GOTM 27 Final Spoiler - Full World Map, Industrial Age

Originally posted by denyd

I had a lot of fun killing Babylonian units and generating over 20 GL's.

OMG! :eek:

I didn't generate one single GL, granted I didn't war nearly as much as you. But, I felt I had plenty of Elite victories to earn one....didn't happen. :(

Interesting map. Two times were moved with a palace. First on distant edge of island the Ode, then on small island with barbarians in the south from continent. Corruption very low. At republic all technology turn out for 4 turns. A victory full. I have cultural vicory 100K. Up to SR 7 turns, UN ready, conqest 4-5 turns, domination - 1 turns, Y - 18xx.

[civ3] v1.29f

After learning Navigation in 650 ad, and completing Copernicus the same turn I entered a Golden Age. I decided this was a good time to start expanding, and declared war on Spain (I stayed in Monarchy the whole game). I found the other island in 670 ad.

Spain was destroyed, and my own continent secured in 810 ad.

In 820 ad I attacked the Vikings with 46 Cavalry, and continued against Oda in 880 ad. The number of roaming Samurais and bowmen was huge, and it took me several turns to get a city to heal my units in.

In 930 ad I entered the Industrial Age, and landed on the far away continent by declaring war on the Iroquios in 950 ad. Leaders were plentiful, and I used most to rush factories. In 1255 ad I got 3 leaders in a row, with 3 elite wins! :eek: (what's the probability of that, sometninh like 0,2%?. I had heroic epic.)

Oda was destroyed in 1060 ad, and Iroquois & Zulus around 1200. Reached domination in 1305 for 5536 Firaxis points.

Overall a fun and relaxing game. I only built units in a couple of cities, and really started pumping out cavalries after having built both factories & hospitals in my cities. This probably delayed my victory by some hundred years.

Ending map:

Attachments

• domwin1305.jpg
    domwin1305.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 354
I must say compliments to cracker. This was a very interesting map, as always. I replayed some old cracker gotms, and they still delivered more fun than an average random game after replaying.

Here is an image of the "barb farm island" as it is serving as a training ground for the great American Cavalry regiments.

The placement of Hunt Valley was just random and sort of ironic in a way.

The southern tip was the only position where I could get an open square to land and that took waiting for several turns with numerous faints at impossible forced landings here and there.

In PTW, the barbarians are more random and confused and can be exploited to a higher level because the lack decisive mass in their portion of the AI. A force of 120 barbarian horsemen with 4 samurais could easily have hurled a landing force of 6 veteran cavalry, 1 musketman, and 1 settler back into the sea from whence they came if handled with any sort of focus.

In the test games I was careful to always withdraw any elite cavalry as soon as they had been promoted so that they would not waste any of the promotion opportunities by needlessly absorbing some of the futile barbarian attacks. You can see the Caravels shuttling in fresh Veteran cavalry and then getting upgraded to Galleons in the harbor before shuttling the Elites off to their next duty stations. Wounded elites can heal in route to the next and more important assignment.

When the supply of barb horsemen got low, I was very careful not to attack the villages because I had a more devious plan.

I then gifted an AI civ into the Industrial Age with me so I could reap the benefits of the uprising of 72 additional barbarian horsemen as fresh targets. Remember that raging barbs are your friends and I would not kill the villages until I have wrung the last possible drop of beneift from their mindless, hair cover yurts.

A total of 25 to 30 elite units were produced in the test games by thoughtful manipulation of the "resources" of the barb island.

Originally posted by cracker

In PTW, the barbarians are more random and confused and can be exploited to a higher level because the lack decisive mass in their portion of the AI. A force of 120 barbarian horsemen with 4 samurais could easily have hurled a landing force of 6 veteran cavalry, 1 musketman, and 1 settler back into the sea from whence they came if handled with any sort of focus.

I didn't have the patience, after several turns I finally returned home. I intended to come back after obtaining Apmhibious Warfare but preoccupied elsewhere.

Nice pic cracker. I actually right-clicked the stack of cavalry to see how many were there. :rolleyes:

Great tactic for creating elite units! :goodjob:

PTW 1.27f, OPEN

In my game, this island had very early settlements from both Spain and Oda, so I never saw any barbarians there.

I would have loved to get such a great trainings camp!

Ronald

I accidently created a similar setup on the Zulu homeland.

