[PTW] GOTM 188 Ottomans Deity

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
GOTM 188 Ottomans Deity
gotm_188_illu.jpg

The Sipahi is the Ottoman Unique Unit

In this game, you will rule over the Ottomans, who are Industrious and Scientific and start the game with the knowledge of Masonry and Bronze Working. This is a Deity-level game. The Ottoman Unique Unit is the Sipahi, a much stronger Cavalry.

Now, since the starting Technologies are fairly weak, the Scientific trait kicks in late and the Sipahi even later, a few goodies have been granted the Ottomans:
  • The Ottomans are also Commercial
  • The Ottomans can build Scouts
  • There are Angora Goats, which look and behave just like any other Furry creature.
  • The Angora Goats, being goats, have made some random paths in the area (not visible in the picture below)
  • Nasty AI has difficulties to attack you early
Use these advantages to expand rapidly!

This game was created by Più Freddo.

Starting Position

gotm_188_start.jpg

Scope of the Game

Standard Map
70% Ocean, Continents, Arid, Warm, 4 Billion Years
Sedentary Barbarians
7 selected opponents.

Time Plan

The game is released on October 1, 2022.
Submissions are due by December 31, 2022.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoilers are free. Please use your judgement!

Sounds interesting! :)

First thoughts:
-we can build scouts but do not seem to have one at the start (my interpretation).
so that might be the first build.
also even only sedentary barbs... makes them even more useful and powerful.
-settling in place and settling for a 6t-combo factory seems to be the way to go then
unless the "angora goat" tile gives some extra food

waiting for the save file now and looking forward to the game!

t_x

Last edited:
6t combo or 5t settler factory then...

and no starting scout unit, right?

t_x

Last edited:
The game is released. This is no more a pre-game discussion, but a spoiler, thread. Use your judgement as always!

And try to take the hints given in the game presentation!

Above it says "Sedentary Barbs", but on the release page the setting is called "undisclosed"... i guess the thread info is correct, right?

I will try to take the hints, but usually i misinterpret them! :lol::crazyeye:;):hammer2:

t_x

In order to trigger Golden Age with wonders you need wonders fulfilling all 3 traits?
Also, are we sure that Republic Government Unit maintenance cost is 2 gpt/unit with free unit support of 1/3/4 for town/city/metropolis?

I actually have no idea about the triggering and was too stupid to consider this implication. I ask forgiveness! We'll just have to experiment live in order to find out the answer!

Yes, I'm quite confident that I have used the correct save.

(As a side note: I did notice something sometime, namely that it is possible to pop a Settler in our modified games by using a city to pop a hut. I suppose that the underlying mechanism is that a city would have been popped, and it is converted -- hard-codedly in the game -- to a Settler.)

SHE WAS NOT AMUSED.

DHXWZWY7VJEZZH6Z22SA46DZMQ.jpg
I had very little hope of survival at the Deity level, but I did enjoy playing the Ottomans. Things were going well until I needed saltpeter and the only available was in the English territory of a city that they settled on my area of the continent. I sent in an overwhelming force for this lone city and then expected to defend for a time with my musketmen until I settled for peace. THE ENTIRE INVADING FORCE OF TWELVE UNITS WAS DESTROYED. I suppose at Deity the Ai fights better also. At that point I was toast, and Her Majesty rode in herself and led the English to a quick rout of my nation.
Thanks Piu Fredo for a good map and fun game. I want to replay it at Regent!

Just asking... do you think it is possible to get 1 extra week for this quaterly challenge, please? With a new baby in our house, in addition to our patchwork youngster, life again is very exciting, and playing time is extremely rare... t_x

Congratulations on the new arrival. I’ll extend the finish date by one week, to 7th January.

Thanks, Allan. Therefore, I will have a time to spend New Year night with friends and family. Happy New Year, to all.
Ivan.

