Graphics/Sound Problems? - Please post your DX Logs.

Files attached. I have included two screen shots in the zip file to show the problem. I compressed the graphics files in Paint Shop Pro to keep file size down so they will be fuzzy at the edges of shapes etc but on screen they are sharp. They will show some geometric shapes in the split second of the screen shot, but they do not do justice to the pyrotechnic display thats going on :)

one ommission is the Bios, I checked it last night and it is out of date (BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4T533-C ACPI BIOS Revision 1009 12/25/2002), so I am working on that, should have the new one by Friday 9 Dec - but many with newer systems, and defacto newer bios, are still having issues, so I doubt my updating it will solve all the ills. My 3DMark05 score is horrendous - 1636 - and the reported frame rate during 3DMark05 testing was hopeless - averaged around 2-6fps. So there is a 3D support problem which is probably the Bios, I dont believe that will account for all ills (DXdiag 3D tests seemed to go ok, will know on Friday. I will edit this Friday / Saturday if there is a huge difference with the new Bios.

Sound Driver: Creative Labs 5.12.3.381 02/04/2003
ATI Driver: Tried the Catalyst V5.11 & V4.12 (as such, pretty much the same hassles evident with both)
Windows: XP SP2
Civ 4: Patch 1.09 and their version of Directx 9.0c
Monitors: Viewsonic's own drivers Windows certified versions
.NET loaded fully updated
Windows fully updated
I have also checked out the peripherals - scanner, laser printer, etc by unloading them & drivers in case something really wierd was going on, but nothing there.

Been through all the suggested fix lists on this site and on 2K's no joy so far.

Symptoms are:
- Permanently black background to the game
- I can see the resource markings, everything else on the map is not visible, its allblack.
- Leader photos & the opening pictureof a Warrior have random geometric shapes - usually elongated triangles (2 x long sides, 1x vertical short side) appearing overlaying changing random parts of the photo
- The main play screen has very large elogated triangles shooting in and around the play area, and at the same time a large number of straight lines usually white & vertical or horizontal flickering around mainly in bottom right of the screen. A series of lines usually appears from the top right and converge at a 45 degree angle onto the settler in the cetre of the screen in the opening play area, tends to drift around a bit after that
- The background to a city appears to be grey if I zoom out far enough, and some strange moving video under it, looks like some form of terrain detail but in shades of grey, moves left to right
- The opening pre-play screens all have mega numbers of geomatric shapes flying about and individual lines appearing at all angles - quite pretty in a funny sort of way

If anything the 1.09 Patch appeared to make it worse

Sound seems fine, and all 2D related detail like the surround detail on the Play screen is fine (when you can see it amongst the flying shapes!). All 2D screens for Techs, city boards, etc etc are ok - allbeit overlaid with the by now infamous flying triangles and shooting white lines every where.

Never got past 'Turn 4' - no point, cant see anything to do anything ....

Other than that I'm doing good :)

Regards
Zy

Having lots of problems running this game:cry: :crazyeye: :mad:

I did have one lock up, but mostly the screen either begins flickering, or just plain turns black. The only thing visible are the game play buttons at the bottom and top. And, weirdly, the cows.

My computer is only a couple years old AND I just put a new video card into it...because I heard that one couldn't play the "great" new Civ 4 without a better video card. Not a great one, but around $80 bucks.

So far this game (4) is a real bummer. I've played Civ since the original game. And the coolest thing about it was that it was incredibly addictive, yet was a very small program. Didn't matter that the graphics were not that great...the game itself was great. And you could play it the first time you sat down! But it was just as exciting the thousandth time you played it! Moreso even.

Oh, I did download and install the patch. What a waste of time! Problems actually got worse! Nice patch:(

I'd like some help solving this problem...before I put Civ 4 up for auction on Ebay for $5.

Thanks

Klausmann

(My dxdiag file is inserted below.)

