GOTM62 Spoiler

Dinamo said:
Since I'm a newbie here I would appreciate any coments about my game and style of play. Critics will be wellcome .
1. Why did you move north on your first turn?
I suppose you moved not north but northwest to the unshileded grass for one extra shield at your capital. This one extra shield would not be used until your city is size 2. (First citizen would always be on whale.) In my opinion the benefit is not worth an entire turn.

2. In -2500 you started building a wonder in your capital. At a time you only have 3 cities and the island you are on can support nearly a dozen full ones. In my opinion that is too early. You should expand till you have at least 8 cities or your homeland is full before starting wonders.

3. You established Monarchy as soon as possible. Great job.

4. By +0001 you had Lighthouse, Marco Polo's Embassy, and Colossus. Good choices for wonders. I skipped Lighthouse in favor of another wonder once I discovered the island south of my homeland and north of Russia.

5. You mention that in +0480 you get Republic from GL. You do not mention whether you built GL or captured it from Russians. If you built it, that was a mistake. Great Library is rarely a good idea, even more so when you already have Marco.

6. You established Republic in +0860 and Democracy in +1380. Meanwhile your Luxuries were set at 20% which is insufficient for celebration except maybe for your capital and science cities. I realize you were at war and celebrations may not have been feasible. But if they were and you did not do it, you made a mistake.

7. In 1784 you built UN. At a time when there were only 2 rivals left and you were at war with Japanese. UN gave you 2 embassies and a reduced chance of your senate forcing peace with the Japanese. That is hardly worth 600 shields.

Ali Ardavan said:
I only build on forest it when it is at a strategic location and I turn the tile into plains as soon as I can.

I hadn't realised you could transform the city tile - you learn something new every day!:)

Ali : thanks for the tips & observations.
I forgot to mentione that I built GL. It's an old habit of mine and I don't think I'll get rit of it soon. I usualy built Gl to keep it of AI' hands, and allow me to trade my techs to more than one player. And it feels so good when you got the message that you've got a free tech :).
My luxuries were set to 60%. Perhaps you missunderstood me. 20% were taxes and science. After the celebration period was over I swiched to 20/60/20.
When I built UN the Senate kept interfering with my intencions of eliminating the japonese. After building it I was able to quickly eliminate them and I've got a nice positions against americans - many cities captured and 2 wonders. So it turned not to be such a bad decision.
Looking back at my game I think my bigest mistake was to start Lighthouse so soon. My slow early expansion delayed me with many turns.
No problem, next time I'll do better. I don't think I'll get to Peaster's number of cities, maybe half :).

I tried to play this month, but instead of going for the obvious early conquest, I wanted to do a massive expansion and blanket the world with cities. Somewhere along the way, I lost focus and spent a ton of time improving the terrrain around my cities instead of just expanding and/or conquering or building a science foundation. I made it to around the 600s with only about 50 cities and no real shot at finishing in the remaining 8 days. I guess I'll just look out for the april game now. :cringe:

Managed to play most of the game today.
Yet , not finished but almost there....
AD 1000- AD 1300-
25 cities -
Democracy- Income 0 - Cost 31 - Discoveries 3 Turns.
Taxes = 0 Science 80 % Luxuries 20 %
Techs - 47
Wonders - 9 ( Pyramids-Collosus- MP - Michael- Copernicus- Shakespeare-
Newton- Leo - Magellan )
Russian 1 city left- No Capital
Japanese- 7 cities - ( Took Kagoshima as a Beach head )
Americans - 8 cities
English - 9 cities

1300- 1500 Democracy- 36 Cities
Income 3 - Cost 60 Discoveries- 2 turns
Taxes 0 - Science 70 % - Luxuries 30%
51 Techs-
Wonders 12 - Taken from Japs STWA - Built : Bach - SOL

Russians 2 cities - No Capital
Japs - 2 Cities - No capital ( Took 6 of their cities )
American 8 cities- Will keep them as trade pets
English- 6 Cities- ( 4 taken ) will keep trading with London and Nottingham , until they are not usefull anymore

1500- 1700 DEmocracy 34 Cities
Income 113 - Cost 154 - Discoveries 2 Turns
Taxes 10 % - Science 60% - Luxuries 70 %
70 Techs
Building Massive Food FReights - 71 will be ready by the next few turns

Russians and Japanese - One city each
English - 5 Cities - Will attack London and Nottingham with Bombers in the next few turns
Americans - 9 Cities - Washington and Philly taken

1700's
Changed Goverment to Fundy After Apollo was Built
Income 1177 - Cost 160 - Discoveries 12 Turns
Taxes 80 % - Science 0 % - LUxuries 10 %

61 Cities- 77 Techs- 17 Wonders-

English 1 City -No Capital
Americans 6 Cities - Relocated Capital to Atlanta - Ideal Pet for Trade since I got Airports in Philly - WA - and 2 Japanese cities

Spaceship - 16 Components - 3 Modules - 10 Structurals, could Launch in 2 Turns...debating should I go for a Big 40.000 spaceship ...that will give me time to built more wonders ??

