1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM-02: Pre-Game discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by ainwood, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Merum

Merum Permanent Jet Lag

There seems to be a bit of a graphical bug with the map... if you scroll across an unrevealed area at the edge of your screen, it will be briefly revealed to you. Scroll back or across, and it goes black again. Lakes is the only map I've seen this phenomenon on.

Not sure of the significance, other than it gives you some foreknowledge of what's there, and possibly could be exploited to not waste moves.

2. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

I know for a fact it wrapped around since I normally the first to go around the globe. I get the useless +1 ship movenment bonus. (I lose a game on prince as too many AI gain up on me)
    Lake map normally have lot of barbs. I find they will continue to come from north and south poles on lake maps. Barbs usually start coming around 2000bc in civ4 so that how much time to prepare for them.

If I find myself surrounded by other civs then I don't worry about barbs as much then it more about land grabbing. As I found on tropical maps you have to race getting settlers out to get good city placements.
    Don't want to get stuck having cities in the jungles since I found it take a lot longer for these cities to be profitable.
    So this will be an interesting GOTM. I have to wait to reveal the land around me to detemine exactly what to research. I may have to chopped those trees to beat the AI civ to grab those good city placements. With England I'm going aim for an early religion while I search the land..

3. Shillen

Shillen Deity

Hmm I don't have that graphical bug. But I do have a similar bug at the edge of the map (right side of minimap where it wraps around to the other side of the globe) where a small seam of terrain is revealed. It's always there like that, moving my screen doesn't affect anything.

4. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

edited for no spoily :p

My graphical errors are few, but very wierd. I get leader head errors on most of the leaders. The usual is one or both of a leader's eyebrows will be fuzzy white, so it looks like they have funky mascara. The other more disturbing one, is that Montezuma and Tokugawa, when a diplomatic conversation starts, their eyes and lips are steched out or non-existant, showing me their eyeballs and teeth. It is gross and very disturbing so I dont look at them when conversation starts sometimes!!! :vomit:

5. StanNP

StanNP Chieftain

Please no posting in the pre-game thread once you have opened the save file. Some of us are still on holidays and have not had a chance to start playing yet!

StanNP :cool:

6. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Sorry!! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

7. drjones

drjones Warlord

I doubt this is a spoiler so: I just walked a warrior around the map. No 'circumnavigation' message. Mini map is messed up though.

In general though: pretty easy map just a matter of deciding on a vic condition and putting in the hours to get there.

-drjones

8. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

The map should wrap round normally.

9. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

I think it would be a good idea to add this to the first post, in bold, along with the other admonitions there. There's a lot of GOTM tradition that new participants won't know.

10. TylerDurdon

TylerDurdon Warlord

Is prince much harder than Noble?!

I'm often barely able to pull off a time victory at noble... never won conquest, won domination only on Warlord.... plus never played a Lake map, never tried Prince level and neither tried England... so I guess I'm in for a real BIG challenge....

Well... I'm ending up my current game (1900ad spain Huge Terra map,12 opponents, epic speed) that I'm currently "winning", tried a shot at cultural but Spain got WAY to many diplomatic minus (almost every Civs on map Backstabbed me once and some several time dispite having "good" relation with almost everyone and having most of AI civs under MY religion : I'm rich but I've got a lot of enemy) I think I'll win anyway.... Im almost alone colonizing the NEW continent!!!

But GOTM2 scare me... I barely won GOTM1... I'm not complaining though... just realizing that I have to step up my game...

Can you still win while Automated your worker?!?!

I'm not really comfortable with doing it myself :sad: and way too lazy too!!!

anyway!!! I'm going to practice a least once with similar setting first, it might be a good idea:mischief:

11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Probably, but I bet that winning at Prince with 100% automated workers is at least as hard as winning at Emperor while actually controlling all aspects of the game yourself.

12. Pvblivs

Pvblivs Scriptor

Prince is only a slight increase of the difficulty level. The step to monarch is much steeper.

I think you can. It always depends how much you're automating. Example: I tend to automate the building of the trade network. That is, in the late game when it comes to railsroads I take some workers and let them build all the railsroads automated, as it is a very boring thing. I only fill in the gaps.

Else I would say: Improve your gameplay. Think about your alternatives, about the "why" before you decide and you should win. As in every game :crazyeye:

13. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Can someone please link me to a Prince strategy thread! PLEASE OH PLEASE!:blush:

14. Ozyman8

Ozyman8 Chieftain

The AI automated workers don't know your goals and priorities. The governors are better in that regard since you can influence their choices.

15. mohalen

mohalen Chieftain

i am not able to play the game, i followed the suggestions made but it will still not load, any other suggestions anyone may have?

16. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

17. hendu

hendu Chieftain

I've learned more about the game controlling my workers than anything else. Like where to put cottage, if you need to irrigate some tiles, leave at least one fresh water tile without a cottage so you can string farms together and get them in the back of your land. This is especially true with Liz. traits, because at least 1 city you will want to be a GP factory (lots of farms), but you will also want lots of cottages on the rivers since they are an instant 3 commerce for a good portion of your cities.

18. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Yes, I get the same.

19. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

I also get the strange map revealed portion, and this also happens on multiplayer. Though not game breaking, because you can't see anything ON the tile, its a little annoying!

20. Durkhan

Durkhan Chieftain

Forgive me, I am new to Civilization and to this community, but I feel there is too much information being given in this "pre-game" thread. I would think people would have the common sense that once you start the game, you should not post here at all. You are no longer part of the 'pre-game" mini-community and it's just too easy to let things slip.

Maybe with the patch Lake maps wrap, but in the original release they definitely didn't as I played several.