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/6/2005, 13:22:33
Machine name: YOUR-6JNHHU0520
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 06
System Model: DA193A-ABA 754n
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 238MB used, 998MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.
Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: All tests were successful.
Music Tab: DirectMusic test results: All tests were successful.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce4 MX 4000
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0185&SUBSYS_A0933842&REV_C1
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6693 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/29/2004 16:50:00, 3736704 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 10/29/2004 16:50:00, 2826944 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-42C5-11CF-D741-998060C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0185
SubSys ID: 0xA0933842
Revision ID: 0x00C1
Revision ID: 0x00C1
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Deinterlace Caps: {212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_57701462&REV_02
Manufacturer ID: 65535
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5730 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 10/1/2004 10:24:02, 2279424 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xF5F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 192000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 32
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 32
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Sound Test Result: All tests were successful.

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5730 (English)
Date and Size: 10/1/2004 10:24:02, 2279424 bytes
Cap Flags: 0x41
Format Flags: 0xFFF

-----------
DirectMusic
-----------
DLS Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\GM.DLS
DLS Version: 1.00.0016.0002
Acceleration: n/a
Ports: Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port
Realtek AC97 Audio, Software (Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal
Microsoft MIDI Mapper [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
Test Result: All tests were successful.

-------------------
DirectInput Devices
-------------------
Device Name: Mouse
Attached: 1
Controller ID: n/a
Vendor/Product ID: n/a
FF Driver: n/a

Device Name: Keyboard
Attached: 1
Controller ID: n/a
Vendor/Product ID: n/a
FF Driver: n/a

Poll w/ Interrupt: No

-----------
USB Devices
-----------
+ USB Root Hub
| Vendor/Product ID: 0x8086, 0x24C7
| Matching Device ID: usb\root_hub
| Service: usbhub
| Driver: usbhub.sys, 8/4/2004 00:08:42, 57600 bytes
| Driver: usbd.sys, 8/29/2002 06:00:00, 4736 bytes

I also have very "stuttery" opening sequence (which is beautiful, by the way...at least I think it could be it it were smooth). And the wonder movies are bad too, as if you are seeing only every twentieth frame or so.

Sorry.

I recently installed Asus N6200 (I'm almost certain that N stands for NVidia) this causes the sound to vanish!
It only vanishes for Civ4, and only after playing a game for 1-5 min.
I've tried upgrading my sounddriver Realtek AC'97 to version 3.58, but this had no effect. I also tried downgrading my graphics driver to 81.89 (which my previous graphics card worked adequatly with), but no effect.
I'm going to try to downgrade it to 71.89 now.

Any other ideas?

System:
P4 3.0, 1 GB Ram, Asus N6200, Realtek AC'97.

Windows XP Pro SP2

Edit:

I found the solution. Instead of letting Windows install the driver I used the program on the CD to do it.

Turns out this did not solve my problem after all. The game worked for one day, but now I'm back att square one. I tried Harkonnen's fix, but that did not help me.

Attachments

• DxDiag20051209.txt
    39.4 KB · Views: 73
s3d
1) Your link is wrong (your copy-pasted it along with dots (...))

2) Turning on DEP may only increase intensity of crashing (access violations). Though, any access violation caused by DEP is the thing that'd better be access violation than continued execution :)

3) So far DEP works only for AMD64

Harkonnen said:
1) Your link is wrong (your copy-pasted it along with dots (...))
fixed

Harkonnen said:
2) Turning on DEP may only increase intensity of crashing (access violations). Though, any access violation caused by DEP is the thing that'd better be access violation than continued execution :)

Not necessary if there is exeption handler in the code. In this case flow will pass dangerous plase without screwing the memory, though will not do something.

Harkonnen said:
3) So far DEP works only for AMD64
You probably mean hardware DEP. I'm talking about windows software emulation. Anyway it does help me.
Additional benefit of DEP is that then it does crash (on 1600x1200 for me) it crash to desktop, no need to reboot.

s3d said:
You probably mean hardware DEP. I'm talking about windows software emulation. Anyway it does help me.
Additional benefit of DEP is that then it does crash (on 1600x1200 for me) it crash to desktop, no need to reboot.