Taking a Break ....

I finished over the weekend and submitted earlier this morning.

My full space ship was launched in 1685 and arrived in 1696. This is the earliest landing ever for me at the emperor level.

All rivals were alive at the end, though I took half of Russia. Detailed log follows.

+1505 Laser -> Espionage -> Mobile Warfare. T2L2S6.
+1510 Russian elephant killed in attack on my cavalry in fort making it vet. Salamis founded north of San Francisco on a tiny island with access to 3 whales, one of which is shared with San Francisco. Domestic offshore Gems for 188.
+1515 Russian elephant killed in attack on vet Cavalry in fort. Russian elephant kills Rifleman defending Cremona. Mobile Warfare -> Robotics. SETI built. Cavalry kills Russian catapult.
+1520 Americans build Suffrage. Robotics -> Recycling -> Flight. 100g from hut. Domestic offshore Dye for 62.
+1525 Another Russian elephant killed in attack on vet Cavalry in fort. Flight -> Radio. Cavalry kills Russian catapult. Cremona's rush built tank kills fleeing Russian elephant.
+1530 Another Russian elephant killed in attack on vet Cavalry in fort. Russian elephant kills my Engineer. Radio -> Advanced Flight.
+1535 Advanced Flight -> Combined Arms. Offshore domestic Cloth for 102. Copper to Boston for 187. Tank kills Russian Catapult. Lisbon founded in eastern Russia with access to 2 fish and grass covered fish. Cavalry kills 2 Russian catapults. Dye from Bombay to Russian Novgorod for 392.
+1540 Russian catapult killed in attack on my tank making it vet and injured. Combined Arms -> Rocketry. Nation's first airport opens up in Bombay. Cavlary kills Russian catapult. Russian embassy established. Tank and Howitzer knock out the defenses of Russian Novgorod. Domestic offshore Spice for 148. Domestic offshore Gems from Bombay for 620.
+1545 Tank stacked with Howitzer survives Russian attack. Russians deliver to Calcutta. Rocketry -> Space Flight. Defenseless Russian Novgorod captured for 66g and barracks. Russians demand an audience; I decline; senate signs cease fire with them.
+1550 Americans build UN. English build Darwin. Space Flight -> Plastics. Hamburg founded in a peninsula with access to 3 fish.
+1555 Plastics -> Guerrilla Warfare. English diplomat expelled.
+1560 Spy in Novgorod foils Russian attempt. Guerrilla Warfare -> Labor Union. Russian diplomat expelled. Domestic offshore Oil for 194.
+1565 Russians break cease fire and attack Novgorod. 2 Crusaders and 1 Catapult killed in attack on my vet tank and Cavalry. The city is size 1 and would have been destroyed if my units could not defend adequately.
Labor Union -> Environmentalism -> Superconductor. Battleship destroys 2 Russian catapults and one cannon. Cavalry kills 2 Russian units. Tank kills Russian diplomat and sole defender of Grozny which is then bought for 142g. Got 66g, barracks, and settler. Spy escapes too! Salt to Washington for 384.
+1570 I refused to meet with Russians. English build Eiffel. Superconductor -> Fusion Power. Cavalry kills Russian diplomat. Battleship kills 2 musketeers defending Rostov and turns vet. Rostov captured for 232g, granary, and marketplace. Tank kills Russian diplomat. Prague founded near Genoa with access to 2 fish. T3L3S4.
+1575 Spy foils Russian espionage attempt. 11 cities celebrate. Tanks kill Russian cannon and musketeer. Cavalry kills 2 Russian units.
+1580 Russians steal Plastics. Russian Crusader killed in attack on my tank. Fusion Power -> Stealth. Russian crusader killed. Defenseless Russian Riga captured for 68g. Russian musketeer defending Kursk killed. Kursk bought for 51g. Got 33g but lost vet spy. Twice refused to meet with Russians. Two Russian diplomats killed. Domestic offshore Uranium for 442. Helper city of Salzburg founded on homeland near north pole.
+1585 Stealth -> Future Tech 1. Apollo built. Tank kills Russian cannon and musketeer. Russian crusader and cannon killed.
