Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script

Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script 37.0

Thanks a lot for your reply, Scrum Lord. Unfortunately I'm still not getting the start distances I'm accustomed to (outside of Got Lakes, I try to put major civs like 15 tiles apart).

Is there just a chunk of Lua I could delete or something to have the game just use its basic AssignStartingPlots function? I assume there's no simple solution like that, but I figured I'd ask. Thank you again.
Nope. The basic AssignStartingPlots function doesn't handle enough edge cases to support Got Lakes without crashing. That's why I had to write a custom start positioner :)

You could try increasing map size while keeping the number of major civs the same. Got Lakes tries to start civs towards the center/middle of their starting regions (using an algorithm called "center bias" which I borrowed from Civ 5), so if there's plenty of space within or between regions then civs have a better chance of being farther away than the minimum distance.

Hey @Scrum Lord - I've been using this mod for a while now and I've grown to truly love it after I figured out how to tweak the settings to get what I want.
Hey @pokiehl, thanks for sharing btw, and I'm glad that you're enjoying Got Lakes! I forgot to ask, which settings did you tweak to get what you wanted? Just curious :)

Scrum Lord updated Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script with a new update entry:

Extreme Coastal Lowlands, TTS Support, and More!

Version 34.0

Extreme Coastal Lowlands!
  • Introducing Coastal Lowlands: a new option that controls the placement of coastal lowlands. Choose from various levels ranging from None to Everywhere. If you choose Everywhere then you get lowlands at every single non-wonder non-mountain land tile, including hills! And of course you can randomize this option.
  • Nere's Inland Flooding and Climate...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Weird Bug. Love this mod. Been using it for years. 33.1 worked fine for me. Same set of mods, but 34.0 causes my Civ 6 to randomly crash with an Exception - Access Error. Tried both this version and the version on Steam.

v34.0 works fine alone, so it is obviously a mod conflict. I know the whole "add one at a time" process, but I was hoping maybe you could take a look at my Mod folder and give me a hint which mods it might be before I add 100 mods one at a time.

Thank you!

Weird Bug. Love this mod. Been using it for years. 33.1 worked fine for me. Same set of mods, but 34.0 causes my Civ 6 to randomly crash with an Exception - Access Error. Tried both this version and the version on Steam.

v34.0 works fine alone, so it is obviously a mod conflict. I know the whole "add one at a time" process, but I was hoping maybe you could take a look at my Mod folder and give me a hint which mods it might be before I add 100 mods one at a time.

Thank you!

You're welcome!

Does this crash happen when you start a new game or after you generated the map?

Do you have any other mods enabled that affect starting positions such as Origin, Better Balanced Starts, Team Start Locations, Teams Together Strong, Customization VI, or YnAMP? I suggest adding those one at a time with Got Lakes to see if any of those is the culprit.

I also recommend checking your mods against the "NOT Compatible" mods listed in the Got Lakes Overview/Description page (which is by no means an exhaustive list).

It's usually somewhere in the setup, before starting a new game. Often still at a menu. I was never able to get a game to start without it crashing during setup, even if I made it through the menu.

I figured it out. It was Civilizations Expanded. Thanks for the advice, though. I appreciate your time and the effort you have put toward GL for many years.

It's usually somewhere in the setup, before starting a new game. Often still at a menu. I was never able to get a game to start without it crashing during setup, even if I made it through the menu.

I figured it out. It was Civilizations Expanded. Thanks for the advice, though. I appreciate your time and the effort you have put toward GL for many years.
Interesting, I would not have guessed that one. If the crash happened while still in the menu, then you didn't even run the Got Lakes map script yet, so I guess the conflict is some sort-of database-update issue. The only thing GL does to the database is add map options. Thanks for sharing!

Scrum Lord updated Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script with a new update entry:

Reorganized Options, HD Support, and More!

Version 35.0

Reorganized Options!
  • The Landmass Shuffle and random-by-default options have moved to the top of Got Lakes' map options list. I highly recommend looking at these options first because they add chaos by default, have a massive impact on the map, and include many choices that are exclusive to Got Lakes.
  • The two above-mentioned groups of options are color-coded in the menu so that they are easier to find. Landmass Shuffle options come first with a gold...

