GOTM 50 - Pre-Game Discussion

Large! 11 Rival!! 60%water!!!
I think I am sick of conquest or dom victory on such map.
the Gotm49 conquest game beat me so badly, I haven't finished gotm49 until now. (though I choose conquest class)
I may try a 20K or diplomatic or even SS, so IMHO, I think SE is ok.
I alway play conquest class, since this map provide weak peaceful conquest class bonus, I think I will choose open class this time.

and May I guess, whether the administrator make a big joke ,that even the nearest horse is located far away? :lol:

@k-a-bob
A 20K is certainly feasable in these surroundings. More then 20 shields/turn at size 12 before railroads. At bigger sizes you will have some loss due to the water, but then again you will have less competition from the AI. Don't know if NE is the best way to go for your 20K, I have a feeling that SE might have more land available. So perhaps 1 or 2 SE. Besides: I wouldn't make to much fuss over RCP. Your 20K will probably build the FP and then it's best to jump the palace to a new environment.

@tR1cKy
I'll take you on a domination and I hope I'll stay a little longer alive this time. Doubt if I'll play predator though, as I not only want to beat you but also want to get the award. (I'm such a coward)

One question: Is the cultural victory limit here at 100K? Or is this bug with wrong settings only present in C3C?

In vamilla/PTW, cultural victory occurs when you have 100K points (or more) and your culture is greater than the sum of everyone else's.

In C3C, the points required vary with map size. No bug -- design change.

And there's a bug in C3C that edited maps all have 100K as a limit. That is the bug I am thinking of.

Redbad said:
@tR1cKy
I'll take you on a domination and I hope I'll stay a little longer alive this time. Doubt if I'll play predator though, as I not only want to beat you but also want to get the award. (I'm such a coward)
If it wasn't for the absence of fresh water i would probably have fallen in the same trap of moving the settler north. About your choice to avoid predator, well, it's understandable. In game 49 we have 2 of the best players around competing for the domination award in open class. So if you're seriously attempting to get the award, the desire of having at least an even startpoint with them is not a cowardly thing.

BTW, i'll try to feed my ego by going for the award with my score marked as RED instead of BLACK. Moreover, there is a significant fall of submissions in the last GotM (the Civ4 effect is hurting badly), and a further challenge would hopefully attract a few more of the big guys into the game.

So here it is:

[size=+3]DOMINATOR CHALLENGE[/size]

This is the dominator challenge. The prize is the domination award. The extra prize is the gold medal. I intend to take them both in predator class, and will do my absolute best in competing for them. Do you feel brave enough? Then do the same. Do you feel in need of a little advantage over the Mighty Mouse? Pick open class, it's not a problem. Don't think it will help you much: the increased number of enemies to slaughter is expected to generate a few more leaders, and the competing AS are expected to improve their land more quickly. An ansar or cataphract on friendly roads will be able to move 9 tiles per turn.

The challenge is here, oh brave warmongerers. Pick it if you dare and beat me if you can!

(an evil laughter follows, but an appropriate smilie isn't available so you have to imagine it)

:D

I wouldn't be suprised if you got a few more people this time around (for GOTM50, what with the winter holidays, and the fact that 4otm1 went pretty quickly- most people finished it within the first week and are looking for new games to play.

Perhaps a bit more fanfare for the game- this is #50 after all!

ainwood said:
I know its late - but how much resistance would there be to changing this to emperor?

Speaking for myself, if I am going to try 20K for the first time, I would rather not try it on Emperor. But, I'm not even sure I can get it done on Monarch :crazyeye: so it may not matter!

I've never, ever won on emperor, so I'd prefer Monarch. I'd probably still play if it was emperor, but its likely to be either a really short game for me or a tedious one where I'm middle of the pack just waiting around for some smartypants to launch the spaceship.

ainwood said:
I know its late - but how much resistance would there be to changing this to emperor?
Normally i would cheer at it... but on an emperor level the game would become ideal for an ultra-fast spaceship launch, and obviously i cannot withdraw the challenge. Well, it's ok anyway. Deity level unit support for predator?

I'm rather indifferent to the level - either Monarch or Emperor is fine with me. I'll be going 20K again, so I'm actually much more concerned about the Predator "handicap" than the actual level of the game.

Given that there are raging barbs and 11 opponents on a large pangea, I expect the early tech pace to very fast. I also expect that most of the Ancient Age wonders will fall in cascades, so getting a super-fast 20K date is going to be difficult.

The previously-stated Predator handicaps seem rather kind:
1. Emperor (or diety) level unit support hardly has any effect at all, unless the AI overbuilds units during a GA (I've seen that happen on occasion).
2. 70-shield AWs simply means they cost the same as regular knights - no biggie.

IMHO, previous predator handicaps wherein the AI cost factor was raised one level had profound effects on the game (for instance, I think I killed about 700 enemy units while slogging to conquest in COTM17, wherein the AI cost factor was bumped to demi-god). Therefore, note that I am NOT lobbying for additional predator penalties. ;)

What an odd map. I'll prolly settle in place and explore a bit and settle my first ring by the bonuses.

60%, Large world. Maybe it's time for a one city challenge.

Top Bottom