+1590 Space race starts with me building 3 components. Future Tech 1 -> 2. Turned down Russians again. Bergen founded near Verona with access to fish and pheasant. Venice founded on a small island with access to 3 fish and a pheasant. Domestic offshore Dye, wine for 280, 362. T1L3S6.
+1595 Russian Knight killed in attack on Rostov. Future Tech 2 -> 3. Russian cannon killed. Beads to Osaka for 454. Domestic offshore Oil for 580.
+1600 Russian Knight killed in attack on Rostov. Russians kill my tank. Future Tech 3 -> 4. Defenseless Russian Kuibyshev captured for 37g. The city is destroyed. Russian Crusader killed. Milan founded on a small island with access to pheasant, 2 fish, and grass covered fish. Wine to New York for 147. Ghent founded on the island north of England with access to whale and spice. T3L3S4.
+1605 Future Tech 4 -> 5. Pisa founded with access to Buffalo on continent 5. Tank destroys Russian Kharkov which was the last city of their 5 cities on continent 5.
+1610 Future Tech 5 -> 6. Dublin founded near Ghent. Russian Crusader killed. Domestic offshore Uranium for 370. T1L3S6.
+1615 Future Tech 6 -> 7. Toronto founded on a small island with access to whales.Coal to Washington for 194.
+1620 Russian Knight killed in attack on Rostov. Russian espionage attempt foiled. Future Tech 7 -> 8. Domestic offshore Silk for 278. Melbourne founded on continent 5 with access to whales. Russian diplomat killed.
+1625 Future Tech 8 -> 9 -> 10. Domestic offshore Uranium for 274. Russian Knight killed. Sydney founded near Ghent and Dublin with access to pheasant. T2L3S5.
+1630 Russian Crusader killed in attack on Rostov. Russians steal Space Flight. Minimal space ship ready to launch. Future Tech 10 -> 11. Domestic offshore Uranium for 603. T1L3S6.
+1635 Russians deliver to Lisbon which could use another trade route. Future Tech 11 -> 12. Russian cannon killed. Wine to Buffalo for 410. Silver to St. Louis for 137. Shush founded on continent 5 with access to 2 whales, wheat, and grass covered whale. T2L3S5
+1640 Russian Cavlary killed in attack on Rostov. Future Tech 12 -> 13. Domestic offshore Oil, Uranium for 114, 230. Dezful founded.
+1645 Russians join the space race by building a structural. Future Tech 13 -> 14. Wool to Boston for 267.
+1650 Cure for Cancer built. Widespread celebrations follow. Future Tech 14 -> 15. Baku founded in Russia. Domestic offshore Oil for 206.
+1655 Future Tech 15 -> 16. Dye to San Francisco for 86. Silk to Atlanta for 232. Battleship sinks Russian caravel.
+1660 Russian Ironclad killed in attack on my city turning my Rifleman vet. Russian Ironclad sinks my transport with 2 freights and 1 diplomat aboard. Future Tech 16 -> 17. Shushtar founded with access to peat. Howitzer kills 3 Russian units near Rostov. Battleship sinks Russian transport. Silk to Washington for 356.
+1665 Future Tech 17 -> 18. Ahvaaz founded. Oil to Washington for 332. Domestic offshore Spice for 46. Battleship sinks Russian transport. Coal to Boston for 140. Silk to Detroit for 232.
+1670 Americans land a cannon, an explorer, and 2 cavalry near Genoa. Future Tech 18 -> 19. Silver to Philadelphia for 367. Battleship kills Rifleman defending Krasnoyarsk and the wounded Ironclad hiding there. Space flight -> Americans -> Enthusiastic, but still refuse to agree to my offer of peace. T1L3S6.
+1675 Future Tech 19 -> 20 -> 21. Domestic offshore Gems for 112. Khorramshahr founded. T2L3S5.
+1680 Russians propose cease fire and I accept. Americans join the space race. Future Tech 21 -> 22. Zabol founded. Silk to San Francisco for 858.
+1685 English Destroyer sneak attacks and sinks my empty transport. Future Tech 22 -> 23. Full space ship launched. AEGIS sinks English Destroyer and becomes vet. Domestic offshore wine for 162. Coal to Boston for 224.
*1685*Future Tech 23 -> 24. Somehow I got 1685 twice! Between the two the AI did not get a turn as far as I could tell. Also, the second time only newly generated units could move. Others did not and Engineers did not do any work. My battleship got a movement of 1, either because of healing or because it had 1 left over!?