I gave this a go and had a decent start with 11 cities at 1000 BC. Was successful in blocking several AI attempts at settling on 'my' end of the peninsula and had 13 cities a couple of turns later. Stayed either caught up in tech or was one behind with buying everything thru India. Would usually use gpt payments for the tech in order to try to keep them happy. But in 590 BC Gandhi came calling and I wasn't prepared to take that many guests! :mischief: And that was that.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new arrival. I’ll extend the finish date by one week, to 7th January.
thank you. and, thank you! :)
t_x

thanks again for the additional time... a baby in the house can make 3 months appear just like the blink of a weary eye! ;)

what i accomplished was a 1230/1240 ss victory, earning me some 10044 Firaxis points.

will post a full report in a minute!

t_x

Attachments

• 188.png
    188.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
FULL REPORT

Early moves:

Settle in place – worker e – work silk forest for 2 turns

Early build:

Scout – worker – settler – settler – granary

Scout explores north, then east, finds a cow

3500 culture expansion finds a very special bg cow in the south!

3450 find 3rd lux, gems

3050 first lux connected

2900 India finds me, trade for Alpha

2800 2nd town 22

Finds another great cow location to the west!

2510 2nd settler built without a gran from cap, 2nd forest went into that one. Silks also on a bg, nice! ;)

2430 2nd lux connected

2390 3rd town 411

Indians have SEVEN towns

2310 England contacts us, they already have Writing – i trade Mas for it, continue with

England can build scouts as well!??

2270 first gran, in 2nd town

2070 suddenly know Japan, can trade for TW and IW… both resources are to be found nearby

1990 4th town 66

1830 2221

2nd gran built in 3rd town

1790 3rd gran in 1st town J

3 pop factories running and lots of land to settle!

1700 11111

1675 CoL in

1575 trade for MM and all maps, see the whole continent

1550 33332

1475 899 + 87777

1275 they researched Lit for me, nice!

1225 connect horses

1100 3rd lux connected

1050 first galley starts to explore

1025 everything prepared for Rep IBT, trade for Lit and Maths, England already has Construction :eek:, impressive.

Change a few prebuilds to libs. Revolt!

100bc stats

19 towns 45 pop

3 grans, 4 rax, 3 libs

All AA obligatory techs except Poly, Con, Curr, plus Rep and Lit

Research on Curr

7 turns of anarchy L

1 settler, 17 workers, 4 warriors, 1 galley

66 gold, 3 contacts

No 1 in gnp and production (before the revolt, obviously ;))

975 damn, border town flips to India ;( just a few turns after its foundation

950 1st suicide galley starts exploring

900 of all civs, India build the Great Wall. In more or less the most remote town possible. Very bad development in the last few turns…

825 IBT Republic

England has Currency, not bad, the English science. Nothing to trade, so i switch to Poly

Buy a new boat

No 1 in production and GNP, growth during anarchy made me no 2 in population

775 Poly is around and i am not the first to the new era; they traded Curr and Poly so i cannot even trade directly. So i trade it from India for gpt… draw Eng. They would only pay peanuts back for it, so i abstain from the trade for now. But England coughs up 68gpt, that´s a deal!

Can research Feud in 8, not so great.

Next ship sinks after 1 turn on sea L

690 Japan has landed, for war i guess

3rd vessel makes it over, meets Russia

Buy all contacts and maps. Amazed that Zulu an Aztec capitals lie only 8 turns from each other. Aztecs surprisingly weak.

Play it LoD with Japan, they declare. Buy India and England in against them.

Great, my first out of only two vet horses yet loses to their reg warrior on plains…

IBT i get the first part of my palace in this game :D

650 Feud in, Inv next

530 Inv in, GP next

510 Capital to size 12 and next turn 20spt, some more border teasing with India

Tech pace is surprisingly slow for Deity, even wonder builds come really late. I have no problem whatsoever to outproduce and outresearch those Deity AIs… i now also lead in pop.

410 GP in, Chem next

370 i realize that stupid me thought i would go for a 100k victory and had already built a few temples during this preparation time of my Sipahi age. But i am to go for Space! – thus sell 4 crappy temple buildings again…

do those 240 shields in the oven qualify me for a Predator Class participation? ;)

310 last IBT it traded for Chiv, bad news is that India got it, so i´ll prepare a knight army instead of horses. Japan is eating England alive.

290 CHEM in – MET next

190 something decesively strange happens: after Theology, the first AS tech in ages, is discovered by 3 civs in the same turn, ALL CIVS HAPPEN TO KNOW EACH OTHER!?!!! I for sure have not traded communications, and i do not have the slightest idea how else this could happen. ?????????????

