GOTM - 01: A New Beginning. Pre-Game Discussion

AlanH said:
@drjones: Over 200 players have now successfully submitted this game, so stability issues haven't affected everyone. I *am* surprised your high end rig is struggling. Are you sure you haven't installed some iffy RAM?

I have gotten it stable by rolling my drivers even further back, of course now some of the other games I play are broken and I have lost some of the functionality of my hi-def tv hookup so it is a #*!^^% fix to say the least. Too late for this game though.

-drjones

Hi Guys,

I am new at this forum. Last night started playing the GOTM, however i can play max an hour or so per session. Before i finished playing i saved the game. Will my submited result count if i continue playing the game from the save, or should i reload the game from last autosave. If not, what should i do so my result will count?

Thanks

Any name you like. The submission system renames it to give it a unique name based on your user name. You also have to upload the Cv4Replay file in your My Games\Sid Meier's Civ 4\Replays folder.

Use the submission page at http://gotm.civfanatics.net/submit/civ-gotm.php

creatorrr said:
Hi Guys,

I am new at this forum. Last night started playing the GOTM, however i can play max an hour or so per session. Before i finished playing i saved the game. Will my submited result count if i continue playing the game from the save, or should i reload the game from last autosave. If not, what should i do so my result will count?

Thanks

Play each new session by loading the save you made at the end of the previous session.

I haven’t played civilization for almost half a year and it seems like I missed GOTM community more than the game itself :hmm:

While looking through 4OTM forum, I was extremely impressed by Ainwood and AlanH efforts :goodjob: Sometimes I think that Ainwood and AlanH are not individuals, but names that represent groups of people.

Well, as civ4 is out and I now own it, I am going to try 4OTM1. Although I was fooling around a bit with this game during the last week, I have not completed any game. 4OTM1 will be my first civ4 game that I intend to finish.

Pre-game thoughts.
Goal: To get a first experience from a completed civ4 game (most likely I will try to go for domination).

First moves: Warrior SE. unless something exceptional is revealed, settle at the place. Warrior will continue exploration on a spiral shaped trajectory (information on surrounding terrain is more important than contacts).

First builds: warrior, than a worker or another warrior.

Research: First is agriculture – need to work corn.
I do not know much about religion (never played to the point where it matters), I do not know how to use it, therefore, I am not going to go for techs in the middle of the tree. Writing may not be the best option either as it will result in tech shares and faster research pace (not good for Domination). The only option left is Iron Working which sounds very reasonable given our UU.

I have seen several people discuss whether ocean waters in the first 4OTM lie to the N, E, S, or W of the start location. Keep in mind that in Civilization 4, the videographic flow of the river's water indicates the direction of water, insofar as rivers always originate in ocean tiles and flow toward the tiles in which they begin. If the river is flowing to the E/N on the map, then ocean lies on that side. However, it is entirely possible that the river is a long one and that coastal squares might be found closer on the the W/S sides of the start location.

Maybe someone has made this point, but I just wanted to make sure everyone knew to watch for the river flow and plan accordingly!

This is my first 4OTM, my first GOTM for that matter, and I'm about to load it up right now!!!

I just got this game last week and I'm very new at it. I know I'm not ready to play the current GOTM, so I'm reading these threads to learn some strats and see how I should go about things. Getting the broad picture is FAR more useful than reading a "newbies guide" written by one person.

Thanks for all the insight that you didn't even know you were giving me.

Top Bottom