*1686 Future Tech 24 -> 25.
Attempts to recreate this anomaly of repeated turn failed. Restarting from normal 1685.
+1686 Future Tech 23 -> 24. Cloth to English York for 204. English transport and 4 units aboard killed near Dacca. Silk to American Washington for 360. Vet battleship easily kills Rifleman defending English Dover.
+1687 Future Tech 24 -> 25. AEGIS sinks English destroyer.
+1688 Future Tech 25 -> 26. 2xOil to American Buffalo and St. Louis for 257, 327. Copper to American Chicago for 94. Spahan founded. T1L3S6.
+1689 English Cavalry kills my freight in America. Future Tech 26 -> 27 -> 28.
+1690 Future Tech 28 -> 29. Siberia founded on Tundra at North pole with access to whale. Domestic offshore Silk for 154. Battleship kills Alpine defender of Dover. Helicopter captures Dover for 111g. 2 English Partisans appear which are immediately killed by the battleship. Shiraz founded.
+1691 Future Tech 29 -> 30. Yazd founded. Domestic offshore Dye, Oil for 60, 196. ShahReza founded. Babol founded. Aubaudaun founded. PolDokhtar founded.
+1692 Russians broke cease fire and killed my vet tank in fort with a Cannon. They also killed my spy. Future Tech 30 -> 31. 2xOil, Coal to American Buffalo, Atlanta, St. Louis for 178, 257, 240. Coal to Paasaargaad founded. Stealth bomber kills Alpine defender of Russian Maikop. Battleship sinks Russian transport and caravel. Helicopter captures Russian Maikop for 93g. 3 Russian partisans appear. Vet Stealth bomber & fighter each kill an Alpine defender of Moscow. Vet Stealth fighter killed in attack on Rifleman defending Moscow. AEGIS kills Russian settler to clear the way for Howitzer which easily kills wounded Russian Rifleman defending Moscow. Mech Infantry captures Moscow for 131g, barracks, Library, Oracle, and Sun Tzu. Russian capital escapes to Odessa. 3 Russian partisans appear. AEGIS kills wounded Russian cannon. Rifleman from hut near Babol! English embassy established. English Oxford bought for 820. Got 102g, and 2 units. Lost spy. One English Partisan appears. Rifleman in Oxford killed in attack on the partisan. Oxford Alpine finishes the partisan off and becomes vet. Rasht founded. Jahrom founded. T0L3S7.
+1693 Russian partisan killed in attack on my helicopter making it vet. Oddly enough the other 2 partisans stayed put. Given how wounded my helicopter was the next one would have killed it. English develop Mobile Warfare! English destroyer killed in attack on Dacca. Future Tech 31 -> 32 -> 33. Battleship and Howitzer kill a Russian partisan each. Mech Infantry kills Russian diplomat. AEGIS kills Russian Cannon. Domesitc offshore 2xOil, Wine, Cloth, Gold for 492, 142, 154, 127, 126. Silk to American Buffalo for 224. Undemanded Hides, Copper to American St. Louis for 498, 83. Ganje founded. Advanced Tribe founds Kish of size 2 with Temple and Marketplace. AEGIS kills English cannon.
+1694 Future Tech 33 -> 34 -> 35. Domestic offshore Oil, Cloth, Dye, Gems, Wine for 532, 302, 142, 342, 70. Domestic offshore undemanded Dye for 31. Domestic Silk for 38. Domestic undemanded Gold for 9. Shervaan, Tus, Laar, Fasaa, EndGame1-2 founded. T1L3S6.
+1695 Russian partisan killed in attack on my plane. Future Tech 35 -> 36 -> 37. Manhattan built. Bostaan, Tabas, Neyriz, Andimeshk, Kharg, Karun, Endgame3-5 founded. No longer demanded Silk to English Hastings for 86. 2 domestic undemanded wines to Tabas. T0L10S0.
+1696 Space ship arrives

Score: 2690, 269%, The Magnificent
1682 Citizens
0400 WOW
0400 Space ship
0003 Peace
0180 Future Tech
+25 Barbarians

Ali, very impressive score.
I landed late in 1700 and I was happy with my results
I will be happy to be on the top 10.
Started game 63 on sunday , been busy with some business issues in March hopefully I can play this game with more patience since I have more time this month

Top Bottom