Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script

Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script 37.0

Scrum Lord updated Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script with a new update entry:

Circumnavigation and More!

Version 32.0

Circumnavigation!
  • Introducing Circumnavigation: controls the type of east-west channels that Got Lakes may add to allow naval circumnavigation. Possible choices are None (leave the map as-is, like the base game), Edges (clear out the non-wrapping edges of the map), Paths (create a few random horizontal-ish paths), and Edges and Paths. Of course, you can also randomize this option.
  • Note that Got Lakes will only add Edges/Paths if needed to ensure...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Scrum Lord updated Got Lakes (Various Worlds) Map Script with a new update entry:

Support for Sukritact's Oceans, Improved Start Bias Handling, and More!

Version 33.0

Support for Sukritact's Oceans
  • Got Lakes now overrides kelp forest generation so that kelp forests respect various options such as Climate, Sunlight, and even Climate Granularity.
  • Introducing Kelp Forest Level: controls the base quantity of kelp forests; defaults to Same as Rainfall to match the original behavior of Sukritact's Oceans.
  • Introducing Kelp Forests: whether there are no kelp forests (None), standard kelp forests to match...

Wow! I am baff. :eek:
That is so amazing , thank you !!! :goodjob:
I am playing your map-script just now; I allways do the random thing ; this time i had a "Water World" with lots of mini Continents and a lot of islands ; I started on an island with 90% desert on Deity - that was a real challange.....:crazyeye:

I've got a weird question, does the script do anything regarding strategic resources ? At first I thought it was bad luck, but since I started counting, this is now my 10th game in a row where I've had no strategic resources on my starting continent, and it's really starting to ruin my games. Is there any mechanic in the scripts that changes it ? Or am I just staggeringly unlucky with RNG ?

It was funny at first but now it's making me a wee bit crazy!

That is bad luck. Do you use the advanced setup game screen ? and if so , do you have maybe "legandary start position " ?
This could be the cause for your problems.
Or a mod conflict , maybe. Do you use mods?

I use balanced. I did try a few non-got lakes games and my resources were fine. Ah well, just incredible bad luck then. Watch now, next game I have, I'll have resources on my continent and nowhere else just to balance out the universe!

I've got a weird question, does the script do anything regarding strategic resources ? At first I thought it was bad luck, but since I started counting, this is now my 10th game in a row where I've had no strategic resources on my starting continent, and it's really starting to ruin my games. Is there any mechanic in the scripts that changes it ? Or am I just staggeringly unlucky with RNG ?

It was funny at first but now it's making me a wee bit crazy!
I haven't seen this issue. It could be a due to a conflict with another resource mod.

Sometimes colder climates reduce the chances of certain strategic resources from spawning, since some of the resources like horses and aluminum are not allowed in tundra or snow. Got Lakes compensates for this by allowing all strategics to spawn in tundra/snow for the Snowball climate.

The only other thing that GL does to strategic resources is allow them to spawn anywhere if you disable three or more terrain types the the "No [terrain type]" checkboxes.

One other thing: are you playing against Mongolia or Scythia? Because they might be getting first dibs at starting areas with lots of horses. Or perhaps there is some other resource-biased civ that you always play against?

One other thing: are you playing against Mongolia or Scythia? Because they might be getting first dibs at starting areas with lots of horses. Or perhaps there is some other resource-biased civ that you always play against?
I take this back--balanced starts should have mitigated this. I just ran a quick test with balanced starts and found strategic resources near every major starting city on my map.

Fixes to Restore Reefs and to Avoid Desyncs

Version 33.1

Disabled a reef-reduction crash-on-reveal "fix" that was originally added back when R&F released but is no longer needed. You can re-enable this hack by editing the ENABLE_RF_REEF_REDUCTION flag in GotLakes.lua.

Added tie breakers to sorting of natural wonders and strategic resources to avoid desyncs in multiplayer games, and to ensure that lists are sorted consistently when running the same map seed multiple times. Also added similar tie breakers to the start positioner and...

Hey @Scrum Lord - I've been using this mod for a while now and I've grown to truly love it after I figured out how to tweak the settings to get what I want. There's one question I have though:

How do I increase the spawn distance between major civs? I don't think the START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_CIV parameter or w/e is used in your custom ASP. I do see "minDistBetweenCivs" but I don't know Lua and as far as I can tell this isn't actually given a number in the file.

Thanks!

Hey @Scrum Lord - I've been using this mod for a while now and I've grown to truly love it after I figured out how to tweak the settings to get what I want. There's one question I have though:

How do I increase the spawn distance between major civs? I don't think the START_DISTANCE_MAJOR_CIV parameter or w/e is used in your custom ASP. I do see "minDistBetweenCivs" but I don't know Lua and as far as I can tell this isn't actually given a number in the file.

Thanks!
Hi @pokiehl,
Correct, GotLakes ignores the base game's civ-start constants in favor of its own hard and soft mimimum distances for spacing out civs. This is mainly to avoid compatibility issues with mods that try to space out civs by fiddling with these constants.

You can adjust the hard minimum distance between civs with a constant called ASP_MIN_DISTANCE_BETWEEN_CIVS at GotLakes.lua L457 (assuming version 33.1). This defaults to 4 tiles and actually feeds the "minDistanceBetweenCivs" parameter that you found in GotLakes_ASP (the call to the GotLakes_ASP constructor is at GotLakes.lua L5755). Changes to this constant will take effect as soon as you start a new game or restart the map.

Note that the maximum allowed value for this is 8 tiles. Any higher and the script will force the value back down to 8 in order to avoid overlapping with the soft-minimum distance of 9 tiles, which cannot be adjusted unless you want to mess with the impact-and-ripples logic that GotLakes_ASP uses at L1877.

Hi @pokiehl,
Correct, GotLakes ignores the base game's civ-start constants in favor of its own hard and soft mimimum distances for spacing out civs. This is mainly to avoid compatibility issues with mods that try to space out civs by fiddling with these constants.

You can adjust the hard minimum distance between civs with a constant called ASP_MIN_DISTANCE_BETWEEN_CIVS at GotLakes.lua L457 (assuming version 33.1). This defaults to 4 tiles and actually feeds the "minDistanceBetweenCivs" parameter that you found in GotLakes_ASP (the call to the GotLakes_ASP constructor is at GotLakes.lua L5755). Changes to this constant will take effect as soon as you start a new game or restart the map.

Note that the maximum allowed value for this is 8 tiles. Any higher and the script will force the value back down to 8 in order to avoid overlapping with the soft-minimum distance of 9 tiles, which cannot be adjusted unless you want to mess with the impact-and-ripples logic that GotLakes_ASP uses at L1877.

Thanks a lot for your reply, Scrum Lord. Unfortunately I'm still not getting the start distances I'm accustomed to (outside of Got Lakes, I try to put major civs like 15 tiles apart).

Is there just a chunk of Lua I could delete or something to have the game just use its basic AssignStartingPlots function? I assume there's no simple solution like that, but I figured I'd ask. Thank you again.

Top Bottom