Will play on from here, checked the facts from last turn´s autosave, will see how things do transpire without my broker privilege position.

After some consideration, I realize that the English managed to get over to the other continent with their $§&$%& Lighthouse.

70bc Japan musters another huuuuge attack, this time landing 3 swords. First i am mad as i lose a knight against one, but the only elite horse GETS ME MY FIRST MGL!!!!

IBT -> MT in!

Upgrades of quite a few units

50bc the long awaited attack on my friendly neighbour India begins!

Strange detail: this very turn India as the sole civ has EDU, so i trade them MT for EDU – and then attack!

GOLDEN AGE STARTS!

Istanbul makes 30spt

IBT

First universities built

4 war elephants show up

30bc i start the Indian GA… their 3rd elephant has a win

Finally can give iron to poor England

Japan lands 4 units this turn! Well done… i´m glad my 4 attackers around can deal with them.

A few fights hince and forth and in

30ad settler for FP is placed, FP rushed!

Now that India is in the ropes (i hope), i make a combined peace deal with England. There i realize that them losing their sea connection with me seemingly destroyed my reputation. Damn. For once i thought i would keep it, but England really managed to lose sea routes with me even though they have TGLight, not building any but ONE harbour :-/

On the good side of that, i do not have to abstain from false peace deals, as planned.

PHYSICS in 4t; capital changes to Cope´s.

IBT FP built in the midth of Indian lands! Makes every Indian citizen that comes out of resistence immediately productive.

Very surprisingly India has already taken THREE English towns, while they lost their whole core to me…

50 now i run for India´s elimination, to have as much benefit from my GA fort he new 2nd core as possible.

70 fantastic turn in the Indian war: all remaining 4 core towns are now Ottoman! No losses in the whole turn, it was unreal…

110 PHYS in, ToG next

170 India OUT!!! Now let´s get all those industrious Indian citizens work - for us… ;)

250 Cope´s finished regularly, now my available MGL rushes Newtons in the capital!

260 MAG in, new trades. All 8 luxes, nearly everyone happy, +850 gpt in GA while 4t for Banking (and no, the AS did not research that while i did the whole branch)

Reach Industrial Age

Get NAT myself L

Gift the two jokers up, both draw MED ;(

No rails for me instantly

At least it is easy to maintain 4t research. But not at all happy to lose those turns…

GA ended last IBT. Now struggle to make 4t research, but there are obviously reserves.

330 4t later than hoped for, STEAM. The IBT before, the Japanese managed a very nice landing of 7 units from 3 ships… but i blocked the last English town off, so it does not help them a bit to reach them (except they DOW me of course)

Persia has NAV. The first tech the AS researched in ages…

IBT the Japanes broke the linked peace deal and DOW!

340 obviously we were supposed to found originally on 7 of the starting position… there IW would have been possible. L

I take England out

Then take a few Jap cities

They´re in Monarchy, so not WW for them.

360 tides are turning, Japan goes on the counter-offensive. Too few units from my side…

370 Ind in, Ele next. Gift some more border towns at risk to fall back to Japan – to Persia

IBT switch Bank-prebuilds to Factories

I manage the ToE-sling, 3 techs in 1 turn

490 Hoover in, RP in

Exceed 800 spt

520 empire fully railed

820 Enter Modern Age. Get Computers. Trade Scientifics up. Computers as well, oh well. And Eco. Puh. Could not have been much worse.

And 6 turns to MIN, oh well. Adjust prebuilds.

870 MIN in, INTERNET built

1230 after clicking myself through the modern age, finally, i can start my spaceship!!!

Firaxis score: 10044

E victories:

II 1st MGL in 70bc

IIIII IIIII II in 110ad

IIIII in 340ad

IIIII IIIII

A couple of notes on the game design:

Perhaps you noticed that a four-turner wasn't possible in the starting location until the Silk was cut, revealing a BG. 1NW was the four-turner location by means of the Furs-on-Plains tile.

The English Scout was an initial unit that was supposed to help you find them while keeping them so far off that they didn't kill you immediately.

Top Bottom