GOTM #10 *Spoilers* Thread

I think I got this in under the wire. Tried my first ever OCC because I had little time to play this one. I'll most likely end up on the bottom of the list again. :(

I finally played a Civ3 GOTM again. Started relatively early (around the 20th ;)) and had enough time but as always just finished an hour ago. Close to the deadline. :yeah: :eek:

A milked game, but very fun until 1800AD nonetheless. But when I tried for a diplo victory, keeping 2 civs alive and 1, the smaller one, unharmed, the stupid, aggressive AI destroyed those plans. :mad:

I was in good relations with the Iroquese, MPP, RoP and lot´s of trade. But his appreciation went down, despite my constant gifting and trading. After one of the many wars with England, the suddenly decided to abuse the RoP and take one of my cities. They were fully surrounded with a defensive armor line and they attacked with cavalry. Not a singly chance for them. But they tried anyway and when later they surpassed the English, so I had to side with them to win the vote, the same happened with Lizzy.
Traitors, all of them! :p

Anyway, hope stood till the end, the last vote was perfectly timed to be in 2050AD, but the spaceship also stood ready to be launched.

But it was yet a long way to go. With the aggressive and senseless behavior of both AI, the turns only got longer and longer. In the end I destroyed most of their terrain improvements, so they couldn´t really build anything, but then they attacked with Longbowman! :rolleyes:

In the end the SS launch movie made up for most of that annoying behavior, unfortunately there is no highest SS award.
:D

My condolences, donsig...my score sucks ass too. Just don't have time to complete the game! :cry:

70AD Tenochitlan taken by Germans. Darn! 2 turns before our peace with Aztecs expire!
Iroquois have disconnected iron and horses at the edge of their country. If we hit them quick and play resource denial, they will slowly crumble after we get chivalry. Their high culture with Oracle also make them a good target since I am uneasy about colonizing land close to them. They shall be our next victim. :D
170AD Redeclare on Aztecs (with 1 city left). They only have an elite spear left.
190AD Aztecs have been vanquished. The RNG quirk causes the first 2 vet horsemen to lose while the 3rd attack using a reg wins :confused: . The idea now is to use pikes and horses to disrupt the Iroquois' improvements as much as possible before building up a substantial offensive force.
260AD We discover Chivalry. Science set to 0 again as we prepare to invade Iroquois who are almost on par with us in tech. Salamanca now has Oracle & Pyramids, which makes it extra yummy. :D
We have also begun to give small per turn tokens to other civs to prevent attacks due to their unreasonable annoyance at us for being the greatest civ on Earth. :love:
300AD Iroquois refuse tribute. War is declared. A city now belongs to us!
390AD We reach Grand River's iron source and pillage it. We get peace knowing that Iroquois can only build mounted warriors (knights are being sent to pillage horse) while we upgrade to knights. They have almost spent all their forces on the defence while we have 20-30 offensive units.
450AD The Iroquois have once again insolently refused to give us what we deserve. War is afoot again! This time, 4 knights are standing by in the East to pillage his horse while 10 swordsmen bear down from the West upon Grand River, defended only by a pike and spear. The road to their iron has not been rebuilt yet, so we are not expecting pikes or swordsmen reinforcements.
Everyone is jealous (annoyed) of us for being the largest civ, even though I am giving 2 gold/turn all round :(.
490AD Our 10 swordsmen were decimated down to 3 in a series of unlucky attacks on Grand River.
520AD We hit a production barrier at aqueducts and should have sent a few more workers to work on core cities.
Grand River stands (for the moment) with an elite pike :mad:. We reluctantly give them peace for Theology.
570AD Sevastopol comes to us :D
590AD We assemble a grand army of 13 knights outside Salamanca (defended by 2 spears). The Iroquois are in deep sh*t.
600AD An ELITE knight attacks the last spear in Salamanca. <incredulous voice> The knight retreats without causing a single point of damage! </incredulous voice> 1.1% chance. Has anyone actually checked that the combat rolls are not biased??! At this point in time, I want to strangle Sid Meier. (just joking)
690AD Salamanca deposes and we lose 4 knights. We are prepared for this contingency and retake it immediately but lose 1 more elite knight.
770AD Unbelievable...the Iroquois attacked our knight with a longbow and after the knight retreated and the longbow got stranded in the open, the Iroquois disbanded it!
780AD Napoleon appears!! We overtake the Iroquois in culture and are in the lead!
900AD Oh well, time out. Our score is almost double the next civ. Still a measly 1000 compared to some of the other GOTM players I'm sure... Learnt a bit about waging continuous wars in this game ;)

Here's a couple of funny screenshots I took. Usually play peacefully, so seldom see these...

LoL, yeah, but I get those pretty often. :satan:

I got a few moments worth capturing, too, but I didn´t, due to time constraints. :eek:

The best things were the Iroquese using parachuters! But just landing in their OWN territory, on railroad. And of course their attacks with Longbowmen against my Mech. Inf and Modern Armor, because I had destroyed all their roads. :lol:

But that´s nothing compared to inexplainable aggressiveness and unfairness of the AI. Sneak attacks were the ONLY way to start a war, abusing RoPs and MPPs.
And of course they were furious a few turns later, when I had demolished all of their puny attack forces in my territory and had not set one foot on their soil! :rolleyes:
:D

Top Bottom