1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM-02: Pre-Game discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by ainwood, Dec 27, 2005.

1. KevinTMC

KevinTMC Utopian

Happy New Year, ainwood!

I see it's now eight o'clock in the morning, January 1st, in HELEИGRAD.

So anytime you care to release the save file would be just fine... :D

Chomping at the bit up on the right-side-up part of the world,

-- Kevin​

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I am eager to actualy play my first Civ4 GOTM and actualy finishing it. But the thing that I am not comfortable with is the difficulty level since its set on prince :-s.

3. HeadBlend

HeadBlend Chieftain

And its a beautiful day too. No rugby games today so the roads are safe...

4. Rane Khan

Rane Khan Chieftain

0:10 here, can I play GotM 2 any time soon? ;)

(Fireworks only interest me when its due to a we love the king event. :p)

5. LTU_doode

LTU_doode Chieftain

LOL, doode you must be freakin addicted to Civ4 as myself too :)
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! ;)

6. Syntherio

Syntherio Prince

In the last days i tried various games at prince. Everyone at lakes and epic and so on.... And nearly every time i was crushed by barbs... :cry:

This were my first atempts on prince, but anyway it is very disappointing :rolleyes:

I really hope to have more luck when playing my first gotm.

btw: happy new year, and please excuse my spelling - too much scotch :crazyeye:

7. A'AbarachAmadan

A'AbarachAmadan Deity

I was wondering the same thing as it is already past 10 am here. Of course, the debate is to actually start the GOTM or continue the test game I started already or try a couple more to see how things change. Found barbarians to be crazy, but managable after holding on early. I was surprised how quickly I was able to pull ahead in tech with just a few cities. I was pumping out cavalry before a single enemy had the ability to build Pikeman.

8. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

I am definitely going to play a couple test games with my preferred victory condition before I touch GOTM2.

Civ4 games are fast enough that it's more efficient to play out a test game than try to calculate the winning strategy.

9. A'AbarachAmadan

A'AbarachAmadan Deity

I have to agree, though I never did that in Civ 3 since they took so much longer to play. For the first IV GOTM I mapped out a strategy, played a few test maps (usually not all the way through) where I tried to recreate the starting the conditions in the editor and modified the strategy all before I opened the actual game, which caused me to further change the strategy due to actual conditions.

So far for this one I've only gone to Military Tradition, but mainly did 3-4 opening starts to see how different Epic speed is going to be, and it is really different than normal. First thing I noticed was building were 50% more expensive, but units were only 25% more expensive, which makes warmongering easier if you get ahead in tech, which seems easy. Have to figure out if it is worth it to go to Rifling for a slower, but much easier sweep across the lands (since nothing early on has a bonus vs gunpowerder, but some will be double vs the mounted Cavalry).

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

People keep saying that Civ4 games are faster, but I don't really see the difference. Civ4 games have fewer cities than Civ3 games, but a similar number of "productive cities". In Civ3 I would often have lots of highly corrupted cities doing nothing but building workers, which never got very big and didn't take much micromanagement at all. Large cities in Civ4 take slightly less micromanagement than in Civ3, because you don't lose production carryover, but it's not a huge difference (although it's certainly a welcome change from 1.09 to 1.52). Combat is about the same, perhaps a bit slower (it takes longer to grind through in the Middle Ages in Civ4 than in Civ3 because Cavalry only move 2, and because cities have larger cultural radii, and you can't encroach on them so easily with your own cities). Workers take a bit more time to manage in Civ4 than Civ3, because you have more choices, because you can't just mindlessly assume that building roads everywhere (and then railroads) is the best thing at a certain point, and because I feel the need to find something for my workers to do (like chopping all of the remaining forests at the right times) at a point in the game when in Civ3 I'd be joining my excess workers back into cities.

I don't deny you could play a quicker game just as an experiment, and not pay as close attention to all of the details, but then, I think you could do that in Civ3 too.

I'm just not seeing how the game is faster.

Also, personally, playing the same game twice just in order to get a better score doesn't appeal to me. I have no problem with someone else doing it, though. I'd rather play two different games in the same time, and if I don't score as well, that's ok.

P.S. The option to play with a growth notifier would, by itself, significantly speed Civ4 games, because I find that much of my time is spent clicking through cities, most of which don't need anything new. But it's pretty important to visit and evaluate each city on the turn that it grows. (Actually, I'd also like to have a "pre-growth notifier", that would list cities that are will grow on the next turn.) This isn't currently available for GOTM, as I understand it, but it's true that one could play test games with more tools so that they would go faster.

11. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

I used a growth notifier by eotinb for Gotm1. I really dislike playing without it which is what I have to do for RBCiv games and for Gotm (now). :(

12. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

I believe that the HOF staff are working on a 'mega mod' - which will incorporate all the useful mods. We'll allow that for the GOTM as well. Next month maybe?

13. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

YAY! i just got back from party couple of hours ago and i find a new GOTM!! I am so happy! I enjoy playing civ4 GOTM's way more that civ3 :banana:

14. Chopperhead

Chopperhead Prince

happy New Year everyone this looks awesome. Been looking forward to GOTM2 for awile now. I have never played above Noble yet so this should be interesting.

15. WetSawdustDemon

WetSawdustDemon Warlord

Happy new year folks, hmm this looks fun, not sure if I'll get chance to finish it though (any idea how long it'll take to finish an epic length game?) anyway I think I'll settle in place after sending the warrior southwest. I really like the new cultural victory settings (although I do miss the single city version of CIII) and I'm still getting my head around how to set up effective great people factories. With any luck we'll have a nice island or at least a good bottle neck to keep those nasty civs away from my precious cities. In an ideal world we'll have three spots for good 50K cities and a few others I can concentrate on food with. Looks like fun! Thanks.

16. ButSam

ButSam King

Call me crazy... but I'm in! :) Wanna give a Civ4 GOTM a chance. I've won diplo on Settler and Time on Chieftain (just missed spaceship by a few turns--originally shooting for diplo again but couldn't get the votes)...never played any other levels--and never fought any wars. Never played on epic or lake either. Should be interesting!

My goal is to just stay alive long enough to see another person be victorious, with an added bonus if I am close to them. We'll see how it goes! I also wouldn't be too upset if another civ attacked me--give me a reason to go to war! I won't declare war on someone myself without a lot of help...given the above!

Sam

17. ronricorum

ronricorum Chieftain

Ooh, ooh, the save is out and I just downloaded. Can't wait to play! Had to get a quick post in before I fire it up.

Hey, is there a list of mod/tools anywhere that people use to help record events and such during their games for a write-up? Taking notes by hand seems like a lot of work to me. I suppose I could do a search on the forums, but as you can probably surmise from my comments thus far, I'm too lazy, and not sure what to look for anyway. Thanks for any leads/thoughts, and good luck in CIV IV GOTM 2!!!

18. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

The kind of mods I would like to play with are UI or audiovisual mods. Things like an autologger, better advisor interfaces, fixed clock display, different music selections. I like having fun when I play, and playing through the modern era with the dissonant music it normal has, or without the Blue Marble terrain, just isn't as fun :)

UI and sound/display mods don't affect the gameplay, after all, so the ruleset would still be identical to the standard version.

19. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

20. niffweed17

niffweed17 Warlord

wow. lakes map on prince? at epic? talk about being overrun by barbarians.