I was preparing to invade Babylon and had 30 cavalry, 20 artillery & a couple of Infanry armies in Bapedi & Swazi. Babylon decided to get in the first strike with a sneak attack. I had forgotten to garrison Tbabanago and when the war with Babylon began, all of the units bypassed the heavily fortified cities to beeline for the undefended city. Since none of them could make it in a single turn, I was able to redline the defensive units (muskets & pike) with my artillery, then kill the weak defenders (longbow, MI & swords) with my cavalry. I was able kill over 100 opponents and generate 15+ leaders doing this.

Posted by Cracker
You can see the Caravels shuttling in fresh Veteran cavalry and then getting upgraded to Galleons in the harbor before shuttling the Elites off to their next duty stations. Wounded elites can heal in route to the next and more important assignment.

Another example of learning something new every day. I guess I never realized that units in transports heal! Another pearl of wisdom.

As for the training opportunities, mine were more limited, as my initial expedition (Cav and muskets) was recalled to invade the Oda when they declared, after 5-6 turns looking for a good landing spot. When I finally returned, I had bombers (lethal bombard) to clear a landing spot, and was able to promote numerous tanks, and eventually a few mech infantry, to elite. By then, they could just fly to the next destination!

PTW OPEN

I entered the Industrial Age and the Golden Age in 1285 AD. With my new found naval abilities I decided to invade the new world and keep Oda and the Vikings as friends. In 1325 7 Galleons set off for the Arabs.

I allied with the Zulus against them and had little trouble eliminating them. No other civ had any measureable naval presence and so it was not necessary to protect my transport vessels on the long journey across the ocean.

While at war with the Arabs, the Greeks also declared war on them. After I captured the final Arabian city, there were 12 Greek units in my territory. I decided to strike a quick blow against them by destroying all of those units, which I did in one turn. That really hurt the Greeks and they were not able to mount any type of effective counterattack against my invasion. The main goal of my Cavalry was to stay ahead of the Zulus so that I could capture the Greek cities before they did.

Babylon was a minor player by this time and their 4 cities fell 3 to me and one to the Zulus in the dash through the Greek lands. At the very end of the Greek war the Vikings, my good friends, declared war on me. That delayed the war against the Zulus as I ferried several boatloads of units back home to partake in the Viking invasion. The Vikings never got a foothold on my continent, but the same cannot be said for my units, which rolled over 4 of their cities in no time flat. However, the demise of the Vikings would have to wait because while I was busy with them, the Zulus took that opportunity to invade my holdings in the new world.

I made peace with the Vikings and shipped my units back to the new world. Of course, that took about 10 turns and the units I had there had to beat back the initial Zulu attacks, which they did. By the time the units from home arrived, I had already taken 3 of the Zulu cities.

One thing lead to another and in 1780 I achieved a Domination victory.

Great game, cracker. I am a big fan of the modded Games of the Month, even though I know some people feel we should only be playing "ordinary" civ games. I can play ordinary games any time. The GOTM is a trip into a special world.

Originally posted by cracker
Here is an image of the "barb farm island" as it is serving as a training ground for the great American Cavalry regiments.
Well, atleast I wasn't able to land any units before lethal bombers, because all space was used by barbarians! But when I got my carriers and lethal bombers there, it was just a single turn bombing to get enough space. Unfortunately, that wasn't even needed anymore as I had conquerred everybody else by then!

Originally posted by Justus II
Another example of learning something new every day. I guess I never realized that units in transports heal! Another pearl of wisdom.
Well, if you'd at least read gotm22 post by Qitai, you'd realised that truth. :)

Civ3 1.29 (predator)

After the beginning of the Industrial Age, the interturns started to slow down and I did not succeed in my quest to finish the game in 8 hours. Considering the damaging sneak attack by Spain in the Ancient Age, and the subsequent war of reconquest, I was satisfied with finishing in 2 days of civving.

7hr 56min
I research Steam Power relatively late in the Industrial Age and find I am missing coal. I poach coal from the English by aggresive settlement, but it takes more than 10 turns for a stubborn English worker (which stayed in my territory) to finish the mountain road.

8hr 11min
Out of the blue Barcelona flips to the cross channel Vikings taking with it my sole sources of Saltpeter and Iron. I was trading away that source of Saltpeter to the Oda, so the flip also wrecked my trading reputation. Maybe the game is taking revenge for flipping 34 cities last month ;). I declare war and retake Barcelona, and low intensity war commenses with the Vikings.

