1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GotM 17 here

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Smash, May 31, 2002.

1. Chofritz

Chofritz Former Mr. Reloader

Maybe I'll try occ in this one, ;) I'm not so good at this stuff but I've read the paulicy so I should be able to make it to AC. What is a good landing date? I've only read stuff on apolyton and those guys land in pre 1500 ad, someone even made it in something like 340 ad, or something like that, :) Myself I usually have problems with the ai in the end, they usually launch a faster ship than mine and I have wasted 5 hours of playing, :lol: not wasted though since I learn from it, ;)

I want to be allied with all the ai civs, maybe I should rush for marcos?

Help would be appriciated (even though I can't spell that word) ;)

2. Lucky

Lucky Game- and Quizmaster

Don´t forget to tell TF to make an announcement on the main page, or do that yourself if you can! :yeah:

We need that for more players to take part, there are still new ones coming and without the announcement I fear we will have a low of submissions. :(

Also today is the 3rd, so the right day for the announcement!
    :D

3. golem

golem Warlord

I had a first look at this GOTM and I have to save I like it - thanks Smash. Only the decision what to play {OCC or normal game without huts) was hard - but finally I go to OCC.

I hope that next time we will have game without huts too - just to test it.

4. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

You guys have lured me in with this one again! A Settler from None, Emperor, even reduced barbarian activity. I've learned much this month, mainly to emphasis Dips and don't hurry into Industrialization / Pollution. Hence, I'm looking forward to trying again on Emperor.

I'm still working to finish the prior gotm and submit it to Matrix on the 5th. I take it we'll submit this gotm17 elsewhere, could you please put all relevant info on one page? I've been using this:
    www.civfanatics.com/civ2gotmrules.shtml

Sounds best to me -- always due on the 5th, but to whom?

One last question. Doesn't the "Cheat Mode" clobber the score? I know it will affect us all equally...

5. noughmaster

noughmaster nough-dist

If a few people play this OCC, does whoever wins get a special coloured star in the HOF?

More seriously, has anyone experimented with this question much:
    How much faster is OCC + 1 helper city than just OCC?

6. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

You want as many Barbs as possible in general, you can handle them and gather as NON's.
    But in OCC tough Barbs are very useful as they cannot take your Capitol, only scratch units outside. SO i would think you want Barbs to fight as much as possible against AI, since you wont be fighting a long total War!?:nuke:
    None Settler is always nice, as very hard to get one otherwise, but doubt is crucial (only guessing)
    Must turn into Engineer to be useful, with Leo's, but couldnt you bribe an Engineer for less than the cost of Leo's ? I ve seen settlers hearded to reduce the cost but Engineers (2 movement), not sure how safe this can be done. Perhaps with a nice big none army, but if you have that you would be building Leo's
    :confused:

7. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

GOTM 16 is going to Matrix, then, when he posts the scores for it, he should update the Site Pages. I will get the saves starting GOTM 17. They can be sent to duke@civfanatics.net.

Does everybody agree then that the new games will come out on the 1st and be due the 5th then?

8. Lucky

I think the 3rd would be better. At least the announcement on the main page should be made on the 3rd.

9. Duke of Marlbrough

It's basically up to Smash. Whenever he wants to put up the new games and let TF know about them is up to him.

I'll take submissions up to the 5th. :)

10. Lucky

The reason for the 3rd as the date where the announcement would show up on the main page, is the Civ3 GOTM. If both would show up on the same day, "our" GOTM (well, I play both) will most likely be overlooked. Having a singular date all for itself is better for the attention and therefore the submissions we get!

11. Duke of Marlbrough

12. starlifter

starlifter Deity

Wow! 157 times by only the 8th of the month....
    Ya'll all play and submit this month, even if you're new to Civ II.. and make Smash's first GOTM map & Duke of Marlbrough's first GOTM Admin a record breaking one!! Anyone know the record for monthly GOTM (Civ II) submissions??! :goodjob:

PS: School's out now, so's the excuses for the bright young minds not submitting their GOTMs this month ;).....

13. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

Nah,that was just me d/ling it 150 times :groucho:

14. gonzo_for_civ

gonzo_for_civ Chicken Walker Retired Moderator

I would submit this month, if I could get starlifter to reply to the e-mail I sent him... How's that for incentive? :D

15. starlifter

starlifter Deity

I probably have a lot of e-mails from thread notifications stacked up since last fall. I can't get in to check it just yet, until I get find the right password LOL. But I'll look for it. BTW, I cleaned out all my PMs, so there's room there now too :).