GR26 - AWE Archipelago vs 30 civs (No GL)

ok, got it...will start tomorrow night

I had a look at the save. The situation to me seems hopeless

We can't make any progress with so many enemies and horse armies. They aren't even good enough to cover settlers or workers...I would say we restart... :(

I wouldn't disagree restarting. It doesn't feel like an archipelago anyway. :rolleyes:

Its a shame this one has gone the way of the Dodo :), the start looked promising. Even with iron you would have had difficulties with the number of foes you managed to find, there does seem to be a lot for an archipelago map.

Better luck next time.

I wouldn't disagree restarting. It doesn't feel like an archipelago anyway. :rolleyes:
I forgot this was an archipelago map style. I had to check the title again.

It feels more like a continent map style. That's one big island that we're on! Japan, Iroqouis, Germany, Scandinavia, Pesia, Zulu and Dutch?

Kibitzer:
They have to stick all those nations some where, with 31 to spread around!!!

I agree that there's no hope here. We could hang on and spend quite a lot more time on this, but hardly win.

Kibitzer:
They have to stick all those nations some where, with 31 to spread around!!!

Ya, the 'islands' are the size of continents on a standard map and can have as many civs.

I will start a new one then. I think I will remove the 'no Great Library' bit for now as well and play straight up no-trade AWE.

That sounds fine.

Do you usually leave the AI aggression setting at default for our games? I've been thinking that to give ourselves every chance, we should really set it to maximum to get as many AI-AI wars as possible.

I am fine with that, so far it turned out to be pretty desatrous.

It will be interesting to see if aggression settings will have an impact. I doubt that it will, much of one. I have not done much with that, when I did I could not see any effect. In a game with a lot of open space, the AI does not have many wars.

Resource denial does trigger wars, but most of the time it comes down the no place to grow. In your games that never is a problem as the max cities hits long before land is an issue. Island maps could be different as an island fills, not sure.

Maybe it is a combination of things that trigger AI wars. You might make it an arid and cold archipelago with 70% ocean to cut down on settling room, that, combined with max aggression might get things going sooner.

Actually we don't hit max cities if I chose 70% land until the later game well after lands are filled. The reason is that the player makes cities more dense.

If I choose 60% we hit the limit before lands are filled and at 80% I suspect it would never get hit.

I usually go for 70%.

Thus reducing the need for AI to AI wars. They do not need to fight for land, till much later, if at all.

Top Bottom