8hr 29min
A Galloglass/Berserk distroys one of my cavalry in an amphibious assault. Amazingly, they skipped over an undefended core coastal city which was working on TOE. I promptly move millitias into all coastal cities.

9hr 25min
With my research time for new techs growing longer, I can't resist a war with England to pick up productive territory, and send in the cavalry against English riflemen/militia.

10hr 38min
After 5 turns, England is eliminated from the game. The war took longer than expected in terms of real time as some of the English core cities were well defended, and cavalry had to be carefully shepherded.

11hr 58min
Diplomatic victory after piling up alliances against the Oda and inflicting damage on their sole city on the American continent. The vote is unanimous except for the dissenting Oda.

About the barb island; I didn't settle there or disturb it in any way. I thought about the idea of creating elites, but I thought it to be better to leave the island alone and let the AI try to settle on it, and in the process have lots of settlers and defenders killed. This turned out to be not so successful, since my tech lead made me the only one with Frigates (and later on Ironclads), and most enemy ships were sank en route to the barb island.

I settled barb island. I recall I had three galleons with musketmen just sitting there waiting for the barbs to move around and a square to open up. After awhile it did and I made my beach head and watched the barbarians throw themselves at me, dying bravely ... Then I put up two cities on the island, one at the top and one at the bottom.

civ3 1.29f open

Middle Age

Entered the Industrial age in the late 900s and targeted Steam right away. A major decision needed to be made: take on the New World or Oda who had back stabbed me (ineptly) many times and was constantly furious. My military advisor convinced me to repeat history and go for the New World.

Got steam and have no coal. Well, guess I'll take Greece first instead of Iroquois. They're closer anyways. Too bad that they are gracious and others polite to annoyed.

1010 AD Barb island training is complete, one city settles there. Armies and galleons are better placed to go for New World, so here I come. I use the "2 turn shuttle" method of shuttling troops in 1 turn across the ocean, 1 turn return the boats to position for next shuttle. I make it double wide, so I can send 8 troops every other turn.

1150 Greeks all wave American flags. Bab, an ally, is pissed to not have taken any Greek cities and so declared war on me before the smoke has even cleared! Homeland and Vikingland is secure with rails linking all cities. Begin rails in New World.

1190 My first palace jump ever (use a leader)! I had been planning this from turn 4, it didn't play out like I thought. My FP is Madrid (not New York as I had originally, back in 2800BC, planned). Before jump, I had 2258 shields with 527 corruption. After I had 2281 shields with 335 corruption! A 40% improvement! Now New World builds up culture and research. I have 4 turn research for everything since beginning of Middle Ages to end of game.

1220 Babylon fully meshed with America. I plan to rest up for a bit, then take Iroquois and Zulu. I have 19 turn RoP with Iroquois still -- perhaps its time to enact the Real American Policy to Everyone.

1255 I get Rep Parts, and have no rubber! Well, next door Iroquois has some, so I decide now is a good time to forget about treaties and take what I want. 6 cities fall the first turn. Patton arrives to build Theory of Evolution.

1285 Tom Cruise shuttles back to Washington to build Hoover Dam.

1300 Iroquios gone, settlers fill some gaps. I didn't raze any cities, and have had 0 New Word cities flip. My culture seems to keep the populace in line (finally catching Oda). Rush marketplaces in bigger cities to get lots of happy faces.

1305 Surprise, domination victory! First time this type of victory for me, I didn't really plan it right. I would have hospitals in 1-2 turns.

In hindsight, I should've made a decision for victory condition earlier. If domination, I should've ignored culture. Culture maybe only helped prevent some flips, else not too useful. I also could've had hospitals instead of the rest of the industrial tech (didn't need any of it past steam and industrialization).

I think that my culture, happiness, power, science, etc was all pretty good, I probably should've stuck with space race victory. We'll see how the GOTM results turn out. I read somewhere that its ok to go back 1 turn before domination to do something else -- is it true? Not a big deal this time, but perhaps I'll reload 1300 and try for a different finish once the results are posted to see if something else would've been better.

Final firaxis: 5553, 1092.2 happy, 45 special, 1436.1 territory, domination victory in 1305 AD.

Top Bottom