GOTM 31 Pre-Game Discussion

I find speculation threads are no use when you want to improve your game. At least when you have a screenshot etc you get to discuss strategy and learn something. All I have learnt is how much people want to get to the pre-game discussion.....

You guys keep talking about emperor, deity, demi.....pipe down.:crazyeye: It is beyond my comprehension how you guys win at those levels. I've tried and it would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. I know, I know. Just put up with a newbie whine. :cry: :)

Originally posted by Mauer
You guys keep talking about emperor, deity, demi.....pipe down.:crazyeye: It is beyond my comprehension how you guys win at those levels. I've tried and it would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. I know, I know. Just put up with a newbie whine. :cry: :)
:lol:. Seriously though, you can learn a lot from some of the stuff posted here, especially anything by SirPleb. His QSC timeline from GOTM17 (See <here>) helped me a lot when I first started GOTM. Try repeating his moves for that game. He goes into plenty of detail about not just what he did, but why he did it too!

I had a vision in which you all die. Its Sid level. I think it will be France as well. There will be fewer than the normal number of civs - but they will all be 700lb gorillas. Apart from us- we will be runts. It will be a panagaea. The french UU isn't very good but it comes at a nice time so I won't be tempted to trip a GA at an inappropriate time.

You guys keep talking about emperor, deity, demi.....pipe down.:crazyeye: It is beyond my comprehension how you guys win at those levels.
i reviewed GoTM 20 (Spain, diety) using SirPleb's step-by-step writeup for the 1st 80 turns just before GoTM 26 (China, diety). helped me get that win. and go get Dianthus' replayer, reviewing your game vs. the top score in your win catagory. can be very revealing :)

Originally posted by Lord Jimbob
hmmm... deity... zulu... pangea- all of this talk of a conquest-/domination-tailored game makes me think I should do some AW practice before GOTM31... (I don't think my over-worn diplo approach will cut it for this one... :help: )- does anybody have a link or two with some good AW tips/stories? thanks in advance!

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Tiny AWE as China. First post has tips & tricks section

Hard fought Indian AWM with additional difficulty self imposed

PTW AWM as Rome. Where is Rome's Iron?

AWM Mayan easy win. A great map for the Mayans leads to a blowout.

LK61 SG AWE as the Germans

The lack of fresh water leads to AWE Babylonian disaster. :cry:

Not that I'm a big fan of AW or anything... :rolleyes: in case you were wondering. And who was the dummy that wanted to try AWE as Babylon in the first place... :crazyeye:

FWIW - AW plays alot differently from a regular game that happens to have lots of war. In AW you never ever make peace. It's a fun game, just a lot different from a regular conquest or domination game. Real slow tech pace and you do all your own research with the exception of what the GL gives you. Very addicting variant, so watch out. :D

I looked at all those stats put up earlier. There maybe high percentages for diety games, but there are far less submissions.

It is a bit of a balancing act to set up these games. On one hand, you want to present a challenge to the participants; OTOH, if the winning percentage is too low participants may get discouraged and drop out. GOTM's 20, 25 and 26 were high level games, but also featured great starting locations. GOTM26 also started you with 2 settlers, 2 workers and some pre-built roads at one of the start locations (obviously not a random element!) Their winning percentages were considerably higher than GOTM7 or 14.

With an Industrious capability, I'd lean towards it being the Persians. (I wouldn't be at all disappointed if it were Joan, however.) GOTM hasn't done Persia or France for the longest period of the Industrial civs, although I believe both were used in the short lived Medal Play series this fall. These games are usually in development for some time, and the setup for GOTM31 may pre-date the recent SGOTM1 which used Persia. Besides, a Persian GOTM31 may intentionally reward the SGOTM1 participants by getting them in the mindframe of that civ; SGOTM1 would then act like a warm-up for GOTM31. Just a thought.

(Oh yeah - would tend to think the game will be Emperor level.)

Originally posted by civ_steve
These games are usually in development for some time, and the setup for GOTM31 may pre-date the recent SGOTM1 which used Persia. Besides, a Persian GOTM31 may intentionally reward the SGOTM1 participants by getting them in the mindframe of that civ; SGOTM1 would then act like a warm-up for GOTM31. Just a thought.

(Oh yeah - would tend to think the game will be Emperor level.)

Hmm....the persians. I've got a feeling you might be right since you were right about the level.
I agree the map may have been in development for quite some time but the civ could have been easily changed to take advantage of all the players enthused by the SGOTM ( it makes sense for the map maker to have done this)
Even though I played the SGOTM I'll have to get in some practice with the immortals as my blood thirsty team mates didn't give me much of a chance to use them.:)

I f you choose the 'conquest' class game, then you might be surprised at how well you can do. We have a lot of 'new' players who do very well - read the spoilers for previous emperor / demigod / deity games, and look at how people did things. It won't be completely insurmountable, honest. :D

So, are we going to get a screenshot of the starting area before the game starts? I always love seeing how much more other people can deduce form those than I can. ;)

ainwood, please we want a screenshot!

Just one remarks: why we never had a GOTM with few civ in order to see what happens?
War, always War... It's not live! Sorry I'm french!...... ;-))

LeSphinx

Originally posted by LeSphinx
ainwood, please we want a screenshot!
OK then. :mischief:

Attachments

• gotm31small.jpg
    gotm31small.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 382
Top Bottom