed Up; also helps earliest, jump-starts tile improvement);
-Great Library (Timed correctly, can grab Civil Service; also, this is a "keep-away" one, as in "Don't let a rival grab this!"); and
-Oracle (The SP always helps, and also a "keep-away").

Real quickly, this is my usual build list from Turn Zero:

-Scout
-Scout #2 (depending on map size)
-Worker
-Stonehenge
-->Warrior (depending on Barb encounters / early AI attack)
-Pyramids
-(PURCHASE a Settler)
-->Warrior (depending like the last one, or if I didn't build the last one)
-Great Library
-->Warrior / Archer (depending same as above)
-Oracle
-(PURCHASE a Settler, if wise)

That's what I shoot for, anyway - and after that, in-game conditions completely take over strategy decisions.

Those are my "Addiction Wonders," I know there are plenty of other strategies and playstyles. Just my thoughts! :goodjob:

Stonehenge, Porcelain Tower, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Hubble Space Telescope

Emperor Wonders of Choice:

Great Library - depends, but increasingly my favorite
Petra (80% of my starts involve deserts)
The Great Wall (to keep you safe to wonderspam)
Hanging Gardens/Temple of Artemis
The Oracle
The Colossus
Chichen Itza
Notre Dame
Angkor Wat
Sistine Chapel
Neuschwanstein
Himeji Castle
Taj Mahal
Porcelain Tower
Forbidden Palace
Big Ben
Brandenburg Gate
Statue of Liberty

Can't get all of them all the time, but most of them I can bag unless there is like Egypt with marble on the map.

- Petra, if I even have one desert tile. I find the wonder too powerful to let the AI have it.
- Hagia Sophia, if I don't make enough faith per turn and need to get a GP fast.
- Great Mosque of Djenne, if I do make enough faith.
- Neuschwanstein, if I go down the right side of the honour tree. Though I still get it even otherwise.
- The Oracle.
- Statue of Liberty
- Brandenburg Gate
- Hubble Space Telescope
- Sydney Opera House
- The Great Lighthouse, I usually let someone build this and steal it from them.

Anything else if a CS wants it or I have a good chance of getting them and it being useful. Though I usually steal the remaining wonders. Easiest way to get them on the harder difficulties.

- Great Library
- Stonehenge (normally in multi you can only pick one)

====

Pyramids
Hanging Garden
Petra
Machu Picchu
hagia Sophia
Great Mosque of Djenne

========

Statue of Liberty
Hubble Space Telescope
Louvre
Porcelain Tower

I agree with what you guys are saying above, but a lot of it depends on what kind of victory you are going for. If you are doing a one-city challenge, the hanging gardens is really nice.

Forgot the Pyramids. 2 workers + improvement speed is very important early game.
There's a lot of wonders that can be skipped so it's always best to have an idea of what you want and then prioritise based on your ideal victory conditions - and some forest to chop to get those wonders helps.

- Great Library
- Stonehenge (normally in multi you can only pick one)

====

Pyramids
Hanging Garden
Petra
Machu Picchu
hagia Sophia
Great Mosque of Djenne

========

Statue of Liberty
Hubble Space Telescope
Louvre
Porcelain Tower

I see you don't build the Great Wall...

excellent

I see you don't build the Great Wall...

excellent

Ah my bad!

On singleplayer I dont.

On multiplayer I do. I always call it a weapon, not a wall. (Sniping cities then killing units around it as they are stuck in the movement problem area)

Its a good wonder, hard to get on harder singleplayer levels.

Ah my bad!

On singleplayer I dont.

On multiplayer I do. I always call it a weapon, not a wall. (Sniping cities then killing units around it as they are stuck in the movement problem area)

The Great Wall is a terrific wonder if you have nearby "problem" neighbours...The benefits are more evident when you are attacking an AI with it than when you have it yourself.

In one recent game Bismarck had it...Bismarck had DOW'd me after years of DOF's and other "friendly noise", saying that I shouldn't have trusted him...it was quite a few turns before I could get the upperhand and now I was trying to capture Berlin....it was like wading through molasses....I was close to getting Artillery...so I had to delay a bit...convert all my cannons...and then within a couple of turns Berlin was history ....;)

Ah my bad!

On singleplayer I dont.

[smallfish is Afraid]

Yeah, its certainly the wonderspammer's wonder - the one who gets GW on Immortal or above will usually beat everyone else to most of the wonders, and put him or herself in an extremely unassailable position (for AIs anyway).

And oh yes its most definitely an offensive weapon: I've just tried this on Emperor - deliberately blocking Dynamite while I clear the upper techs so to keep the advantages of GW well into Information Era. I was rolling with Battleships, Rocket Artillery, SAMs, Bombers and eventually nukes, but my civilization had only the faintest clue of "Fertilizer"; "Artillery" was a total mystery to them, except as infernal enemy units to be shot at.:D

I was close to getting Artillery...so I had to delay a bit...convert all my cannons...

This is really evident on water heavy maps like Continents and Fractal, but if you have the Great Wall, I think its best to just ignore the Dynamite tech line altogether and just go straight for Frigates - Battleships/Bombers/Rocketry/Nukes to carry out your conquests. This would definitely keep your Great Wall advantage massively viable well into the Information Era, and of course, you will be using Rocket Artillery instead of artillery.

Rocket Artillery, Bombers and GREAT WALL... yeah, I think even Deity AI will have massive problems handling that, unless they are Golden Age Persia.

[smallfish is Afraid]

Yeah, its certainly the wonderspammer's wonder - the one who gets GW on Immortal or above will usually beat everyone else to most of the wonders, and put him or herself in an extremely unassailable position (for AIs anyway).
Is 1 GE point really that useful? :/
And oh yes its most definitely an offensive weapon: I've just tried this on Emperor - deliberately blocking Dynamite while I clear the upper techs so to keep the advantages of GW well into Information Era. I was rolling with Battleships, Rocket Artillery, SAMs, Bombers and eventually nukes, but my civilization had only the faintest clue of "Fertilizer"; "Artillery" was a total mystery to them, except as infernal enemy units to be shot at.:D
Surely that's a bug? It always used to expire no matter who discovered the tech - after all, it would allow them to blow the damn thing up; why would it matter what the owner has? They're not the ones trying to destroy it!

Surely that's a bug? It always used to expire no matter who discovered the tech - after all, it would allow them to blow the damn thing up; why would it matter what the owner has? They're not the ones trying to destroy it!

That's a gameplay design, I believe.

It forces you to choose between having a great game changing weapon... or waiting until much later to maximize your Great Wall bonus.

I've been wondering about that....does the Great Wall expire once ANYONE gets "Dynamite"? Or does the owner of the 'Wall have to have "Dynamite"? Whenever I build the 'Wall I have been in the practice of delaying "Dynamite" just in case...

And, anyway, I, at least, am never sure precisely which techs the AI have, just the general technological era they are in. Does InfoAddict give you more precise technology information for your opponents?

Great Wall expires when the owner discovers Dynamite

I guess you can find out by trying to invade their Great Wallyness, and see if your footsloggers lose all their movement points or not.

Top Bottom