As far as I understand what DEP does, it requires that CPU distinguishes 'EXECUTE' bit from 'READ' bit. I don't know how software emulation might work without that... only in case it blocks any access to memory page and then checks whether it was attempt to read or to execute (by checking faulting EIP), but probably that's too much an overhead. On the other hand, stack grows same way, so it is probably not so much an overhead.

My civ's leader (or Sid in the case of the tutorial) is just a set of teeth, eyes and eyebrows as well as the terrain disappearing when one zooms in on a city/unit (everything is black).

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    51.5 KB · Views: 61
ok, intro is blank but can still hear noises, main menu comes and no options, click in the left corner and the screen gose away like the options were invisable.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    36.2 KB · Views: 153
Kevida
Glaudge2
You both have "AGP Status: not available". This is not normal, especially with Glaundge's video. Please search my fix thread for "kilim" (this is forum member nickname) - he had exactly same problem with his home PC, and we have fixed this problem. I do not remember the whole story right now...

There is "search this thread" button at the top just in case you never used it before...

Ive posted this in about 5 diffrent sections, with no reply

When my game starts i see no demo start and when the world comes up i get no selection options.

I am running a 3.2Ghz proccessior a BFG 6800gt with 2gb RAM

Im pretty sure its not a memory problem, Ive tried dxdiag and that didnt reveal anything.

So looking for ideas.

A quote form Take 2 Technical Support
We have checked your DXDIAG and noticed that you have a Intel 82865G
Graphics Card, unfortunately that graphics card doesn't support the game,
tyhe game requires a graphics card with Hardware transform and lighting. A
list on the box tells you the cards which will work for Civ 4.

Oh well I am stuck with a $60.00 game that I can't play (Target doesn't return opened software)

My Specs:

Gigabyte K7 nforce2 mobo (latests chipset drivers - 5.10)
Athlon 2500+
768mb ram
128mb Nvidia fx5200 (latests gfx drivers - 81.95)
nforce2 audio (latest audio drivers - 4.62)
WinXP pro

Currently running Civ4 at:

1024x768 res
Low gfx settings
Fullscreen (changing this doesent help tho)

Other Stuff

Also using Harkonnens patch (little impact)
Current test map - huge, 12civs, pangea

As of now the game runs very sluggishly, not unplayable, but its very sluggish (i.e. delays to open advisor screens, delays when zooming in and out), I cant play this game for more than an hour without closing it cuz of the speed. Even when scrolling its somewhat delayed, infact the only screen that seems to not lag is the global view. Additionaly it doesent really matter how big or small of a map I run, if there is a difference, I cant feel it. I have not had any cdc or error message problem, its just this notable delay. Currently my AA and anisotropic filtering settings are "application controlled" - so maybe this could impact a card like the fx5200?

Well theres my problem, anyone experience something simular or know how to rectify?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    35 KB · Views: 89
Hi

I running XP pro on a P4 2.66GH with 1gb ram.
I have an Acer monitor set up as a Radeon 9000 family with 120mb ram

Initial would not display at all and I updated the driver. Now the start up screens work but at start of game, screen goes blank and monitor comes up with no signal.

If I tab back to windows screen works fine. Also screen works fine in tutorial mode. I have tried small, normal and huge size worlds all have same problem.

Have installed the 1.09 patch.

Any help appreciated

Ok guys my problem is in game, no prob starting etc, game is running smoothly until a faction leader comes onto the screen with a message after that graphics are slow, unresponsive and jerky. I can solve this by minimising civ then returning to game from win xp. Amd xp2200, geforce 6800, 1.28gb ram. Have updated vdeo card drivers slight improvement. View attachment DxDiag.txt

Top Bottom