1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by stealth_nsk, May 12, 2016.

1. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I will admit, I am not happy with the direction the graphix are headed. If the game has solid game play and its engine can support (100's) of units and cities without stutter or crashes I will withhold judgement.

Any word on if the Engine is 64 bit and/or supports multi core/thread cpus?

2. hugojackson18

hugojackson18 Warlord

I'm just talking about the level of quality of their campaign map. Not talking about the style, I'm talking about the realistic elements of atmospheric that are in the scene, nice textures and models and the whole feel of "we're releasing a AAA strategy game in 2016 for PC". Not a free to play mobile game.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

3. Toulouse

Toulouse Warlord

Yes CA even has a mobile F2P game, called Total War Battles: Kingdoms, that looks better than Civ 6.

4. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Yeah, but if you've been a fan of the franchise, the last 2 mainline game has 1 cartoony and 1 realistic look. If you go further back, we can generously place Civ3 under 'realistic' and Civ1 &2 as cartoon-like.

I don't see a precedent for Civ6 going all in on 'gritty' next-gen graphics. Whatever that means. This sounds a lot like people dismissing Nintendo games because it has color in them and didn't come in shades of grey and brown only.

For reference, Civ4 didn't look good when it came out either, I remember some back-talk about it. But no one cared as much then.

5. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I'm in the "too saturated" choir, but I'm glad they didn't go for this look either, that would have been just depressing. I like Civ to be in colour, just not technicolour. For me, the ideal colour palette is the colours you actually see when you see Earth from above, like the pictures below, and Civ5 came decently close to that.

Spoiler :

6. hugojackson18

hugojackson18 Warlord

I totally agree with this. I'm not talking about the saturation or the colors but more about the details on the map.

7. crazyewok

crazyewok Warlord

The graphics are god awfull. It looks like some crappy mobile game.

Far to cartoony

If the quality of graphics are anything to go by I wont be buying.

Hell Im not really bothered by graphics normally so when I say it looks bad.....

8. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Ok, yeah that's a different subject. More detail wouldn't hurt, but apart from the trees, I can live with the current graphics once (if) colours get adjusted.

9. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Yea, I agree with that too. That's what I liked about the Civ5 style. It felt like Earth from afar, it was pretty, and the cities looked pretty cool also, especially when they were sprawling. They looked a bit better closer up. The smoke from damaged improvements was really cool, too, and, the unit style made it feel like the units were actual armies.

10. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

Civilization is a gentleman's game, to be played by gentlemen who know their history. These graphics do not pass masculine muster.

11. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Not everyone agrees with you though. Others complain that the details are fine but the saturation and colors are off.

It doesn't look like anyone will be satisfied until the game completely reverts back to Civ 5 graphics.

12. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

Its the style overall. A lot of us prefer the Civ5 art style as a baseline and general direction, yea. They could have started with that as a baseline and improved upon it.

As for the Civ6 style, there are things I think they can improve if they keep with it, though.

13. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Oh please, that's just low. People bring up relevant points. Is it possible to please everybody? No. Do they have to please everybody? No. But there are no-one here who claim that going back to Civ 5 graphics is the only possible solution.

14. hugojackson18

hugojackson18 Warlord

I think it's also the contrast between the cover Artwork and the game style. It was such an amazing thing finishing the trailer like this and I think most of us were just expecting the game to go in that direction, and what a surprise.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

15. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I think it's a fair assessment since people can't seem to agree on what exactly they hate about the new art direction. Some say it just needs to be tweaked here and there. Others say it needs a more extensive overhaul. And others still provide no useful or constructive input whatsoever.

Case in point:

16. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

It's a god damn big jump from the observation "Some (...) provide no useful or constructive input whatsoever" to the conclusion "It doesn't look like anyone will be satisfied before they revert to Civ5 graphics", however!

17. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

As brianshapiro said, it's looking like a lot of people want to use Civ 5 as the baseline/launch point so I don't see how that's a "big jump."

People have wildly different opinions on what should be changed to make the game look better, and let's not forget there are also a great many who don't really have a problem with how it looks.

Meanwhile, Civ 5 aesthetics seem like something everyone can still get behind.

18. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

The big jump is that we say Civ 5 should be the baseline and starting point.

You say only way to make people satisfied is by making Civ 5 the finishing point. Which is something entirely different.

19. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Are you saying it wouldn't make more people happy?

Would you personally prefer the Civ 6 graphics we've seen so far over returning to the Civ 5 art style?

I'm arguing that Civ 5 can be the finishing point until later patches and expansions can develop on that.

I think that would make more of the naysayers happy judging by the reactions we've been seeing.

20. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I would prefer Civ 6 graphics with tweaked colours and new trees, yes. Is it *better* than Civ 5 graphics? In some aspects not, in some aspects I think yes, but either way, I wouldn't want a new game with the same graphics. I just don't want with a colour palette as downright hideous as the one Civ 6 currently has.