Graphic problems on Civ V (mostly x1950pro)

FuriousJew

Chieftain
Patch 1.0.0.20
Windows 7
Amd Athlon X2 5600+
ati radeon x1950pro 256mb
latest drivers
Bunch of icon displaying glitches. overheat is impossible

This always happens to me on DX9, it also affects the game loading screen and the pics on the social policy screen.
This never happens on DX11 however :)

Still, switching to DX11 shouldn't be the only option to solve the graphic bug...
Is it a windows 7 thing? I recently changed comps from a vista to a windows 7 and this DX9 graphic problem didn't happen previously.

Isn't the 1950 pro an AGP card? It really may not be up to speed to tackle the job without heat issues. It is also likely catalyst support probably hasn't upgraded support for it to work well with new games. It definitely wont work in Dx 11 LOL

Rat

Confirmed. On my laptop.
Windows 7 64-bit. DX11 doesn't work on my system. However, when I use DX9, the title screen looks exactly like the one posted, with horizontally shifted pieces of the picture like that.

My laptop:
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 (2.0 GHz)
nVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
2 GB RAM
Win 7 64 Ultimate

I have exactly the same glitches here.
Patch 1.0.0.20
XP SP3, 2 GB
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512 MB (AGP indeed)

I know my system is a little bit short (the game is playable though in 1280*1024 with all options set to low so it could look better) but I intend to upgrade it soon. I guess I'll see the difference :)

It's the same with my PC.
XP SP3
ATI Radeon X1950 pro 256MB

Hope it can be solved by the software site....I don't plan to upgrade my PC recently...

It probably can't be solved.
The X1 series has older drivers than the X2 series and it is not more supported by ATI, so it's really due to the old graphic cards you have :/.
We have a similar thread in tech support, and 3 people said it got better when they bought a new card.

It probably can't be solved.
The X1 series has older drivers than the X2 series and it is not more supported by ATI, so it's really due to the old graphic cards you have :/.
We have a similar thread in tech support, and 3 people said it got better when they bought a new card.

There is actually an upgrade for the X1950 AGP? I thought that was the cat's meow of the format.

Rat

Good question. Did not really think that any AGP cards are still produced, but the 4th link in a google search for ATI + AGP showed me a HD 4600.
I'm looking atm at my favourite retailer, and i see different AGP cards, ATI Radeon HD4670, ATI Radeon HD4650, ATI Radeon HD3650 and some others. But the Geforce models are all low performance.
So there are not that many, but you can still upgrade your system for 50-60$.

It's happening to me on my below-min-specs computer as well. Since it's below min, not sure what point there is in my reporting it, but here it is. My graphics card is an Intel HD 4500M. (Core 2 Duo T-somethingorother for processor.)

It's okay becaus in a couple of weeks I'll be playing it on a Core i7 with an ATI Radeon 5850. That should do it. ;)

I went looking for the images in question on my disc, wondering if simply making them bigger might make things line up right, but I couldn't find them anywhere.

There is actually an upgrade for the X1950 AGP? I thought that was the cat's meow of the format.
Rat

There are relatively modern cards available, but AFAIK not DX11 cards anymore. I have seen people complaining that the driver support for the ATI AGP cards is pretty bad. Back in the day I had never much problems with the drivers for my 7900GT AGP, the fastest nVidia AGP card seems to be a Axle 7950 GT, but it is seriously overpriced and would be more of sidegrade to a X1950.

So I would recommend upgrading to another AGP card only in a really desperate situation, as you might end up paying $50 just to find other issues popping up :(

Whenever I pull up the "Choose Technology" pane or the city detail overlay, I keep seeing the wrong sized icon graphics for wonders and tile output. It displays icons from the "small" sheet but it is clipping from the "large" sheet.

The problem is that I'm seeing icons that don't belong and they are halfway clipped, making the UI nearly unreadable in those areas.

Any idea how to fix this?

Screenshots:

I have exactly the same issue and i cant find a sollution anywhere.
I´m runnig CIV 5 on win7 pro, ATI X1800, newest drivers, all paches to civ applied.

Anybody knows how to fix this???

Thank you

nanogod

Firaxis is apparently not willing to support the ATI X1000 series of gfx cards, and I don't think there's any way to make it work without a patch.

Yep, it's a Radeon X-Something.

Bummer.

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

I'm experiencing some issues with my X1950 Pro card (which is 512MB and PCIe), though not the loss of texture(fog of war) or the icons resizing; what I am experiencing is the game re-generates the textures on the map every now and then, randomly, which only lasts for 1-2 seconds but it can be annoying.

Full system specs here (bottom of the page)

Playing on medium settings, full-screen, 1280x1024.

Top Bottom