• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[Graphic Mod] Varietas Delectat v9.2 [civ specific unit sets]

Some food for thought...

The what if will always be there, as realistic as someone wants to make civ.
We've been talking about civilizations that are no more, like Rome for instance.

Portugal lost the edge, and we are still geographicly, ethinicly, culturaly and socialy, the same, sometimes I belive we are still 500 years ago. Wood and craftsmanship and some creativity where enough to build our carracks, but with no oil, no coal, etc. etc.,today we buy our warships ships from the germans and dutch. Until some time we had one of the better shipyard in the world, not for warships but for freighters and tankers and even ice breakers. We did them on demand for a large number of countries.

Due to political, economical or whatever reason the yard closed, high qualified workers lost their job and could find any for a couple years. Until one went to England were he found an excellent job in 3 days, the employers were so thrilled with the qualification and quality of the guy that soon other former co-workers went also to England.

If Portugal have been conquered or absorbed by Spain 400 years ago, we could be asking how Portugal would be if it still existed today.

And I can tell you how Portugal would look today if it existed still today

A portuguese is a guy using Levi's pants shirts and underwear, Camel shoes and Tiberland jacket and belt, Armani glasses, looking a Samsung monitor connected to a HP PC, writting on a forum on the internet, in english, about a computer game.

And in the army he used/seen the most variety of "Portuguese" equipment.
Uzi's and Galil's, H&K G3, MG3, L79 GL, M60s, M113s, F16s... ... ...

Hey wait we have Cristiano Ronaldo....LOL

This only depends how far you want to stretch your imagination: based on the current geopolitical situation, yeah, there's US, Russian and German military equipment all over the world, US is the superpower, China is the mass-producer, etc.
But "what-if" e.g. Babylon rose to superpower status? Would you not be watching blockbuster movies from Lagash, would your army not be using the mighty Euphrates battleships and Tigris Mk7 Tanks, and would we not use babylonian on this forum?;)

You're right

Portraying a civ out of its era, both backwards (Americans) or forwards (Sumeria) its kind of strange.

There is also the colony state, Egypt was ocupied by the English in the early part of the 20th century. What should they have as a fighter? a Spitfire? But did any Spitfire flew the colours of Egypt?

For instance, Portugal doesn't have bombers, and since we have F16s, can we assume we'd buy american bombers?

The realistic aproach and the what if, both have pros and cons...

I generaly play on historical sets on ramdom maps, meaning I play the Americans only against the English, French, Japanise, Russian... etc etc..
I never played America against the Sumerians...

Right now I'm just checking what are the tanks and cammos civ nations use.
But nevertheless I'll use your mod and change only the modern and future machines (jets, tanks, etc..)...for instance my Egyptian will use the M1, if I remeber right you put a T-72...small stuff like symbols, cammos, and of course only stuff that's in my reach...

Anyway thank you very much for your titanic job in putting all this stuff together...

This mod crashes to desktop every time I try to start a game. I've even done a fresh install of Vanilla, Warlords, and BTS, but still no go. The worst part is that other mods that use Varietas Delectat (which seems to be a lot!) crash to desktop as well. Anybody else have this problem?

And, to be clear, the CTD happens while a new game is being initialized; the mod loads fine, I just can't play any games with it.

Can these units be used for vanilla? the rome units are too cool.....

Can these units be used for vanilla? the rome units are too cool.....

All units can be used for any version (vanilla, Warlords or BtS), it is the xml which slightly differs between the versions. So if you are ok with doing the xml part, you can integrate the units into vanilla civ.

hmm well I have never used different units and have no idea where to start. Can some1 give me a link on how to "install" them into civ?

This mod crashes to desktop every time I try to start a game. I've even done a fresh install of Vanilla, Warlords, and BTS, but still no go. The worst part is that other mods that use Varietas Delectat (which seems to be a lot!) crash to desktop as well. Anybody else have this problem?

And, to be clear, the CTD happens while a new game is being initialized; the mod loads fine, I just can't play any games with it.

No haven't had any troubles with this MOD, but did however experience CTD's with the "BAT" version of the BUG-mod. Are you using other Mod's together with this mod (simultaniously)? Bug and VD work well together. And Bug team uses VD now aswell as a base for their Bat mod. If you are using other mods, try installing just the VD and see how the game will handle.

New civilizations will appear in game? Very much it would be desirable to see Poland, Canada, Ukraine, Australia. This of fashions
is simply best if there will be an opportunity that enclose new civ Bulgaria has not enough:):D

@walbeek: Nope, I get the CTD even on a clean install with Varietas Delectat being the only mod installed. Thanks though.

Great mod, thanks, its so great because it doesn't change gameplay, doesn't add silly civics and doesn't bring any disbalance in the original game,
by the way, you might consider adding new civilizations, cheers.

Nelietis, there are already two civs made for VD (Cuba and Hungary), you can check the New civilizations forum threads.
VD on itself will remain as an only graph mod. I know how frustrating it is when I find something that I like just to find out that it does also something I don't like.
The additional ideas I have are/will be incorporated in the Modern Era Expansion and in Quot Capita mod.

As for patch 3.17 I did a quick check:
it's working now, but I've seen some changes that needs to be adjusted in the next version to be 100% compatible with this patch.

So better to wait with updating to 3.17 until VD 3.7 is available?

So better to wait with updating to 3.17 until VD 3.7 is available?

AFAIK, the only thing would be that some of the advertised changes in the XML would be missing (overwritten by VD).
So you can freely update to 3.17

Top Bottom