GOTM - 01: A New Beginning. Pre-Game Discussion

I'm the classic long time listener - first time caller guy... I've been reading the threads for at least a year or so but his comment just drove me crazy! So I signed up and posted just for that question!

ainwood, I'm sure that AlanH has a pc that could lauch missles to the end of our solar system... :lol: Just thought I would poke some fun at him...

bgruesbeck said:
... but I have to ask why don't you have a pc? It just sounded like I should ask the question since no one else has yet...
Well, maybe you should first answer why you haven't got a Mac? It's probably a matter of personal preference, and that would be my answer as well :)

waylander said:
Yah, that never showed up. The bar below the link does but the image never did. This was at home on dial-up. It shows up fine at work.
Interesting! It's only a transparent GIF. What browser are you running at home? When I first set that page up I put a .png in that location, and then I realised that brain-dead IE6 can't see .png images, so I changed it. But a .gif? Surely you can see them?

AlanH said:
Interesting! It's only a transparent GIF. What browser are you running at home? When I first set that page up I put a .png in that location, and then I realised that brain-dead IE6 can't see .png images, so I changed it. But a .gif? Surely you can see them?

I am running IE6 at both. I also couldn't see the starting location jpg on the main page although the one for COTM 19 showed up fine. There wasn't even an indication that there was a picture that handn't loaded, it was just blank space. I put it down to being on dial-up but I suppose it could be some issue with IE6

Anyway, I have the file and will play it this weekend. Thanks.

I'm a newbie here... and have only been playing civ for a short time. I love the sound of this game... though, being that I've generally been playing at a much lower level, I fully expect to have my arse handed to me on a platter... then again... maybe it's time. heh

As for strategies... I'm inclined to agree with going 1E to settle... most of the resources there would be within the city radius within a few rounds.

I'm not accustomed to playing conquest games, so my incination would be to get agriculture and animal husbandry... then to beeline a religion. Not sure if it would work well with Rome... perhaps I should play a game or two as Rome before beginning this.

ainwood said:
He does have a PC. Some slow old beast that runs windows 98. Uses it as a door-stop I believe. :hmm:
Yup! And it doesn't even do that very well :D

And no, bgruesbeck (welcome, BTW :wavey: ), there's no way I'd trust it to reach the end of my garden reliably, let alone the end of the solar system. But I'm delighted that my individualism has prompted to you make your maiden speech here :bounce:

I've problems with opening the starting save. I've created a folder in the single-folder, but when I want to load the save, it's not there! So I tried in the single-folder. No results!
Can someone explain what is the problem?

Redman

When you downloaded it, maybe it had a .txt extension added? Go to Tools/Folder Options. Select the View tab and and tell Windows not to hide known file extensions. If the file has a .txt on the end of its name then right click it, left click "Rename" and edit the name to delete the '.txt'

AlanH said:
When you downloaded it, maybe it had a .txt extension added? Go to Tools/Folder Options. Select the View tab and and tell Windows not to hide known file extensions. If the file has a .txt on the end of its name then right click it, left click "Rename" and edit the name to delete the '.txt'

When I'd downloaded the save, it didn't had a extension. I tried to load it, didn't work. Then I changed the extension in "civ4savedgame".
This also didn't work! When I changed it in "Civ4SavedGame" it did work!

So you have to adjust it with the right way of writing, then it works fine.

Redman

i got a question, i just finished the gotm game but i dont know what to save it as, i also went to the submision page on game of the months website but it didnt have civ game of the month as one of games they are curently excepting.

any help on how to submit my game would be great.

Go here, or go to the GOTM home page at http://gotm.civfanatics.net/ and click the link at the top right corner.

You can call your save, from the turn after victory, whatever you like. You will also need your Civ4Replay file, your final score, and date, and your forum name.

Well, a good starting mod. Very very easy, I won't talk about why to avoid spoilers however after the 1500s or so I crash to desktop/BSOD more than once a turn requireing constant quicksaving. So yeah I won't be submitting my results.

I know this was to get folks feet wet but I would sugesst that the game is not much fun till ya get up to monarch (preferably with raging barbs as you say) and untill they fix this buggy mess a good percentage of players cannot play anything bigger than 'small'. A small/tiny highlands or archipelago on monarch/emperor can be a lot of fun, especialy if you up the number of player from the default.

-drjones
ps. Just in case someone wants to chime in about how the game would work perfectly if I met the specs, I have a high-end gaming rig meticulously tweaked and updated I have rolled everything back, forward and sideways. And it runs better on my laptop that does not meet the spec.

drjones said:
ps. Just in case someone wants to chime in about how the game would work perfectly if I met the specs, I have a high-end gaming rig meticulously tweaked and updated I have rolled everything back, forward and sideways. And it runs better on my laptop that does not meet the spec.

I don't think it's surprising that some people with the latest and greatest hardware have stability problems. There hasn't been as much time to get the bugs out of their novel features. While performance problems show up with the oldest hardware, and people in the middle are likely to have the most stable experience (but somewhat lower performance than the bleeding-edge).

I played (and won) only my first "chieftan" game as America this week, so this challenge should be really, well... challenging.

As Caesar I'll aim for conquest. I like the spots S and E as +5 production seems more useful than +25% defense for an aggressive leader. Going N would lose vital hills while heading W would lose grasslands. Going SE would spoil that tasty-looking corn. I choose E because someone pointed out the edge of a desert to the S, and I see no "danger signs" to the E.

Bon Suerte

@Ozyman8: Welcome to CFC and GOTM :wavey:

@drjones: Over 200 players have now successfully submitted this game, so stability issues haven't affected everyone. I *am* surprised your high end rig is struggling. Are you sure you haven't installed some iffy RAM?

I 've only finished 1 game in Civ3, but was immediately addicted. I just bought Civ4, and have only done a couple starts (just to see how things worked). GOTM sounds sweet, and although I'll most definitely get worked, I look forward to learning from the Post-Game discussions.

Cant wait... I finish my exams on the 17th. If i start my game right now I'm screwed..... But I have allready planned my game, I'll go for the early high scoring spaceship, I dont think I have a chance at the highest firaxis score that way but I hope to get my hand on the first ever spaceship civ4GOTM award.

As the starting location looks, Rome will probably be the Economic powerhouse of my game.

Only 11 days to go. These are the times I wish I was still in highschool ;)

Top Bottom