Read the rest of this update entry...

That are great news.
Can i beg you to make your mapscript for civ5 compatible with Vox-Populi and Even more Recources ?

Hi Scrum Lord, thanks for the update to 35.1.

I translated your mod to my native language from version 35.0 and wanted to know what files you changed and added/removed going from 35.0 to 35.1 in the mod folders? so that I simply replace these files to avoid having to start my translation all over again.

Thank you.

Hi Scrum Lord, thanks for the update to 35.1.

I translated your mod to my native language from version 35.0 and wanted to know what files you changed and added/removed going from 35.0 to 35.1 in the mod folders? so that I simply replace these files to avoid having to start my translation all over again.

Thank you.
Hi Remrem,

I changed the following files in the "Got Lakes Map Script" mod folder (which would be named after steam-id if you installed via Steam):
  • GotLakes.lua (line 24 and around lines 5606-5689)
  • GotLakes_AdvancedSetup_Text.xml (added "non-floodplains" clarification to terrain flag options and removed "New" label from previously-new checkboxes)
  • GotLakes_ASP.lua (around lines 772-780)
  • GotLakes_Utils.lua (around line 1439)
  • Got Lakes Map Script.modinfo (version number update at lines 2 and 49)

Hi Remrem,

I changed the following files in the "Got Lakes Map Script" mod folder (which would be named after steam-id if you installed via Steam):
  • GotLakes.lua (line 24 and around lines 5606-5689)
  • GotLakes_AdvancedSetup_Text.xml (added "non-floodplains" clarification to terrain flag options and removed "New" label from previously-new checkboxes)
  • GotLakes_ASP.lua (around lines 772-780)
  • GotLakes_Utils.lua (around line 1439)
  • Got Lakes Map Script.modinfo (version number update at lines 2 and 49)
Thank you very much Scrum Lord. Yes I download with Steam but I install manually in "documents\my games\Civ6\mods" to avoid automatic Steam downloads. Thank you for the explanations.

A problem I always run in to is Wonders being surrounded by mountains. It became so bad that I just turned off wonders, but maybe I should at least bring it up lol. I think maybe because unpassable mountain wonders are classed as mountains and so get clumped together ? And it's not TOTAL surround, but at least half of it is surrounded. Is this something that can have a work around ? I've not really messed around with settings trying to figure it out, as I play on Huge maps and my load times are redonk.

EDIT decided to turn em back on to give an example and it delivered brilliantly!

Attachments

• civvi.png
    civvi.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
A problem I always run in to is Wonders being surrounded by mountains. It became so bad that I just turned off wonders, but maybe I should at least bring it up lol. I think maybe because unpassable mountain wonders are classed as mountains and so get clumped together ? And it's not TOTAL surround, but at least half of it is surrounded. Is this something that can have a work around ? I've not really messed around with settings trying to figure it out, as I play on Huge maps and my load times are redonk.

EDIT decided to turn em back on to give an example and it delivered brilliantly!
Yeah, if you have large clumps of mountains then mountain wonders tend to become part of those clumps.

A few things that might help (pick and choose whichever you feel like trying):
  • Set Mountains to a non-clumpy setting such as Scattered Crags
  • Set Mountain Clumps to Hollow and enable the Thin Mountain Clump Edges checkbox
  • Reduce Mountain Level
  • Exclude wonders that either are mountains or require adjacent mountains, or maybe only include wonders that require no adjacent mountains.
Otherwise there isn't much else that a map script can do since map scripts can only control the first plot of a multi-plot wonder when placing wonders. Thanks for sharing, hope this helps and good luck!

I appreciate the info thanks, I was thinking that I could modify my settings, because let's be honest it's super unreasonable for ANYONE to say "your mod that you worked on super duper lots isn't working exactly how I want, can you fix this tiny thing for me?" lol.

I appreciate you giving me the ways to fix it though I was leaning that way but was never sure! Those load times mate..they just absolutely kill my desire to find a resolution. Also I need to drop my mountain level anyway, all it does is give me a huge legup for placement, and a huge disadvantage for AI to actually make a decent opponent.

Top Bottom